V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 8, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #751 of 2,828

Quote:
Great now i have a feeling they dropped the box off and someone stole it.

I doubt it, when I got mine it was in a big bubble wrap envelope. It looked very unassuming and I doubt anyone would give it a second look. The desktop box wasn't unassuming because it had Acer Aspire Desktop Solutions in big honking letters on the side of it waving at everyone that walked by. I'm just saying some people are bad for not using common sense. For all you know your package could be sitting in front of the nose of the guy on the phone you talked to and he wouldn't know it because he just can't be bothered to look. I'm sure it'll eventually turn up you just gotta have some faith young dude.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #752 of 2,828

Quote:
Great now i have a feeling they dropped the box off and someone stole it.

How was it shipped? I ordered a watch from Amazon and they used FedEx SmartPost, which uses FedEx up to the last leg, where they put the package in the hands of the USPS for final delivery. When it all works.

On the 17th of last month, FedEx delivered a shipping container of parcels to the local post office. The paperwork claimed 1200+ items. The container actually held less than 300. Over the next couple of weeks FedEx would drop off more of that original 1200 piece shipment bit by bit. All the while claiming all the items were delivered to the post office on the 17th.

Long story short, Amazon and FedEx considered my item "lost" after 2 weeks, and refunded the purchase. Yesterday the package turned up and was finally delivered... three weeks late.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #753 of 2,828
Well i give up.

Anyone want wintersun logo faceplates?

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #755 of 2,828

Quote:
You've not tried to reach out Val & U want to give up already? If you have, give him some time to get back to you.

It's only $250 anyways. It's not the end of the world if i don't receive them. Though i am a little disappointed with the refusal from everyone to give me any information. I have tried messaging them on their website with no response. Just sent a message on head-fi. Hope i can get some help.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #756 of 2,828

Quote:
Is the isolation as good or better as the Solo HD Beats, cause if it is then I'm fine.

The isOlation is worse than solo beats. You can always use some black blutak to mod the faceplates closed for better isolation. This will change the soundstage and signature though so be prepared for a less airy sound.
For you man I'd honestly just go for something more suited for DJing

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #757 of 2,828

Quote:
Whoa where do I start? OK with bands along the lines of Decapitated and Origin you're going to need an aggressive sound signature which can do crazy guitar and give you some decent percussion impact on the drums. The M-80 will do the percussion side of things better then the HD25 but won't fit the bill anywhere else, it's not as aggressive as the HD25 and it's high's are smoothed out and is quite polite for extreme metal. For it's sound signature (bass centric) it's rather quick but it still can't keep up to a good rocker can which is quicker. I will say all things considered the M-80 can do metalcore quite well. The HD25 is the more aggressive sounding can and is known for being good as an all arounder. The M-80 will do trance far better but the HD25 will probably give you enough bass to keep you happy. I personally own both cans and ideally if you're willing to wait and raise the funds I'd recommend get them both and have the best of both worlds. If money and time is an issue then I would say get the HD25 and it'll do the job very well for your death metal and well enough for your trance.

That's exactly the response I was looking for :D

I'll order the HD25 once I sell my FX700. Hopefully I love the HD25 as much as I love the FX700 hehe. 

Thanks a lot Digital! 

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #758 of 2,828
Ok now there's this guy this guy on eBay selling the m-80 starting bidding at usd99, at least twice already. He said the last one he's sellin was "a gift". I'm not sure how many identical "gifts" he has in stock but do you guys think it's legit or OEM?

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #759 of 2,828

Quote:

The isOlation is worse than solo beats. You can always use some black blutak to mod the faceplates closed for better isolation. This will change the soundstage and signature though so be prepared for a less airy sound.
For you man I'd honestly just go for something more suited for DJing

For DJ use... LP2 is best... for daily/editing/producing/critical listening use M-80/V-80 is best.  Different weapons for the ENVIRONMENT.  The loud sound of clubs + monitors requires a very diff sound...  LP2/LP sound curves to sound "reference" when using LIVE.  If you listen to a DJ headphone at a live gig/performance, you'll hear its a LOT different than at home/office bc of the monitors (genelux i think in this video). 

see below. PS I'm djing Haze in Las Vegas this Friday if anybody is in town for CES!  And we have a prive penthouse to see new prods - stop by!

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #760 of 2,828

Quote:
For DJ use... LP2 is best... for daily/editing/producing/critical listening use M-80/V-80 is best.  Different weapons for the ENVIRONMENT.  The loud sound of clubs + monitors requires a very diff sound...  LP2/LP sound curves to sound "reference" when using LIVE.  If you listen to a DJ headphone at a live gig/performance, you'll hear its a LOT different than at home/office bc of the monitors

I grabbed the LPs because my eyeballs got big at the price when Amazon put them on sale. Didn't take long to see that they were precisely the wrong tool for the task. Not bad, just wrong. They aren't appropriate for an empty hotel lobby at 4am. The V-80s, OTOH... Wow. Just wow. Quickly became my favorite headphones in my collection. Until the V-100s arrive, I'm guessing. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #761 of 2,828

Quote:
For DJ use... LP2 is best... for daily/editing/producing/critical listening use M-80/V-80 is best.  Different weapons for the ENVIRONMENT.  The loud sound of clubs + monitors requires a very diff sound...  LP2/LP sound curves to sound "reference" when using LIVE.  If you listen to a DJ headphone at a live gig/performance, you'll hear its a LOT different than at home/office bc of the monitors (genelux i think in this video). 

see below. PS I'm djing Haze in Las Vegas this Friday if anybody is in town for CES!  And we have a prive penthouse to see new prods - stop by!

You have yet to reply to any of my messages. Please help me here.

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #762 of 2,828
Yo Bcasey, I'm in the same boat as you. According to my tracking, my parcel has been processed on the Dec 21 but has yet to arrive. I live in Australia though, but this is still too long for a parcel to come in. Chances are that we got dogged (someone picking up the parcel, happened to me once during xmas) or there has been delays. Only thing we can do is wait and believe i guess...

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #763 of 2,828
So here's my first mini-review. Kinda late, but I like these so much that I had to write a review for them xD

Intro
One of the reasons I bought the V-MODA M80 is because I wanted a portable headphone that has good SQ and yet has the ability to turn heads. I also wanted my portables to have very good build quality and decent isolation because I will be using them during travel. Another factor for my ideal portable cans was…well, portability!  I wouldn’t want a huge heavy set of headphones on my head during travel, especially during the summer. Now, I have been trying to stay away from on-ears because the last one I tried (TMA-1) hurt my ears. After reading other reviews of the relatively weak clamp force and good comfort of the M80s, I decided to give on-ears another shot, since over-ears would tend to get sweaty and hot during the summer, and IEMs tend to hurt my ear canals after long use.

Build/Design
The M80s look very stunning, and I’ve already had people I don’t know ask me what company they are. I like the mostly black and some red look on the M80s, and the shiny cups give it a nice touch. Build quality is top notch, as they are “light but heavy”, which basically means that they are light enough to not bother me when putting them on but I can trust that these can withstand some beating because it has a “good weight”. V-MODA also gives you an exoskeleton case for your M80s if you don’t feel comfortable just throwing them in your bag.
Another great add-on to these cans is the ability to customize them with your own art. You can send in a black and white picture at 300dpi and they will engrave the picture onto the custom shields. The picture I sent in was around 2000x2000 pixels at 300dpi, so I’m pretty sure as long as it meets the qualifications, you should be all set.
Note on custom shields: If you email V-MODA and ask them to engrave a different image on each shield, they WILL do it for you at no extra cost. My shields have a different image on them, and they both look perfect.

Isolation
Isolation was one of the factors that made me hesitant about the M80s. I read that since it is a semi-open design, isolation was not on par with other portables in the same price range, such as the HD25, DT1350, and the T50p. After getting my M80s and using them outside for a couple of days, I would say that I had no need to worry. I’m not going to say that they completely shut out outside noise (because they don’t), but they do isolate enough so you can focus on your music. When my music is off, I can easily have a conversation with someone, but when my music is on, most outside noise is unnoticeable.  I actually think that they let in the right amount of outside noise for you to be aware of your surroundings. After all, I don’t want to be run over a car or something because I couldn’t hear them beeping.
One thing I have noticed though is that these do not isolate against wind very well. A light breeze won’t be too bothering, but I think anything above that will be noticeable. Not too much of a problem, but just thought I would mention it.

Comfort
Ah, another factor that had me worried. Ever since I tried the TMA-1, I have stayed away from on-ears because they pushed my glasses (which I wear all the time) into my head and were quite painful. I assumed all on-ears would do this, but I took a chance and made the right decision. The clamp force on these a relatively weak (compared to my M50s) and the pads are nice and soft. At first they did hurt a little on the outer edge of my ear, but once I found the right setting for myself (10 adjustments each side), I would say these are very comfortable and I can probably have them on for 2~3 hours without any problem. The headband has microfiber padding which is more than enough to let these very light headphones rest on your head without pain. As I mentioned earlier, the clamp force on these are weak, so I wouldn’t recommend them for people who would run/do exercise with them. It may just be that my head is small, but I have noticed that these move around if I shake my head a bit.

Accessories
I got my M80s during the limited time offer, and it came with a pro-audio cable (kevlar cable without buttons), V-MODA faders (concert earplugs), and ¼” adapter. In addition to this, my M80s came with the normal accessories it comes with, which is a very durable exoskeleton case, a 1 button microphone kevlar cable, and a 3 button microphone kevlar cable. I am EXTREMELY pleased with all the accessories they give, and believe that all of these accessories at this value is unbeatable. I am especially pleased with the exoskeleton case because I can store the extra cables and adapter in there while protecting my M80s from any possible damage.
Someone did mention this in another review, but I will also mention it because I feel it is important. The kevlar cables are great as they reduce microphonics and increase durability, but sometimes they get twisted and create a little knot. If you do not undue this knot, the cable will be slightly stuck in that direction, and it may be a nuisance.

Sound
So, still being a somewhat noob at describing sound, I’ll try my best to portray what I hear through these headphones.
I use my M80s as my portable set, so I run them through my Cowon J3 with no amp/DAC. I can’t say what they would sound like through an amp, but I can say that these run fine without one. My J3 is more than enough to power these, and they sound great even with only minor tweaking of the EQ.
I don’t own the original Crossfade LPs, but I have heard them at a store and remember that they were bass heavy. I was expecting the same with the M80s (not as heavy as the LP though), but noticed that that wasn’t the case at all. The bass is certainly there, but I wouldn’t say that they are overpowering. I really like how the M80s present the lower frequencies, as they tame them very well and are more of a “quick punch” compared to my ATH-M50s.  The mids are definitely the focal point of the M80s, as I noticed vocals and guitar to be forward compared to the M50s. They are very smooth and rich, and are spot on to what I was looking for. The higher frequencies is where the M80s sort of lose their shine because I feel that there is less control in that region, and there’s not much “sparkle”. However, this was expected through reading the other M80s reviews, so I wasn’t really disappointed/surprised.
I have different EQ setting on my J3 for each IEM/headphone I own, but the M80s have the least tweaking out of all of them. There’s really not much to change except the treble region and some of the lower mids.  

Conclusion
So, did I make the right decision to go with the M80s? I’d say I’m VERY pleased with my purchase! The M80s are definitely going to be my main portable set, as I love how they sound AND how they look. They are comfortable to have on for several hours, and offer decent isolation. These are almost spot on to what I was looking for in my ideal headphone, and I can trust them to last me a very long time. Even if I somehow break them, V-MODA’s 2 year warranty would cover me, and after that, their Immortal Life Program would make my next purchase 50% off. V-MODA’s customer service was great, and I can trust them to answer any future question I have. I can safely say that I’m going to be set for quite a while on my portable rig^^

[size=11.0pt]Here are some pictures just so you can get an idea of how small these really are. Sorry for the mediocre quality pics >_<[/size]

What came outside of the M80 box. The little pouch is part of the custom shield set, and the shields come with extra screws and a special wrench.

M80s and the exoskeleton case.

M80s and ATH-M50s

Rough dimensions of the earcup

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #764 of 2,828
I just got my M-80s, and now I really feel the difference against my IEMs (Hifiman Re-zeros). Much bigger soundstage.

However, I have one gripe about them. I use the one button + mic with my android. First off, the button does not work with my android (I use PowerAmp with headset button priority). Secondly, the sound get unbearably loud and distorted when I hold onto the button. Anyone has any idea why?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #765 of 2,828
I just received mine today and I've been listening to them on and off, and as much as I want to love them I simply can't. The bass isn't there. 

I want the bass to be present when it should be. I don't want it to overwhelm, but if it's there I want to feel it and it just doesn't happen for the most part. This is the case with different genres I've tried, and it's even more noticeable with hip hop. The kicks and baselines get lost, there's no impact (for the most part). I've tried different files and it's the same case. 

LL Cool J's 'Boomin System' doesn't have the impact it usually does. I can hear the bass, but I can't 'feel it'. 

Radiohead's 'Feral' has the same issue (but at a lower degree). Feral ends with a sub bass that keeps rising to an ear rattling finale. While I do get some impact, it doesn't compare to the impact I have with other headphones.

Pink Floyd's 'Welcome to the Machine' never fails to imprint its low ends. The pulsating wave in the beginning of the song gives my ears a massage due to its power. But with these I feel nothing. In fact, it sounds rather tame and weak. 

Having said that....

I'm a producer and it irks me when I listen to some of my work with other headphones and speakers, because there are plenty of elements that are usually left out. But I can hear everything crisp and clear with these just like I did when I made the track. Oddly enough, I can also hear/feel the impact on the lows as well, something that's lacking with other songs.

I'm not sure if these cans need some burn in time for the lows to truly kick in or not. Because there's times when they're there, and then at times they're not as present. 

I'll give them a 7 for now. I'll see how they fare when I burn them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back