USB DAC/Amp for 300 ohm Cans (title change)
Jun 11, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #17 of 35
I've tried the D6 HD650 combo. It's pretty good, drove it way better than my old meier headsix and certainly better than a desktop with a dedicated sound card. The D6 really takes away that "veil". The sound opens up a lot more, the soundstage expands, and you hear more far more detail. Still the HD650 was a little laid back for me.

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 35
It's good to hear from someone who has actually heard these amps with 300 ohm cans. Maybe this is what I'll have to spring for. As a matter of interest, what source are you using?

I don't mind the laid back, suits me fine.

Anyone here heard the D4?

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied. Please keep these responses coming, I'm happy to get as much information as I can before I make a decision. Now that I might have to expand to the $200 - $300 range do any new contenders pop up in the DAC/amp market?

Quote:
I've tried the D6 HD650 combo. It's pretty good, drove it way better than my old meier headsix and certainly better than a desktop with a dedicated sound card. The D6 really takes away that "veil". The sound opens up a lot more, the soundstage expands, and you hear more far more detail. Still the HD650 was a little laid back for me.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #19 of 35
I'm listening to the D6 right now, and while it's magic with my Grados, the D6 + 650 combo is just not that compelling to me. Perhaps the Woo has spoiled me but although the D6 can definitely drive the 650s way beyond listening volume, there seems to be something missing. Of course, that's just my opinion after a few listens.

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden4th /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The D4 was my only amp for 18 months, and I like it very much. Spend a week with the more powerful P4 and I'm afraid its hard to go back to the D4, making me think the D6 is a better fit for you.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #24 of 35

Quote:
It's good to hear from someone who has actually heard these amps with 300 ohm cans. Maybe this is what I'll have to spring for. As a matter of interest, what source are you using?

I don't mind the laid back, suits me fine.

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied. Please keep these responses coming, I'm happy to get as much information as I can before I make a decision. Now that I might have to expand to the $200 - $300 range do any new contenders pop up in the DAC/amp market?

I was using the D6 as a DAC as well, playing 320 kbps files from itunes.

Anyone tried using the D6 to drive the LCD2s or the HE-500s? I would be curious to see if they can drive these lower powered orthos sufficiently.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #25 of 35
I've come a long way down the track knowledge wise since I started this thread and hence the title change - I don't necessarily need portable but I do need a DAC. It's unlikely that I'll take my Senn HD580s traveling with me so the need for portability is not a need any more. It took Estreeter's excellent post/review/rant on the UHA4 vs the Leckerton to make me realise that. My Shure's don't really need an amp (though I do have a PA2V2) so my requirements have changed. I do realise that voltage is important in getting the best from my cans so I've once again removed certain items from my list and added others. I also realise that I can get an amp and a DAC separately.

The iBasso D6 is still firmly in the frame as it seems to have the power/voltage to give my Senns the headroom they are capable of.

The one amp that has come up time and again is the Fiio E9. I've been researching this for a week and I can only find one really negative review - on a forum where, if it doesn't cost well into 4 figures then it must automatically be  a piece of crap - and the E9 was thus dismissed out of hand. The reviews on this forum alone have suggested that it is an outstanding amp for the price and most importantly it has one of the things I most need, which is SQ neutrality.

So, do I get the E9 alone and use my uDAC as the DAC, do I get the E9/E7 combo or would another DAC do an even better job (with my budget constraints in mind). Alternatively do I spring the bucks for the D6. So let me list what I'm considering running from my desktop PC:

Fiio E9 (partnered with uDAC-2)
Fiio E9/E7
Fiio E9 (partnered with another DAC)
iBasso D6

Any other options?
Now, an apology of sorts. This thread has meandered along while I've weighed up all my options, added to my knowledge base and read countless reviews from a wide variety of sources. I apologise if this seems to be a slow process. Unlike a number of posters here I don't want to spring for it then trade it if it doesn't work out. I am a patient (some would say pedantic) shopper and will only purchase when I think I have got something that closely approximates what I need. So in this regard if you could show some forebearance  as I carefully calculate my options it would be appreciated. The simple fact is that you who post on this board can give me far more accurate opinions than a professional reviewer who has received his sample copy for free. You use the gear constantly (as opposed to the reviewer who hears it only briefly) and become acquainted with the product's foibles and its strengths. In my mind this makes you the best reviewers of all. This certainly applies to the classical music forums I inhabit so I'm sure it applies here too.

Finally, thanks again for your input, I do appreciate it as I navigate my way through what is foreign territory.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #26 of 35
To Holden4th - 

Personally - I prefer having separate Dacs and amps - I was close to getting a combo but decided against it - because for 300 ohms impedance - I really needed a powerful amp that could handle the necessary voltage swing. My cans are the HD600 and my DT880 are 600 ohms. So I turned to separates.
The uDAC-2 is a great little dac - but i would have gone for the Centrance DAC port and a separate amp. The Centrance is better than the uDAC-2 IMO. I'm not sure about those amps you have listed there....since I haven't had experience with them.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #27 of 35
Leckerton Audio UHA-6 or 6s 
I have the UHA-4 and it works WONDERS for the HD650's, I cannot believe how well it drives them.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #28 of 35
On another thread I read that there are issues with Win7 x64 not recognising the Fiio E7 and this has given me pause for thought about getting the E9/E7 combo. Maybe the UHA6 or the iBasso D6 is the way to go. I can always link them up to something like an E9 later if I wish to. I am waiting for a cheque from Harvard for some online work I've done for them so I can keep on looking but when it arrives it will be decision time. The Centrance DACport looks very inviting indeed but it is outside the budget I set - maybe I'll have to stretch it a little.

Once again, thanks for your input

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #29 of 35
I use my D4 mamba with the HD600 and it sound sweet.  This is of course with HiFlight's topkit.  Even at stock, it sounds great.  This is of course when I'm listening through the computer.  On the Ibasso website, it is $199.00 + shipping.  The D4 is a keeper for me.  You may also check for used ones.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
I use my D4 mamba with the HD600 and it sound sweet.  This is of course with HiFlight's topkit.  Even at stock, it sounds great.  This is of course when I'm listening through the computer.  On the Ibasso website, it is $199.00 + shipping.  The D4 is a keeper for me.  You may also check for used ones.

That's a very helpful reply thank you. Based on this I can hopefully assume that the D6 is even better as it's far more powerful. BTW, what does the Topkit actually do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back