V-Moda Crossfade LP
Nov 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #47 of 129

Quote:
it seems they really push around the 250hz mark. I do live the build and efficiency so I will be keeping these for my weekly gigs...
More in depth review soon...

Royal - wear the pads in, it'll change the 200-250Hz significantly after you wear them/sweat in them >24 hrs.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #48 of 129
Just picked up a pair on the Newegg deal and am looking forward to hearing them. I first got interested when I noticed that the only headphones that rate higher in customer reviews on Amazon are the M50 and V6/7506. That's good company for affordable headphones.  I can't let a headphone with that kind of popular appeal go unheard. Plus the owner/designer posts on Head-Fi.
smile.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #49 of 129
Have been listening to the LPs for a couple of days now and decided to take a look at Tyll's new graphs only to run across an odd coincidence:

1. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaCrossfadeLP.pdf
  2. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhiatonPS500.pdf

Either the Phiaton PS500s and the Crossfade LPs were both tuned to the same reference or there's some shared engineering here. They're not identical, mind you, and the sound profile has its appeal, so don't take this as casting any aspersions.

Anyway, on to a couple of notes on the sound. The LPs have a surprising soundstage, though some sense of space is obscured by the dip in the high mids/treble. And then there's the bass, which lags a bit behind an enjoyable full-bodied beat-heavy presentation and causes listening fatigue at anything beyond low listening levels. Thankfully these problems are mitigated by judicious EQ; taking a queue from the graphs I tried up at 5-7 khz (& 14 & up), and down below 300hz. There's still some bloom, however the vocal presence is much improved, lending to a more balanced sound.

Spent the night chillin' out to some KLF after a few drinks/supplements and the 'phones did their job.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #50 of 129
Interesting frequency graphs. I just got mine so am not really prepared to say much of substance, other than that the build is superb -- they are extremely attractive and solid -- and the bass not surprisingly makes me feel like I'm clubbing (I've only listened to hip hop and dance on them so far). It's got that energizing, rumbling quality to it. No matter what, I feel like I stole these for the price Newegg was selling them for, and I can immediately see why they have so many fans.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #51 of 129

Quote:
You picked up the sony's or the vmodas?

V-Moda LP

Quote:
Royal - wear the pads in, it'll change the 200-250Hz significantly after you wear them/sweat in them >24 hrs.

Yeah, that's why I figured to add the review later :)

So, Here's what I'll say:
Pros:
  1. Build Quality and Materials are excellent and for the price makes it that much more amazing.
  2. Interchangeability for style is a nice touch
  3. Comfort is good as its soft and cushy in the right spots
  4. Warranty
  5. Tools included for shields
  6. Packaging, Case and included items are A+

Cons:
  1. Ear pads swivel but do not rotate 180° (This is a big 1 for me)
  2. Wires above the ears get snagged so you have to be careful
  3. Included 1- button remote DOES NOT function properly on my android (Fascinate)
  4. High amount of Sound Leakage for a closed set

These aren't necessarily cons so,
Other things of note:
It all depends on the ones you get as to what the color coordination is. Mine are called the "Stealth" and I absolutely love the color of them. All matte black. I do not like the "bling" in some of the glossy finishes so this was a huge plus for me.
Also, they come with an extra pair of shields which is nice but they are RED and I do not like red @ all!
Add to that, while the button remote cable is all black, (YAY!!).... the other cord is Red & Black, (Boooo!) and the fact that it's the 1 button and NOT the 3 button was a small let down.
Hey, Maybe they should have a trade in program! 
wink_face.gif
  Also, My packaging didn't have that VIP card included.

Now the important part,
The Sound:
When I originally plugged these in I wasn't blown away buy them but was very impressed by the sensitivity. They have Incredible response and impedance. The sets lack coloring and for some a flatter response is a bad thing but for me it's a VERY good thing especially since many headphones can't handle when you push certain freq. but these handled everything I threw @ them. No matter what.
So IOW, You can get these to sound EXACTLY how YOU want them to and not worry about them being too "colored".

While sound quality is subjective and relative I have to say I have grown to like these for my primary gig cans. I have also tested them in my studio and was quite impressed at what they delivered and will now be using them on a trial basis as my studio sets.

The one thing I think can be improved on is the Soundstaging and Separation. I am not impressed by them at all when I tested them on both analog and digital recordingsof various styles of music. I will definitely be using other cans for certain types of recordings and projects.

Other than that, I have no problems w/ recommending these for Dj'ing or all forms of Electronic Music.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #52 of 129
I was wondering if the crossfade that Costco is selling in the white box are the same as the ones that apple sells for $200? I don't think that they are the same, but I was wondering what is the difference between the ones that Costco is selling in the white box and the other ones in the black box, and if the ones in the white box are worth the money for $80? 

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #53 of 129

Quote:
I was wondering if the crossfade that Costco is selling in the white box are the same as the ones that apple sells for $200? I don't think that they are the same, but I was wondering what is the difference between the ones that Costco is selling in the white box and the other ones in the black box, and if the ones in the white box are worth the money for $80? 

I don't see why they would be different.

Also so these do leak a lot? If so I guess I will be getting at the M50 for sure.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #54 of 129
I had the crossfade for a few months now , all I have to say is the highs are somewhat recessed . Soundstage was wide and ofc an expected exaggerated low end . The hard diaphragrams do touch my ears sometimes , but after a week or so , you get used to it . Build quality is one of the best I ever used .

I do have a question though , is the crossfade an open or closed headphone ? Because I do notice that when the volume is above 60% , it does leaks . And this is due to 3 V shaped hole on the side of each cans which I think allows air to enter the 50mm diaphragrams .

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #55 of 129
For those interested, they are on sale, in all the different colors, at Amazon today for $79.95. CNET review said the sound was "clubby" but they are well made.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #58 of 129
I picked these up from the Amazon deal too.

I know a lot of people don't think the SQ is that great, but for a novice/intermediate person like myself, they sound really great. I really don't hear a deficiency in the highs and the lows definitely sound good to me.

The best part is the build quality, really nice case, and high quality cables.

As others have said though, the noise leaking is pretty bad. I considered sending them back soley because of this, but after thinking about it I know I will be hard pressed to find anything built nearly this well with such a nice case (probably impossible in the <$100 price range).

If anyone has any tips or mods that might reduce the leakage, please let me know.

I thought I read somewhere where someone recommended putting a small bit of sound deadening material behind the v shaped vents underneath the plates. Has anyone tried this? Might give it a shot if I can source some decent material to use.

Val, have you experienced the sound leakage on these headphones that people are reporting? Any suggestions/thoughts/etc.?

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #59 of 129
Sound leakage is if people can hear your music from the headphones right?

If so then you must have the volume pretty high. As far as I can tell no one can hear what music I'm listening to. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 129

Quote:
I picked these up from the Amazon deal too.

I know a lot of people don't think the SQ is that great, but for a novice/intermediate person like myself, they sound really great. I really don't hear a deficiency in the highs and the lows definitely sound good to me.

The best part is the build quality, really nice case, and high quality cables.

As others have said though, the noise leaking is pretty bad. I considered sending them back soley because of this, but after thinking about it I know I will be hard pressed to find anything built nearly this well with such a nice case (probably impossible in the <$100 price range).

If anyone has any tips or mods that might reduce the leakage, please let me know.

I thought I read somewhere where someone recommended putting a small bit of sound deadening material behind the v shaped vents underneath the plates. Has anyone tried this? Might give it a shot if I can source some decent material to use.

Val, have you experienced the sound leakage on these headphones that people are reporting? Any suggestions/thoughts/etc.?

are you sure?  they don't leak much when on your ears, try it on a friend!

-v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back