V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Mar 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,246 of 2,828
Mar 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,247 of 2,828
Mar 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,248 of 2,828

Quote:
I keep my volumes pretty low at work, lower than the level of a normal conversation.  It's not like I'm blasting them for that length of time.  My earlobes also started hurting earlier than that but that's the length of time where it got unbearable and I had to take them off.  I suppose I haven't noticed the discomfort before because most days I'm interrupted fairly frequently.

Yes, 4 hours of any headphone is too long IMO, for the hearing loss risks more than even the discomfort that may occur.  But, you can gently bend them outward to exert less pressure if you like.  Everybody will be different, including our over-ears - its the nature of the ergonomic business.

The M-100/LP2/LP were originally stood for "long/live play" headphones, however, we really do discourage using headphones for more than 2 hours straight without a break no matter what.  Even when I DJ 6-10 hour sets I sometimes take them off fo 10-15 minutes and switch to Faders, mix a few songs with the monitors and cue points only at low volumes.

You only get your hearing once! Did you see my chart I'm working on?

BTW - what volume level are you at?  <85dB?

-v

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,249 of 2,828

Quote:
White is within 4-6 weeks.

Hey Val, regarding the White M80's, will the pricing be the same as the Shadow M80's, or will they cost a premium as a limited edition? Just curious becuase when they are released I'll need to more then likely order them ASAP as I'm going on vacation in the middle of May with the family and would like to nab these before then so I can bring them along!

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #1,250 of 2,828
I'm eagerly awaiting the M80's to be available in my country (the store that carries V-MODA's say the distributor doesn't have stocks yet) so I can try them out myself... I have a feeling I'll like these better than the Beyer DT1350 if it indeed clamps less.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,251 of 2,828

Quote:
Actually wanted to correct my earlier post, I guess I didn't realize how much I normally have to get up and take care of something or simply take the headphones off to talk to someone when I'm at work.  Hunkered down on a project today and after almost 4 hours with no break (i.e. not getting up and taking off the M-80s for anything) the upper lobes of my ears were killing me.  I'm pretty disappointed because I really do enjoy them but I'm not sure if I want to keep them if the long term comfort isn't there.

Val, I bought these from the V-MODA site, would discomfort be considered a valid reason to return them?  I'm thinking the M100's might be better suited for me since they're over the ear.

How long have you owned your M-80? I experienced some discomfort after long sessions in the first month I owned mine, but the pads have now broken in and are pretty much all-day comfy (not that I listen or wear them for more than 4 hours, Val!! I do love my hearing too much to risk loss :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,252 of 2,828
At work I normally keep the volume right around conversation level or a little less, looking at the chart I would say possibly over the 50db shown for speech but definitely less than a shower so <70db.  I tried bending them outward yesterday, it's just one spot at the top & back of my earlobe but I couldn't seem to find a position that didn't continue putting pressure there.  Once I did have them on long enough to cause discomfort taking a ~20 minute break or so didn't seem to help, my ears started hurting again when I put them back on.  Now that I think about it the Bose on-ears I had used to do this too although it took them less time to reach painful in the ear-squishing department.

Quote:

Yes, 4 hours of any headphone is too long IMO, for the hearing loss risks more than even the discomfort that may occur.  But, you can gently bend them outward to exert less pressure if you like.  Everybody will be different, including our over-ears - its the nature of the ergonomic business.

The M-100/LP2/LP were originally stood for "long/live play" headphones, however, we really do discourage using headphones for more than 2 hours straight without a break no matter what.  Even when I DJ 6-10 hour sets I sometimes take them off fo 10-15 minutes and switch to Faders, mix a few songs with the monitors and cue points only at low volumes.

You only get your hearing once! Did you see my chart I'm working on?

BTW - what volume level are you at?  <85dB?

-v

I've had them a little less than a month now, the comfort did improve a lot at first but I do want them to stay comfortable over a longer period when I need to get in "the zone" and get a big project done without distraction.

Quote:
How long have you owned your M-80? I experienced some discomfort after long sessions in the first month I owned mine, but the pads have now broken in and are pretty much all-day comfy (not that I listen or wear them for more than 4 hours, Val!! I do love my hearing too much to risk loss :)

Edit: Was paying attention to how they felt this morning, coming up close on 2 hours without taking them off I started to notice some discomfort.  It seems that for my head at least if I'm taking them off for a few minutes once or twice an hour (average day when I don't have a huge project due soon) then that's enough of a break that they don't cause much of an issue.  Without the interruptions is when they start making my ears hurt.  Others ears may vary, as I said I only have one other set of on-ears to compare to and those cause me pain much faster, I think my ears are just not shaped well for on-ear phones.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,253 of 2,828
Mar 13, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #1,254 of 2,828

Quote:
Hi all, I just wanted to double check about counterfeits. Mine arrived yesterday, and came with no microfiber cloth or 1/4 jack. Did you guys receive these things in your m80s? here's the link to where mine are from:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crossfade-M-80-Shadow-On-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331661884&sr=8-1

any input is appreciated

I didn't get the cloth or adapter and I got mine straight from B&H, which I am sure is an authorized reseller.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,255 of 2,828
Hm, I thought they all came with an adapter, I don't know about the microfiber as I didn't get one. I got mine from radioshack.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,256 of 2,828
it does not come with an adapter (at least it's not listed on the product description on either v-moda or amazon uk/us sites)

and the microfiber is not a cloth is the material of the headband, you can see that in the pictures on the v-moda site or amazon us.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,257 of 2,828

Quote:
Yep, that's why I sold my P5 and looked for better offerings elsewhere. The P5 is a good headphone but it's extremely overpriced and I found that out the hard way. Sometimes it doesn't pay being a B&W fanboy. At least B&W is still one of the best when it comes to speakers.

P.S.
Stay away from their iPod speaker docks too, their very overpriced also and the same goes for their IEM.

I got a B&W Zeppelin from Best Buy. Not the air so it was $400. Floor sample so it was $300. I was very pleased that I walked in with $500 and walked out with $200 left. It was a great deal.
The Zeppelin Mini stinks, Bose with bass. The Zeppelin is awesome, just lacks a touch of bass detail.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,258 of 2,828

Quote:
Yeah I actually returned the B&W P5s....bought them again then realized the sound was just awful compared to the M80s and returned the 2nd pair lol. Also returned the B&W IEMs. WAY too much cord noise. I'm actually discovering the cord noise on the Vibrato to be more than I initially thought, but much much less than the B&W C5s. Wind whistling through  my M80s drives me crazy, but the sound IS really fantastic... still gonna get the M100 when it comes out!!

Ameagis (I think that is how you spell his name) had whistling issues with his Pioneer HDJ 2000. He had special ultra thin sound tape, help me out guys if you know what I am talking about. Take off the shields and put the tape on the inside. It is ultra thin so it doesn't close the headphone at all. He said there was tighter bass, more than likely placebo. It is special tape that is so thin it doesn't affect sound but fixes whistling, its weird. Try finding like Pioneer-HDJ 2000, I feel it would work perfectly here.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,259 of 2,828
Snagged a pair of these when the price dropped on Amazon, because I wanted an on-ear can with maximum portability that I wouldn't have to worry about in terms of durability.  My ESW9 wasn't cutting it as a worry-free portable.  I had previously been kind of keeping an eye on the used market for dt1350's, but the price drop sealed the deal for me on these, and I think they'll do nicely.  With the talk of variance between sets of those, and now driver mismatching within sets, I think I made a good call and saved a lot of money that I really shouldn't have been spending.  The bass is a little heavy on them for my taste, but other than that they sound really good for what they are, and should fill my needs nicely.  Well done, the whole package was just really classy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back