USB DAC/Amp for 300 ohm Cans (title change)
Jun 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

holden4th

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a used pair of the legendary HD580s and I really love what they are doing. They are replacing my Shure 840s as my main set of cans for listening at home. I no longer need closed back here and the more open presentation is very appealing. I have this trait where I try to do my homework before buying anything and chose the 580s over the 600s because the difference is apparently minimal and therefore I would get a better price. I think I did.

I do a lot of listening from my PC and much of that homework told me that I would need a really good DAC/amp to make these babies sing but I am starting to question that  so your advice would be appreciated. I already had the Nuforce uDAC-2 and was impressed with what it did to my Shure's. But all the literature I read said that this DAC/Amp wouldn't really be able to drive the 580s to their best performance yet I am sitting here listening to Jean-Michel Jarre and the volume control on this little device is at about 10:30am and loud enough for me. The music is involving and sounds so much better than my Shures. Turning it up to almost full I do hear distortion (clipping?) so is the uDAC doing the job or do I need a somewhat better amp to drive my cans?

I ran some music out of my MP3 player (Sansa View 16Gb) connected to my PA2V2 and it took a lot more juice to drive the 580s in this mode so the uDAC seems to be better at providing the power for the Senns.

That all said, I want these cans to sound really good so should I upgrade from the Nuforce? I am aware of the law of diminishing returns with audio equipment so I don't want to splash out on something that costs twice as much as these HPs cost me ($135). Research suggests that the eponymous Total Bithead, iBasso and the Fiio E7 are worth investigating. The E7 seems to have about the same power as my Nuforce so I don't really see that as a possibility but could be persuaded. Are there any others I should consider? My price limit is about $200. I'd prefer portability but that doesn't have to be a given.

Your thoughts please.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 35
Based on posts from this and other threads plus my own research I've come up with a short list - based mainly on my budget.

I already have the Nuforce uDAC - 2. This is what I am considering:

Leckerton UHA4 $199
iBasso D2+ Boa $169
iBasso D4 Mamba $199
Fiio E7 $100
Total Bithead $149

I will be using these to drive my Sennheiser HD580s and much of my listening will be from my PC. I also use a Sansa View 16gb and the my work laptop. I have yet to attach the uDAc to my stand alone CD player (Marantz CD67 MkII SE)

Will any of these be a significant upgrade from my uDAC? What would you use and why? Will any of these really make my 580s sing better than my uDAC? Your opinions will help me decide what I purchase so I thank you in advance for your input?

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden4th /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Leckerton UHA4 $199
iBasso D2+ Boa $169
iBasso D4 Mamba $199
Fiio E7 $100
Total Bithead $149

I think you need to spend more money. Seriously.

I dont own ALL of the amps on your list, but I know what it was like trying to drive the K601 from the D4 - you really need more oomph. The P4 is a better choice, or the D5/D6 if you absolutely must have a DAC with your amp.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 35
Thansks for your reply. Yes, I must have a DAC with my amp. My question is why wouldn't any of these (especially the D4 or the Leckerton) provide the necessary oomph to drive my 580s? As I said earlier, I don't have to turn up my uDAc past 11 o'clock to get the volume I want and both of these amps seem much more powerful. I'm not doubting your reasoning but would simply like more information.

Quote:

I think you need to spend more money. Seriously.

I dont own ALL of the amps on your list, but I know what it was like trying to drive the K601 from the D4 - you really need more oomph. The P4 is a better choice, or the D5/D6 if you absolutely must have a DAC with your amp.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 35
What you are getting from the uDAC is volume - I very much doubt that you are getting the finesse, bass grip and resolution that your cans are capable of. Happy to hear otherwise.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 35
I'll let you know about the iBasso D6 w/ HD650 next week when mine comes in

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 35
D6 is a much better choice, but its not one of the choices he listed. I had the P4, and it will remove the skin from your ears at anything above '12 noon' on the volume pot - if iBasso's specs are to be trusted, the D6's amp section has a further 50mW per channel over the P4. Thats some serious oomph for a portable amp.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 35
The D6 has a gain control so I'm hoping that it will still be functional with low power requirement phones like grados.

@OP, have you considered selling your uDAC to help fund this purchase? If that isn't factored into your current budget you should be able to stretch for a D6, which per estreeter should be plenty of power for the Senns. 

Quote:
D6 is a much better choice, but its not one of the choices he listed. I had the P4, and it will remove the skin from your ears at anything above '12 noon' on the volume pot - if iBasso's specs are to be trusted, the D6's amp section has a further 50mW per channel over the P4. Thats some serious oomph for a portable amp.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 35
I used the P4 (and I still use the E9) with my Grados and 32-ohm AD900s  - no problem whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back