V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #437 of 2,828

I totally didn't even see this thread until just now. So, I'm relatively late to the party, but I'll go ahead and say that I'm still loving mine after all this time. I didn't get picked for the reviews, but I bought mine around the time when the winners were announced and some of the reviews were trickling in. I was also extremely impressed with how active Val is on here, although I never got my Faders (I received some Bass Freq IEMs which I've given to a friend), but that's perfectly fine.

Still love my V-Moda M-80's, and look forward to seeing what else is down the line. I think a gaming headset would be great, especially with the shield customization; you have no idea how big of a market you'd tap into if you could plug that in with a 360/PS3/PC and have the custom shields.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #438 of 2,828

Quote:
Has anyone used these with Fostex HP-P1? If so, what's your impressions?

M80 doesnt even need an amp, I can drive them to over my listening level with my clip+. sometimes I use mini3 or gilmore lite but it only makes them louder.
but of course I dont have the HP-P1 so I dont know.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #439 of 2,828

Quote:
Has anyone used these with Fostex HP-P1? If so, what's your impressions?

Val responded to this on a different thread :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563971/how-are-the-new-judes-approved-apparently-v-moda-v80s/60#post_7913475

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #440 of 2,828

Quote:
First of all, forgive me for I am not up-tp-par with the audiophile terms and I might mess this up incredibly.  

After a little A/B ing, I notice that the TMA-1's have a deeper soundstage and M-80's are wider.  The TMA-1's can have some sibilance on certain vocal tracks but M-80's are always smooth.  TMA-1's are more aggressive overall and M-80's are laid back and more pleasant to listen to.  For the bass, M-80's have more of a deeper sub-bass presence and the TMA-1's bass is thicker and has that mid-bass hump if I'm hearing it correctly.  Electronic music sounds really good with the TMA's but I think the M80's might even be better.  On certain tracks, the beats sound excellent in the background while the chords are right in front of your face and the sparkle is all around your head.  I think the M80's are better all rounder but after listening to the TMA's I have decided I need to listen to these more because they are not that bad either.  I think you made the right choice with the M80's but the TMA's bring a different flavor if you need both.  For comfort, TMA's are very comfortable since the clamping force is low.  The cushions on the M80's are much more comfortable though.  Since I feel I might have botched this up, you're welcome  to use my TMA's for a little while and compare yourself.  Just PM me if interested.  

That is so awesome of you, thanks for the offer! It's all good though for now (if my curiosity keeps growing I may take you up on that later), I think I get the idea from your in-depth description of the two. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It seems to me that the M80 might just be a better, slightly more detailed all-rounder (still astounded by its soundstage and imaging) whereas the TMA-1 is just a bit richer in its bassy signature. Thanks again for the nice comparison. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #441 of 2,828
Not sure if ya'll saw this, but M-80's papa was a Rolling Stone, it was on front page last week!  

PS they are now at many Guitar Centers, Microsoft Stores & Radio Shacks in USA, they've landed in France, Japan and more now (head-fi code is still active on V-MODA.com).  Amazon.com now has the second MP run in stock too.

I'm off tomorrow to finishing tuning the 2012 products, so wish me luck!  I'll be re-reviewing ALL feedback on M-80+LP2 threads/reviews to make sure I try to incorporate as many Head-Fiers preferences as we possibly can for the greater good of sound.  If you are at CES, I'll plan a few Head-Fi open-house hours at our private suite.

Happy holidays everyone, let me know if ya'll have any Qs!

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #442 of 2,828

Quote:
That is so awesome of you, thanks for the offer! It's all good though for now (if my curiosity keeps growing I may take you up on that later), I think I get the idea from your in-depth description of the two. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 It seems to me that the M80 might just be a better, slightly more detailed all-rounder (still astounded by its soundstage and imaging) whereas the TMA-1 is just a bit richer in its bassy signature. Thanks again for the nice comparison. 

I think you nailed it better than I did.  The offer stands whenever you'd like.  

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #444 of 2,828
Hi there !

I'm asking 1 question in french forums which reviewed this device and got no answer, so i'm trying here.

According to me, the real advantage of the Crossfade serie is the "unpluggable" wire & kevlar casing which makes the wire hard to break and in case of connection issue offers the customer a way to replace it without throwing it or attempting a desastrous welding (which is the case for porta pro & senheisser pxXXX, models for which the casting of the jack plug is just over ****ty and no comment on the wire quality also). 

Are those wires exist in a generic version (double mini jack wire) ?

(sorry for my approximative english...)

Thanks in advance,

Lantenac. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #445 of 2,828
Quote:
Hi there !

I'm asking 1 question in french forums which reviewed this device and got no answer, so i'm trying here.

According to me, the real advantage of the Crossfade serie is the "unpluggable" wire & kevlar casing which makes the wire hard to break and in case of connection issue offers the customer a way to replace it without throwing it or attempting a desastrous welding (which is the case for porta pro & senheisser pxXXX, models for which the casting of the jack plug is just over ****ty and no comment on the wire quality also). 

Are those wires exist in a generic version (double mini jack wire) ?

(sorry for my approximative english...)

Thanks in advance,

Lantenac. 

If you are asking whether the Crossfade M80s have a detachable cable (double mini jack cable), then yes, it does. The cable hangs from the left side, and if you buy it from the V-MODA site, you get three cables: 1 regular, 1 1-button control with mic, and 1 3-button control with mic.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #446 of 2,828
I have to say I am really continuing to enjoy these. They have become more comfortable over time and I really do like their balance sonically. Even the treble which I originally found a bit rolled off is not bothering me as I can listen on these for hours without any stress. These have an amazing sound stage considering their size.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #448 of 2,828
Being a sucker for different sound experiences I took my M80 and went to Future Shop and compared these to everything they had demos of on the floor.

After a 1/2 hour these had easily bested all of the House of Marley headphones, and the Klipsch Image 1. The BW P5 was a closer race as they were a bit more comfrey and slightly more isolating. The H&M Exodus and Klipsch to their defense are bass oriented headphones so really are targeted at a different audience. The Exodus is actually a very interesting headphone that would be very good for bass oriented music and acoustic instrumentation but I found the bass to be distorted at even moderately loud levels so I would recommend anyone who wants to try them buy locally from a store with a good return policy.

I think if potential buyers want reasonably balanced slightly relaxed sound the M80 really is the better choice out of what I have heard.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #450 of 2,828
The code is head-fi and it will give 14.4% off you order. If you can live with the V80 color and vampire theme you get the best bang for you buck as sonically they are the same as the M80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back