V-Moda Crossfade LP
Nov 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 129
Guys, i am interest in buying a pair of this as a Christmas present for my brother. Any facts that you don't like about them?
The main reason i posted, is the opinion i read from this buyer in amazon, which complains about a defect and says that it also appeared on the apple store's samples. Anyone noticed something similar? its a sure deal breaker.

P.S i noticed this are made from ostrich leather. Is this a common leather like pig's? or they kill the birds only for luxury reasons. (another deal breaker)

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 129
we haven't had any issues with Crossfade LPs and we've road/DJ gig tested them for years to make them ultra durable.   They have removable cables, replacement warranty + lifetime 50% off guarantee if you ever break them running over with a car, etc too.

you can ask me any specifics I can give you the durability comparison (cable, drop test, bend test, etc).    we spent WAY too long of a time in engineering these guys :)

-v

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 129
I was planning on getting the Crossfades but then I also read those reviews. Because of that, a lot of people went out to their apple stores and looked for the same defect. Most of them did find the defect in the crossfades at the apple store...

Quote:
we haven't had any issues with Crossfade LPs and we've road/DJ gig tested them for years to make them ultra durable.   They have removable cables, replacement warranty + lifetime 50% off guarantee if you ever break them running over with a car, etc too.

you can ask me any specifics I can give you the durability comparison (cable, drop test, bend test, etc).    we spent WAY too long of a time in engineering these guys :)

-v

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 129
I've got a set of the crossfades and I have to say I agree with everything joker wrote in his fashion vs function review.  In short, the cans are readily available on ebay at 100 new, and that is a very reasonable price point for them.  At retail price of 200-250, you can do substantially better.

Assuming the 100 dollar price point, the crossfades put out powerful bass heavy sound that is comparable with the high end beats.  There honestly aren't many options in this range that can compete, the primary option being the AT M50's.  The M50's are a little lighter on bass, and way less attractive.  The durability on them is top notch, and the various auxiliary features are worth considering.  You get what I would argue is the nicest headphone case on the entire market, as well as removable cables (which is a huge plus in my opinion).  With fashion being a consideration, the crossfades are a steal at 100.  The AT M50's will offer a more balanced (and to most people's ears better for it) sound signature.  The crossfades bring skull shattering bass, with nice features and gorgeous cosmetics.

Assuming the MSRP price point of 250, you'd be hard pressed to find a headphone that performs worse.  Primary competitors here amount to the ms400, the denon d2000, various beyerdynamic offerings, grado 325's and similar, and the sennheiser 500 series.  

The ms400 is the most comparable, offering a similarly bass heavy sound signature, but much more articulated mids and highs.  They sport a comparable yet very different cyberpunk style, and really offer an upgrade in every metric i can imagine beyond the disconectable cable.

The D2000 is NOT a portable, but absolutely destroys the crossfade in sound quality.  Much more articulated bass, and excellent separation between the various sound ranges.

The Grado and sennheisers are very different in that they are open backed, and bring a much more open sound.  They are not really an appropriate comparison, as they fall into a different archetype.

The beyers I have no experience with.

TL;DR - go read jokers review.  He does a very good comparison that includes the v-modas.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #21 of 129
I think the MSRP of Crossfades is $199 these days, at least on Vmoda's site it's listed for that price. At launch it was $249.99 though. I'd be interested in picking one up out of curiousity knowing it has the sound signature I prefer but if only it was a bit cheaper, in europe we get screwed as usual, amazon.co.uk among the cheapest options at ~£115 / 135 EUR / $185, I don't think it's quite worth that price from a SQ perspective based on what I've read about them.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #22 of 129
Amazon has them around $160. I just think that the crossfades are my best bet considering I thought the M50 bass was lacking.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #23 of 129

Quote:
Amazon has them around $160. I just think that the crossfades are my best bet considering I thought the M50 bass was lacking.

Well Sony XB500 / 700 had been perfect if you could accept the design/look and could sound a bit better while still having just as much bass (XB500 possibly slightly more than Crossfades even) and you wouldn't get ripped off with money. :p XB500 isn't really THAT huge or awkward looking, for reference here's one youtube vid of it when worn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKp54G00UX0 and while we're at it, check out how much this headphone driver is moving with bass when pushed in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqsn8Qme_s

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #24 of 129
Actually picked up a pair for a friend for $70 off eBay, which to me, isn't a bad deal at all. I'll give some impressions when they land into my hands.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 129

Quote:
Actually picked up a pair for a friend for $70 off eBay, which to me, isn't a bad deal at all. I'll give some impressions when they land into my hands.

For $70 it's a great deal probably, can you grab one for me too? ^^ Problem is that I live in europe so shipping isn't as cheap. ^^ While I have my doubts about beating Sony XB in sound quality the design and durability (these are built like tanks) and built in mic in the cord would be worth the price in my eyes.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 129
Amazon dipped them to $130 for a bit today so I went ahead and bought them. They have a great return policy so that makes me feel good if they aren't as good as expected. Can anyone compare these to the HFI-580? I heard the 580's have more bass but I wasn't sure...

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 129
Crossfade should have more bass than HFI-580, it's probably the closest or possibly somewhat comparable to Sony XB500 which is the headphone with most bass quantity (ofc any crazy modding excluded). To achieve the bass quantity we're talking about in V-Moda Crossfade or Sony XB series, having bass ports/vents is a requirement that really make a world of a difference to bass quantity. Some of the Beyer DT770 600 ohm also seem to have that and it's far more bassier than the versions without it. Those are the only ones I know of that has such design, closed but small ports at the back of the cups to let them breathe and that's a good promise for starters of getting a huge bass quantity, I doubt you can achieve it by a fully closed design. I tested covering the holes on XB500 and XB700 and the bass was almost gone and sounded a lot worse (the airy soundstage was gone).

I wish there were more headphones with bassports as it seems to have a positive spin on both bass quantity and soundquality (increase in soundstage size compared to fully closed?). Any1 attempted to mod bassheavy fully closed headphones such as HFI-580 or DT770 Pro/80 or something by drilling some holes into the cups just for experimental purposes? :p

EDIT: Thunderpants modded by smeggy also features bassports and also would have a lot of bass but this one would cost like $500+.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #29 of 129
Thanks, I didn't think that was really possible. You seem pretty big on your sony xb series though and it's kinda making me want to try them. As you've probably realized, I don't like the look of them that much, but as a pair for home use, I might have to try them. The new XB-1000 just look like a basshead's dream. 70mm drivers. Some websites saying about $120. Those might just have to be my next pair for dedicated home usage.

Quote:
Crossfade should have more bass than HFI-580, it's probably the closest or possibly somewhat comparable to Sony XB500 which is the headphone with most bass quantity (ofc any crazy modding excluded). To achieve the bass quantity we're talking about in V-Moda Crossfade or Sony XB series, having bass ports/vents is a requirement that really make a world of a difference to bass quantity. Some of the Beyer DT770 600 ohm also seem to have that and it's far more bassier than the versions without it. Those are the only ones I know of that has such design, closed but small ports at the back of the cups to let them breathe and that's a good promise for starters of getting a huge bass quantity, I doubt you can achieve it by a fully closed design. I tested covering the holes on XB500 and XB700 and the bass was almost gone and sounded a lot worse.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 129

I know! I was very surprised. I ordered some white ones earlier today and now that color is back up to $160. Sorry if you wanted white...
tongue.gif

Quote:
Only 130 on amazon right now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back