V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Oct 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2,026 of 2,828
Quote:
I'm pretty sure my e10 is more than capable than the best android device there is. (not that I am belittling the owners) 

Sigh, looks like I need to purchase another set of cans just to maximize the asgard.  But the m80 is personally the best portable for me.  It's literally the whole package, efficiency, SQ, Durability, design and warranty. 

Thanks Val for creating such a masterpiece.

Except if you're me and you use an external DAC/Amp with a cleaner and more robust amp section and you output digitally fufufufu :)

Kojaku

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #2,027 of 2,828
I got a pair of these recently from Amazon ($158 price was too good to resist), and I can say that they're now my favorite closed-back portable. Full and forward mids, deep bass which is surprising given their small size plus extended highs without becoming offensive - even with the poorly produced kvlt black metal that I listen to. 

Not missing my departed DT1350 one bit! Every other V-MODA product I've tried before has disappointed me sound-wise but not this one. It's definitely a great step into a more audiophile direction plus the build quality and accessories are second to none. The exoskeleton hard case, awesomeness.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,029 of 2,828
No so much a review but a little story that just happened a few hours ago. I was at my local Starbucks after Val had left Tokyo - went there with a pair of M-80's and M-100s'. He tried the M-80s for about 10-15 mins and at the end asked, "Can I buy these now?". Those weren't my M-80s. So I told him a local store approx 10 km away.

Within the hour, he had cycled back 'n forth and came back with a new pair of M-80's :wink:. I was surprised that he was so straight forward and decisive - no mucking around. Well he had a valid reason 'cos he was DJ-ing the next day and his not so old pair of headphones broke.

I didn't realise I was that persuasive :wink:!!

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #2,030 of 2,828
Quote:
No so much a review but a little story that just happened a few hours ago. I was at my local Starbucks after Val had left Tokyo - went there with a pair of M-80's and M-100s'. He tried the M-80s for about 10-15 mins and at the end asked, "Can I buy these now?". Those weren't my M-80s. So I told him a local store approx 10 km away.

Within the hour, he had cycled back 'n forth and came back with a new pair of M-80's :wink:. I was surprised that he was so straight forward and decisive - no mucking around. Well he had a valid reason 'cos he was DJ-ing the next day and his not so old pair of headphones broke.

He didn't even want to try the M100's? :X

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #2,031 of 2,828
Quote:
He didn't even want to try the M100's? :X

He did. Strangely he felt the M-80s had more bass (not to my ears!!). But I don't know what he was listening to. Goes to show, different ppl do have different hearing and different tastes.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #2,033 of 2,828

Quote:
As above, to my ears, they are efficient enough that little is gained from external amps (esp portable ones). Now that's with the misc iDevice I've owned. jmsilva22 may potentially have shed new light w.r.t. Android devices.

I agree.  I paired my M80s with a FIIO e17 and really had a tough time tell the difference between amped and not.  I tried both out of my 2012 MacBook Air and my iPod Touch and it was tough to tell, so I ultimately just sold the amp.  No need really.  :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,034 of 2,828
Quote:
I got a pair of these recently from Amazon ($158 price was too good to resist), and I can say that they're now my favorite closed-back portable. Full and forward mids, deep bass which is surprising given their small size plus extended highs without becoming offensive - even with the poorly produced kvlt black metal that I listen to. 

Not missing my departed DT1350 one bit! Every other V-MODA product I've tried before has disappointed me sound-wise but not this one. It's definitely a great step into a more audiophile direction plus the build quality and accessories are second to none. The exoskeleton hard case, awesomeness.

Aw, I am not that unique anymore here in Manla :p

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,035 of 2,828
Quote:

Did I miss a post somewhere?  Who is "he?"

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,036 of 2,828
Self repair on my M-80s from about 3 months ago finally broke again. Left arm won't click to adjust and just moves around, plastic mount inside is broken maybe and can be felt/seen pushing against the headband material. Not sending these to cali a 3rd time (first two were for sound cutting out) and I probably voided the warranty anyway when I took the arm apart.  I can still use them since the arm only slides about halfway out and doesn't move when i wear them. 

That big lump on the left side is a piece of plastic inside that is loose maybe initially broke in July(around then).

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,039 of 2,828
Quote:
I doubt it.

Yeah, considering how quickly Val rotates through new releases, it's probably more likely he'd release an all new M80, the M90 or something, with a driver overhaul, but back up at the $230 price mark before we see a mod to the M80 as we know it. Then as usual, we'd have to wait for it to progressively drop to an affordable price over a month or so before the M900 comes out 1.5 months after the M90 or whatever.

Kojaku

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #2,040 of 2,828
I'm actually about to buy the M-80, after having heard them a few times, but if next year Val came out with a collapsible M-90 (or w/e they'd call it) I'd totally sell my M-80 and upgrade, even if the new ones are $230-$250. That is literally the only way I'd wish to improve on the M-80.

To make them flat folding would probably take away from the rock solid build quality (not like the cups are very wide anyway, barely wider than the headband), but if the collapsing mechanism on the M-100 is strong and can be replicated at a smaller size that'd be truly awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back