V-Moda Crossfade LP
Jul 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #121 of 129
I recently purchased a set of these, I'm a sucker for a sale...

After reading many reviews I thought I succumb to the sound signature and after playing with the M80s, I was happy they would be well built. I had been looking at the M100's, but couldn't justify the price premium.

They arrived and I liked what I saw, not so much what I heard. I'm partial to a good dose of bass, but what came was messy. I am partial to burn in (both of the ears and the drivers) and gave them a few overnight sessions with some light listening in between.

They changed, the bass tightened and allowed the rest of the spectrum to come forward a little more. At this point some songs sounded decent, but most music was flat and lacking. Metal and some genre's I wasn't expecting were coming out well at this point. I am not one to give up on a set of cans that don't sound good, I'm happy to see if modding can make some improvements. It was around 2 weeks after my initial listing I started reading about the XL pads and some reviews with promising results. I decided this would be a good place to start and 2 days ago I was prying the original pads from the cup frames. At this point I was reminded how solid the design of the V-Moda's is, the pads are secured from a stiff card mounted to the pads, changing pads is more of a mechanical manouvre than an erercise in stretching elastic and pleater.

I was hopefull these would bring it all together, having played with porting of the cans briefly I knew I could block some venting to flatten out the freqencies, but that would be somewhat hit and miss, I got lucky... The new pads are one of the few times I am going to say, this is how it should have come from the factory. The XL pads have given the space between the drivers and ear to allow a much flatter spectrum, the bass to be tighter and punchier and still allow the bass heavy (and fun, not flat) sound through.

LP's with XL pads and 50+ hours of burn in are a nice set of cans (At the right price, for casual, bass heavy listening). Sources do make a difference, whist they are sensitive, they definitely benefit from a strong (and not necessarily refined) amping for a V shaped fun sound sig.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #122 of 129
Just now got these through a deal and I am loving these. I am strong believer of burn in and have experienced in all my headphones. Expecting good change. Bought these for just gym use. Yes they are not balanced but they are fun :D. They sound dark and I am a sucker for dark sound as having hd 650 and Sony MDR Z7. I am used to the dark sound and these are really detailed. Impressed :)

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #124 of 129
WPOSHP's I ever owned, nuff said.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #125 of 129
Certainly not my first choice for most kinds of music and I think they are a bit expensive at their full asking price, but I think they are great for certain things like electronic music, movies... anything where a plump bottom end isn't a distraction.

DSC_5637a1usm_zps7bahoxqo.jpg

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #126 of 129
My brother is having comfort issues with his LP2s. The tips of his ears are pinched. Thinking about buying these replacement ear pads, but it looks like all they do is make the drivers farther from your head. The top and bottom on the openings are the same distance from each other, so I imagine that even the new pads will pinch his ears?

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #127 of 129
My brother is having comfort issues with his LP2s. The tips of his ears are pinched. Thinking about buying these replacement ear pads, but it looks like all they do is make the drivers farther from your head. The top and bottom on the openings are the same distance from each other, so I imagine that even the new pads will pinch his ears?

Yeah it will still pinch but its more comfy so it will be noticeably better. Better is good. It will seem like relief after living with stock ones. If you want pinch free I think hm5 fit but over the whole cup aka can't wear them outside unless he's cool and doesn't give rats ... a $ $

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #128 of 129
Yeah it will still pinch but its more comfy so it will be noticeably better. Better is good. It will seem like relief after living with stock ones. If you want pinch free I think hm5 fit but over the whole cup aka can't wear them outside unless he's cool and doesn't give rats ... a $ $

Wouldn't using the HM5 cups with the V-Moda LP2 change the can's sound? Thanks though, I'll look into that.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #129 of 129

Wouldn't using the HM5 cups with the V-Moda LP2 change the can's sound? Thanks though, I'll look into that.

Yeah , it would probably change its sound characteristics. I didn't find the lp2 very friendly with pad changed. I tried a few different ones, but the XL did improve comfort, and made it sound more spacious. So its a win win.

The pain mostly comes not from it touching the lower ear lobe as much as it is ear touching that metal driver cover. The XL distance it just enough to reduce it , and if you can survive with stock pads, the XL is relief. Like Gold Bond relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back