V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Oct 14, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #1,591 of 1,668
As said before, my post wasn't about implementation plausibility.

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,592 of 1,668
And as I said before, V-Moda hasn't done anything to make the wire/wireless sound identical, what they're letting you know is that that bluetooth mode hasn't been digitally altered.

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,593 of 1,668
You're more than welcome to have the last word buddy. If it makes you tick I'm more than happy for you.

But it's time to move on.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #1,594 of 1,668
Finally got a chance to try the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex since the Microsoft Store had a demo, and I’ve got to say they retain all of the best qualities of the M-100 but without a wire. It sounded very reminiscent of the M-100 sound I remembered with more bass than I expected, maybe even a better balanced bass with more sub-bass. Better than the Studio3.

The new pads are also way better than the old stock pads and even the XL pads. Nice secure fit. Would consider buying a pair for the gym.

It has a nice bass thump but the sound overall is relatively dark. I don’t mind that since it allows for louder listening without fatigue. Wasn’t expecting to be disappointed by the sound and enjoyed it. I have an overabundance of headphones but V-MODA is still on my radar.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,595 of 1,668
That was my experience too. I loved my M100s but the original Crossfade Wireless were crazy boomy.

Not sure I'd ever work out in them, though, but that's my own bias against over-ears for the gym. If only there was a perfect wireless set with their exact sound sig...

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,596 of 1,668
I have certainly concluded, to my ears, if you have Android CF2W Rose Gold, unless you want a different color there really is no need to get the CODEX. Wired to me both versions sound the same. Obviously, if you are an Apple person there is much more reason to get the the CODEX version with the addition of AAC. It will be difficult to write a full review again so I may create an addendum to my initial review with new photos and a quick blurb.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #1,597 of 1,668
I have certainly concluded, to my ears, if you have Android CF2W Rose Gold, unless you want a different color there really is no need to get the CODEX. Wired to me both versions sound the same. Obviously, if you are an Apple person there is much more reason to get the the CODEX version with the addition of AAC. It will be difficult to write a full review again so I may create an addendum to my initial review with new photos and a quick blurb.

Yeah I can't imagine there'd be much difference. They say the drivers are updated but even that would be pretty minor.

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,599 of 1,668
Theoretically, lossy compression (mp3) ---> lossy compression (bluetooth) will result in lower quality than lossless compression (flac) ---> lossy compression (bluetooth), no? Reiterations of lossy compression will substantially degrade the quality of the original.

Theoretically but considering 320kbps is already transparency levels the re-compression issues are pretty much nonexistent. I feel like people quibble far too hard over fairly minor issues.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #1,600 of 1,668
I feel like people quibble far too hard over fairly minor issues.

Well, everyone's ears are different. What might be considered minor issues for some may not be as minor for others. This goes well beyond the ubiquitous argument about whether one can discern a difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless audio, because now we're talking about a recompressed MP3 which is absolutely going to introduce significantly more compression artifacts when compared to the original MP3.

Personally, I'm OK with one round of high-quality, lossy compression for the convenience of using my headphones wirelessly, but I'd strongly prefer not to subject my music to an additional round of lossy compression on top of that. Same goes with JPGs: I'll never open a JPG and recompress it, but I do understand that other people might think of that as quibbling over minor issues.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,601 of 1,668
Your use of the word "significantly" is dubious. At best.

If you open a JPG, copy the file into a new workspace, then save that as a PNG, you've recompressed but I will put money down that if it was saved at highest quality in both instances you will notice 0% difference.

But hey. Whatever makes people happy is what's important.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,602 of 1,668
If you open a JPG, copy the file into a new workspace, then save that as a PNG, you've recompressed but I will put money down that if it was saved at highest quality in both instances you will notice 0% difference.

Yes, because PNG uses lossless compression, so that would be analogous to taking an MP3 and converting it to FLAC, in which case zero degradation would occur. However, we're specifically talking about lossy compression here. Repeated iterations of lossy compression will absolutely introduce exponentially more compression artifacts each time it's applied.

But hey. Whatever makes people happy is what's important.

Agree 100%.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,603 of 1,668
Re: Cold Weather Issues

As I've read a number of posts regarding cold weather performance of the XM3s, but had not taken them outside, I did a simple test today, located in central Missouri - temp ~30F, win < 10mph.

Was listening to song1 as I went outside. Before song1 was over, Siri had initiated on her own. Before song2 was over, I went back inside (so was outside < 5min), touch controls were not responsive. I assume the internal circuitry had to heat back up a bit before they would work again. Luckily, I don't wear these outside. Regardless, if I had known about this behavior, I would not have purchased the XM3s. Not only is this unacceptable behavior for $350 headphones, this is unacceptable for any headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,605 of 1,668
Wow so the $200 credit went down to $100 when trading CFW1 to Codex

My battery died and It wasn’t charging anymore. Since I didn’t have a receipt I contacted vmoda if they could help me as long as the manufacturer date was within a year.

They told me they couldn’t help me since I wasn’t the original owner. Purchased used for 260 in June 2016.

I been using the CFW1s wired since April 2017.
Got the worst of both worlds. Wired BT and the sound isn’t as great as the m100.

Thought about upgrading after seeing it for $150 (cfw1 $200 credit for codex) but looks like they decreased the credit.
Rant over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back