V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #46 of 1,160
As an M-80 owner I've been looking at upgrading to a wireless pair, so this is right up in my alley. I tried out a pair of the new Momentum Wireless over-ears last May and nearly bought them, but since they didn't upgrade the sound quality over my V-Moda's, I couldn't justify the purchase.

Fast forward to today and since I still want wireless headphones after all these months, I'm close to justifying the purchase based on just the cable-cutting convenience. Upgrading from V-Moda to V-Moda would jive really well with me.

That being said, I too am curious if the pair has Active Noise Cancelling and Apt-X, and it would be great to have a firm acknowledgement from Val one way or the other in that respect.

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #47 of 1,160
You just may end up finding an iPhone makes a fine amp for these
wink.gif

That is,...if you don't boost 32 Hz by more than 6 dB.... 
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

Earlier this evening I was cranking up some good rock, pop, and jazz tunes from the '80s, and was boosting the low-end sub-bass by nearly 40 dB on many of the songs (if you combine my Rockbox EQ presets with the bass boost switch on the Cayin C5 portable amp).  Sounded spectacular!

(The M-100s naturally boost the sub-bass by an additional 8 dB on top of that, too, if you were wondering!)

The differences are very audible — like comparing a 192 MP3 to 320 MP3.

With M-100s, I can't notice any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3.  Would someone like me be able to tell a difference in those wireless signal formats you're talking about?

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #48 of 1,160
That is,...if you don't boost 32 Hz by more than 6 dB.... :ph34r: :D

Earlier this evening I was cranking up some good rock, pop, and jazz tunes from the '80s, and was boosting the low-end sub-bass by nearly 40 dB on many of the songs (if you combine my Rockbox EQ presets with the bass boost switch on the Cayin C5 portable amp).  Sounded spectacular!

(The M-100s naturally boost the sub-bass by an additional 8 dB on top of that, too, if you were wondering!)

With M-100s, I can't notice any difference in sound quality above 192 kbps MP3.  Would someone like me be able to tell a difference in those wireless signal formats you're talking about?

I was aware of that 8 dB boost! Sounds like quite the unique sound. Surprised the sub-bass could be pushed so high without distorting actually.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #51 of 1,160

It's okay. If anyone gives you the snobbish audiophile treatment "well, your ears suck, whatever", just ignore them — your hearing is your hearing and that just means that you don't have to waste tons of money to feed your upgrade-itis. While 320 vs. FLAC is really hard, 192 vs. 320 is kind of noticeable, but you've got to have a good source and good phones. It would help to have phones that have less of that boomy bass and don't have a recessed midrange (i.e. not M-100s). But again, if you don't care, it is completely valid, and you should go with whatever you like. M-100s are just not for critical listening, they are fun boomy headphones.

What grinds my gears is when somebody says that a wireless version of phones with "same drivers" and same dimensions with questionable Apt-X support can sound better than wired and that just does not make sense.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #52 of 1,160

It's okay. If anyone gives you the snobbish audiophile treatment "well, your ears suck, whatever", just ignore them — your hearing is your hearing and that just means that you don't have to waste tons of money to feed your upgrade-itis. While 320 vs. FLAC is really hard, 192 vs. 320 is kind of noticeable, but you've got to have a good source and good phones. It would help to have phones that have less of that boomy bass and don't have a recessed midrange (i.e. not M-100s). But again, if you don't care, it is completely valid, and you should go with whatever you like. M-100s are just not for critical listening, they are fun boomy headphones.

What grinds my gears is when somebody says that a wireless version of phones with "same drivers" and same dimensions with questionable Apt-X support can sound better than wired and that just does not make sense.

Also, I have experimented with lower quality bluetooth headphones a little bit and I still could hear the difference. I used to have Sony MDR-950BT (there is a HUGE thread here on Head-Fi dedicated to them), and while the sound was horrible (super boomy bass with no body, midrange sucked, zero soundstage), I still could distinguish between Apt-X and non-Apt-X easily when listening to paid Spotify.

So, you know, there still could be difference for you. Just go to a Sony Store and try MDR-950BT, their sound signature is somewhat close to M-100. Both are basshead headphones (but 950's suck big time).

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #53 of 1,160
Wow! I just found out that you can buy a verified like new Vmoda XS with the 150$ voucher. This brings me so close to pulling the trigger.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #54 of 1,160
Wow! I just found out that you can buy a verified like new Vmoda XS with the 150$ voucher. This brings me so close to pulling the trigger.

You can use the $150 voucher on any V-MODA product?? Does it work on buying a second pair of these?

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #55 of 1,160
You can use the $150 voucher on any V-MODA product?? Does it work on buying a second pair of these?

Oh shoot. I just reread the article and it says 3D shield voucher. I guess i overlooked this detail as i have read the title again and again. Sorry for misleading you guys. But does this mean you also cant use it for XL pads at least? I was hoping, at first, to get the XL pads bundled. I think, for me, it is a better decision to wait for the reviews and more pictures/videos. I have no use for the voucher practically because I am in no need of the added dopeness and i have no brand as of now(But i am hoping to have one, oneday).

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #56 of 1,160
Oh shoot. I just reread the article and it says 3D shield voucher. I guess i overlooked this detail as i have read the title again and again. Sorry for misleading you guys. But does this mean you also cant use it for XL pads at least? I was hoping, at first, to get the XL pads bundled. I think, for me, it is a better decision to wait for the reviews and more pictures/videos. I have no use for the voucher practically because I am in no need of the added dopeness and i have no brand as of now(But i am hoping to have one, oneday).

I had thought you already pre-ordered and the credit worked on the XS as well. Would be an even sweeter deal if the voucher works sitewide.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #58 of 1,160
I love the smell of bull in the morning. This kind of talk is even worse than talk on golden cables that "improve the sound", diamond HDMI cables and such.

So far there is no single mention of V-MODA being able to do Apt-X in this thread (but a very long list of features that does indeed look nice), so I have to assume V-MODA does not have Apt-X license unless Val explicitly says otherwise. I really hope it does.

TL;DR if it does support Apt-X, the sound off iPhone and such will still be worse than on wired version. If it does not support Apt-X, the sound off everything will be worse, and I don't think it is wise to spend more than, say, $100 on a non-Apt-X enabled headset. If it does not support Apt-X, there is no way the bold part of the quote could possibly be true.

1. If a bluetooth headphone supports Apt-X, it indeed can sound very close to its wired version, but usually don't (has to include a good DAC inside of the ear cup and there is still that acoustics problem; see Tyll of InnerFidelity on Momentum 2.0 wireless review to learn how wired and wireless versions usually compare). But, you still have to have a source that supports Apt-X. MacBook Pro does it out of the box, you can buy an adapter for PCs, but a lot of really popular smartphones do not! iPhone does not support Apt-X. Nexus does not support Apt-X to avoid licensing fees. Same for 1+1 AFAIR. Even if Crossfade Wireless supports Apt-X, there is no way you can get the same clarity on iPhone or a Nexus phone.

2. If it does not support Apt-X, well, the sound quality should be audibly bad. If you wonder about that, you can get one of the Sony wireless headphones, they basically have a profile switch on them between common Bluetooth CSR and Apt-X, basically, Apt-X on and Apt-X off. MDR-1ABT and MDR-10RBT will do. Just pair them with a good Apt-X enabled source (Sony smartphone, MacBook Pro, etc.) and test it out. The differences are very audible — like comparing a 192 MP3 to 320 MP3.

Head-Fi forums have some great investigations on Apt-X quality and overall bluetooth headphones quality, so I advise anybody who's into that to lurk around. 

P.S. I am no hater, and I own 3 V-MODA products, but this is just plain funny.

Fair enough, you've raised a good point about my phrase not being clear and therefore has been misinterpreted.

Wherever I use the word "wireless" in my post, I mean the "CrossFade Wireless model". I do not mean "wireless mode". As mentioned in my post, I couldn't distinguish wireless mode vs non-wireless mode in the CrossFade Wireless therefore whenever I used the word "wireless" I implied the model, not the mode.

Therefore :-

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the wireless has an overall greater sense of clarity."

means

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the CrossFade Wireless model has an overall greater sense of clarity (than the M-100 - regardless of wired or wireless mode)."

About Apt-X, I've yet to come across a pair of headphones that support it that also sounds good. I started an APT-X thread 3 years ago and I still don't get any practical clarity. So it's hard to even tell if Apt-X is worthy or not.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 1,160
Fair enough, you've raised a good point about my phrase not being clear and therefore has been misinterpreted.

Wherever I use the word "wireless" in my post, I mean the "CrossFade Wireless model". I do not mean "wireless mode". As mentioned in my post, I couldn't distinguish wireless mode vs non-wireless mode in the CrossFade Wireless therefore whenever I used the word "wireless" I implied the model, not the mode.

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the wireless has an overall greater sense of clarity."

means

"Comparing the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless against my trusty old M-100, I feel the CrossFade Wireless model has an overall greater sense of clarity (than the M-100 - regardless of wired or wireless mode)."

About Apt-X, I've yet to come across a pair of headphones that support it that also sounds good. I started an APT-X thread 3 years ago and I still don't get any practical clarity. So it's hard to even tell if Apt-X is worthy or not.

How significant is the boost in clarity? I bought my M-100 the end of April but am seriously considering the Crossfade Wireless. They sound so great that my main worry is that the CFW won't be as good, or its sound won't resonate as much with me.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #60 of 1,160

means

Would it be a good purchase for the improved clarity, even if I don't care much for using wireless headphones? I am more than willing to give up Clique fold for improved sonic clarity 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back