V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 20, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #61 of 1,160

How significant is the boost in clarity? I bought my M-100 the end of April but am seriously considering the Crossfade Wireless. They sound so great that my main worry is that the CFW won't be as good, or its sound won't resonate as much with me.

Originally Posted by RedJohn456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would it be a good purchase for the improved clarity, even if I don't care much for using wireless headphones? I am more than willing to give up Clique fold for improved sonic clarity 

To me the improved quality primarily comes from the trebles. Where I felt the M-100 had more neutral treble range, there was more sparkle in the CrossFade Wireless which to me felt also brought more clarity. Side-by-side, I feel the CrossFade Wireless signature is more appealing to my tastes but it's hard to quantify "how much" the boost is.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #62 of 1,160
To me the improved quality primarily comes from the trebles. Where I felt the M-100 had more neutral treble range, there was more sparkle in the CrossFade Wireless which to me felt also brought more clarity. Side-by-side, I feel the CrossFade Wireless signature is more appealing to my tastes but it's hard to quantify "how much" the boost is.

So based on the "tighter" bass and slightly less pronounced mids, I'd venture to say they tweaked the sound to be a little more bright. I really enjoy the warmth of the M-100 so I'm unsure if I'd enjoy these as much.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #63 of 1,160
So based on the "tighter" bass and slightly less pronounced mids, I'd venture to say they tweaked the sound to be a little more bright. I really enjoy the warmth of the M-100 so I'm unsure if I'd enjoy these as much.

It's probably best to be able to listen first hand. In your paraphrase it sounds like you're expecting a big difference in signature. Let's just say if one had the M-100 & the XS side by side and is determined they have very different signatures, then the CrossFade Wireless is more like a further tuned M-100. It doesn't have a completely different signature. It has the same drivers as the M-100 and the cups (looks?) the same. But naturally internally (the dampening, etc.) would be different since there's more electronics cramped in the cups.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #64 of 1,160
Oh shoot. I just reread the article and it says 3D shield voucher. I guess i overlooked this detail as i have read the title again and again. Sorry for misleading you guys. But does this mean you also cant use it for XL pads at least? I was hoping, at first, to get the XL pads bundled. I think, for me, it is a better decision to wait for the reviews and more pictures/videos. I have no use for the voucher practically because I am in no need of the added dopeness and i have no brand as of now(But i am hoping to have one, oneday).

I had thought you already pre-ordered and the credit worked on the XS as well. Would be an even sweeter deal if the voucher works sitewide.

I can confirm that the voucher is only for custom shields. The e-mail with the voucher code has this statement:

"The VIP Voucher Code is valid just for the purchase of Over-Ear Custom Shield kits"

Hope this helps clear things up!

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #65 of 1,160

It's probably best to be able to listen first hand. In your paraphrase it sounds like you're expecting a big difference in signature. Let's just say if one had the M-100 & the XS side by side and is determined they have very different signatures, then the CrossFade Wireless is more like a further tuned M-100. It doesn't have a completely different signature. It has the same drivers as the M-100 and the cups (looks?) the same. But naturally internally (the dampening, etc.) would be different since there's more electronics cramped in the cups.

Definitely strongly considering a purchase although I'd prefer to not have to use their return policy so I'm trying to figure out beforehand as much about it as possible. Frankly my main concern is having the sound be a little less "fun" and also having a reduced soundstage.

It would be a great feat if V-MODA crafted excellent wireless headphones since I've yet to hear a pair that doesn't sound better wired than it does wirelessly.

Since just about everyone in this thread asked: is there any way to fold the CFW and how big is the case it comes with?

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #66 of 1,160
I am also interested in these but it would be good to have a bit more information at this stage - we just seem to have had some general marketing speak so far, which is kind of disappointing given this is a dedicated Head -Fi forum.

I was also wondering about Val running in them - do people really use the M100 for running/gym work - surely they would get ultra swety? (Although I suppose when you are CEO you could swap your pair out every week.)

Aug 22, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #67 of 1,160
  I am also interested in these but it would be good to have a bit more information at this stage - we just seem to have had some general marketing speak so far, which is kind of disappointing given this is a dedicated Head -Fi forum.

I was also wondering about Val running in them - do people really use the M100 for running/gym work - surely they would get ultra swety? (Although I suppose when you are CEO you could swap your pair out every week.)

They can withstand 70 drops and the ear pads are replaceable.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #69 of 1,160
  Fair enough, you've raised a good point about my phrase not being clear and therefore has been misinterpreted.

Wherever I use the word "wireless" in my post, I mean the "CrossFade Wireless model". I do not mean "wireless mode". As mentioned in my post, I couldn't distinguish wireless mode vs non-wireless mode in the CrossFade Wireless therefore whenever I used the word "wireless" I implied the model, not the mode.

Therefore :-

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the wireless has an overall greater sense of clarity."

means

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the CrossFade Wireless model has an overall greater sense of clarity (than the M-100 - regardless of wired or wireless mode)."

About Apt-X, I've yet to come across a pair of headphones that support it that also sounds good. I started an APT-X thread 3 years ago and I still don't get any practical clarity. So it's hard to even tell if Apt-X is worthy or not.

Still hardly believable for me since

— you're posting your impressions on a pair of wireless headphones, just to correct afterward that you've been using them wired, and
— you somehow find a headphone with a poorer-by-default acoustics (since cups have to host the battery and DAC) better sounding.

But then there still are people around who think that Grados are good headphones, so I guess every man's opinion is his opinion and should be respected.

I, however, still believe that this thread can be extremely misleading for an early adopter since there is no word on Apt-X, no mention initially that the headphone is no longer foldable, and your opinion of the newer headphone sounding better just adds to the mix.

Regarding Apt-X, the point I was trying to make is that if both source and headphones support Apt-X then differences with compressed music are absolutely minimal (there's been studies showing differences of around 1% only) and the only thing left is the ability of the headphone to catch up with the sound quality. If Apt-X is missing, then the headphone is a movies/gaming headphone at most and should be relatively cheap, otherwise there is no point.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #70 of 1,160
Still hardly believable for me since

— you're posting your impressions on a pair of wireless headphones, just to correct afterward that you've been using them wired, and
— you somehow find a headphone with a poorer-by-default acoustics (since cups have to host the battery and DAC) better sounding.

But then there still are people around who think that Grados are good headphones, so I guess every man's opinion is his opinion and should be respected.

I, however, still believe that this thread can be extremely misleading for an early adopter since there is no word on Apt-X, no mention initially that the headphone is no longer foldable, and your opinion of the newer headphone sounding better just adds to the mix.

Regarding Apt-X, the point I was trying to make is that if both source and headphones support Apt-X then differences with compressed music are absolutely minimal (there's been studies showing differences of around 1% only) and the only thing left is the ability of the headphone to catch up with the sound quality. If Apt-X is missing, then the headphone is a movies/gaming headphone at most and should be relatively cheap, otherwise there is no point.

To be fair, AnakChan says several times that he has used the CFW in BOTH wired and wireless modes and has given his opinion on their sound quality. I'm also not sure how this thread is misleading, either. The company has come on here and listed the selling points of a new product and someone has given their initial impressions. If Apt-X and folding are not listed as features, we should assume they are not included. It's a bit silly to ask a manufacturer to advertise what a new product does NOT have when announcing it!

Finally, to consign anything without Apt-X to the realm of movies/gaming is a bit extreme, given the proliferation of iDevices as portable sources which don't support Apt-X.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #71 of 1,160
Count me in on that extra sparkle in the treble. There's plenty of BT options that lean to a darker sound. Using the BT option on my Soundblaster E5 - AKG Q701 does not produce that darkness whereas other BT solutions I've tried do. So it's not inherent to using BT as I was beginning to think. I recognize the M 100 sound is famous for meaty bass but as long as there's some bite to the brass and Joe Walsh' guitar, I'm interested. . Helps that Val K seems to radiate respect for both engineering, design tasks and his customers' passions too

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #72 of 1,160
Val, hopefully the wing plates are made of a more durable material like aluminum or steel.
I'd be all over these if they are, but it's doubtful.

The plastic wing plates are simply not durable enough to withstand daily use. They will crack and break; when, not if.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #74 of 1,160
Sounds like quite the unique sound. Surprised the sub-bass could be pushed so high without distorting actually.

With proper amping (and on some songs...plus a proper volume precut on the EQ), I don't get any audible distortion with the M-100s. And neither one of my two pair of M-100s has ever had its drivers "bottom out" with the bass. M-100s kick ass!

It's okay. If anyone gives you the snobbish audiophile treatment "well, your ears suck, whatever", just ignore them — your hearing is your hearing and that just means that you don't have to waste tons of money to feed your upgrade-itis. While 320 vs. FLAC is really hard, 192 vs. 320 is kind of noticeable, but you've got to have a good source and good phones. It would help to have phones that have less of that boomy bass and don't have a recessed midrange (i.e. not M-100s). But again, if you don't care, it is completely valid, and you should go with whatever you like. M-100s are just not for critical listening, they are fun boomy headphones.

I can hear up to 17 kHz at medium-low volume, up to 18 kHz at medium volume, and 20 kHz at high volume (and am 37 years old), so my hearing is fine. 
wink.gif

Ever since dramatically improving my personalized EQ presets in Rockbox a few months ago, I've always used the "Optimized" and "OptimizedLite" categories when using headphones. These preset categories attenuate the midbass and lower midrange while dramatically boosting the low-end sub-bass. The result is that it eliminates boominess, and replaces it with throbbiness and a hugely-increased soundstage! And the middle and upper midrange doesn't sound recessed at all with these EQ presets.

On the M-100 topic thread, check out this post, this post, and this post....

Originally Posted by Tagjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

surely they would get ultra sweaty?

In the spring and summer, I usually wipe the pads with a tissue after I've been outside with them. No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back