V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Sep 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #2,011 of 2,828
Quote:
I love the industrial-looking Shadow, but I got the White Pearls on top of that just because they look so damn classy and luxurious. Pictures don't do them justice. And I am usually more of a black headphone kind of person.

Agreed, white M-80's matte silver finish et al is so classy that it transcends the normal "plastic white headphone".

My goal was to build a "bridge" between fashionistas and audiophiles!

-v

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2,012 of 2,828
Quote:
Hey guys...anybody knows if v-moda will ever sell ear pad replacements for the M-80's? 

We will make more M-80 pads, I am sorry we are just so busy with M-100 and VAMP 4 iPhone V.

M-80's ear cushions clip in and out so easily, maybe somebody 3P can make VELOUR or VELVET.  But no Elvis patterns, please....

-v

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2,013 of 2,828
Val with your attention to every last detail + sound, you are changing the game in multiple ways. A lot of other HP companies, old and new, could learn a thing or two from you. It's why I've been highly anticipating the M-100 for so long. And yes, I have a feeling the M-100 will be the ultimate game-changer - with both audiophiles and fashionistas uniting.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #2,014 of 2,828
Well, I just received the M80s 3 days ago and since then have listened to them for probably about 15 hours (not including the two nights I slept with them on for music). Well, I'm starting to constantly feel pain on the outside of ears (at the back). This happen to anyone else? Anyone know if this will gradually go away? And I do realize I've had them on a lot, but wanted to see if anyone else can cast their opinion(s)/experience(s) on this. The sound quality is truly GREAT, though. I'm not going to pretend to be someone who knows a lot about headphones (this is my first pair of "good" headphones) but I saying that I'm satisfied is an understatement. I was dubious at first about buying them because I saw V-Moda as being a "flashy" company that's very popular but doesn't really make headphones worth the money (a good example of this is the Beats). But I ended up buying them because of all the reviews and I love them. Wanted to thank Val for putting all that effort into making the M80s a headphone that's really worth buying! The only "con" at this point is the ear pain, yet I haven't really seen anyone else complain about them being uncomfortable, so I'm sure I just need some more time.
Thanks,

Neutral

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,015 of 2,828
Quote:
Well, I just received the M80s 3 days ago and since then have listened to them for probably about 15 hours (not including the two nights I slept with them on for music). Well, I'm starting to constantly feel pain on the outside of ears (at the back). This happen to anyone else? Anyone know if this will gradually go away? And I do realize I've had them on a lot, but wanted to see if anyone else can cast their opinion(s)/experience(s) on this. The sound quality is truly GREAT, though. I'm not going to pretend to be someone who knows a lot about headphones (this is my first pair of "good" headphones) but I saying that I'm satisfied is an understatement. I was dubious at first about buying them because I saw V-Moda as being a "flashy" company that's very popular but doesn't really make headphones worth the money (a good example of this is the Beats). But I ended up buying them because of all the reviews and I love them. Wanted to thank Val for putting all that effort into making the M80s a headphone that's really worth buying! The only "con" at this point is the ear pain, yet I haven't really seen anyone else complain about them being uncomfortable, so I'm sure I just need some more time.
Thanks,

Neutral

I had the same pain, lasted about a week or so. It gets better, way better. I wear them all day at work now. Let them break in the con will go away.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2,017 of 2,828
It was the case on mine that I wasn't wearing them on my head at the right angle either.  I had the head band on my head such that the band touched just in front of the highest point on my head, as I normally wear cans.  The M-80 headband seems to want to sit more forward on my head vs. most other cans I've used in the past.  With the hexagonal shape of the pad and the lobe shape of the ear, it makes sense that it would fit that way.  Once I found that, all my ear pain went away.  Though I will say, sometime in the 4-6 hour mark of listening to them, I do get pain on the top of my head where the band makes contact.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,018 of 2,828
Quote:

We will make more M-80 pads, I am sorry we are just so busy with M-100 and VAMP 4 iPhone V.

M-80's ear cushions clip in and out so easily, maybe somebody 3P can make VELOUR or VELVET.  But no Elvis patterns, please....

-v

Velour / Velvet pads for the m-80 would be awesome. But whatever material...just make them please! 
L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,019 of 2,828
I'm currently using this along with a Fiio E10 and Schiit Asgard, I am not hearing a lot of difference compared to using the e10 alone.  Is the M80 not that amp friendly or it's just efficient already?

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #2,020 of 2,828
Using them with my budget android phone as a source the E6 was mandatory. The only way to get decent sound out of them.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,021 of 2,828
Quote:

I'm currently using this along with a Fiio E10 and Schiit Asgard, I am not hearing a lot of difference compared to using the e10 alone.  Is the M80 not that amp friendly or it's just efficient already?

Originally Posted by jmsilva22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Using them with my budget android phone as a source the E6 was mandatory. The only way to get decent sound out of them.

I find that surprising. Admittedly I'm using the iPhone/iPad and I found the M-80 to be efficient that it benefits little from an external DAC/Amp. That's not to say that there is 0 improvement, of course there is however to my ears it's minor that one could easily get away without an external DAC/Amp - of course, to reiterate again, this is off iDevices.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,023 of 2,828
Quote:
So you're saying that m80 is just so efficient that the I have reached a point of diminishing returns?

As above, to my ears, they are efficient enough that little is gained from external amps (esp portable ones). Now that's with the misc iDevice I've owned. jmsilva22 may potentially have shed new light w.r.t. Android devices.

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,024 of 2,828
Quote:

As above, to my ears, they are efficient enough that little is gained from external amps (esp portable ones). Now that's with the misc iDevice I've owned. jmsilva22 may potentially have shed new light w.r.t. Android devices.

I'm willing to bet the m-80 will perform way better without amplification in newer Android devices. My phone is a basic Samsung Admire from metropcs.

I must assume its not fair to compare the sound and amplification capabilities of my phone with current more advanced models like Galaxy II-III, Nexus, HTC One X, etc. It HAS to be a difference. If not then something is wrong.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,025 of 2,828
I'm pretty sure my e10 is more than capable than the best android device there is. (not that I am belittling the owners) 

Sigh, looks like I need to purchase another set of cans just to maximize the asgard.  But the m80 is personally the best portable for me.  It's literally the whole package, efficiency, SQ, Durability, design and warranty. 

Thanks Val for creating such a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back