USB DAC/Amp for 300 ohm Cans (title change)
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #31 of 35
OK, my cheque from Harvard has arrived and has been deposited in my bank (but will take a week or two to clear) so it's decision time and I have finally made up my mind based on all the information I've received and in that respect I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to this thread. Every bit of informed comment is a vital part of the decision making process so I am reasonably confident that I have made a good choice. Your opinions agreeable or otherwise are still welcome.

I have decided that as I don't really need anything portable that a separate DAC and amp is the best way to go. Budget is the determinant!

My DAC will be the HRT Music Streamer II (the II+ is outside of my budget). The amp is the Fiio E9. I've already heard good news from a couple of people who have this combination and say it works very well. The HRT has already been ordered from ebay. I've not put in the order for the E9, this will happen when the cheque clears. I bought the HRT from an overseas supplier but I can get the E9 from and Aussie company for a decent price.

My uDAC will go to work and be attached to my work laptop.

Once again thanks for your input. When I receive my gear and listen to it I will report back and hopefully this will help someone else decide what to do.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 35
I think you will love the Streamer anyway - even if you didn't go for the II +. Glad you went for a quality DAC...

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 35

Quote:
I think you will love the Streamer anyway - even if you didn't go for the II +. Glad you went for a quality DAC...

My budget was the main determinant here. All the reviews I read said that the II+ was better but reading between the lines, not that significantly and this costs twice the price of the II. If I was continually playing very high res files (which I am not) then the II+ would have to be seriously factored in to the equation. I suspect that if I compared the two then the difference I would hear would not be enough to warrant the large price increase so I'll happily listen to the HRT II.

Now that I am going down this road what media player would you recommend? I currently use the paid version of Winamp to rip files. I use it because of the GaceNote cddb program which is far better than than the free version. Is there a better program out there? I've heard both Media Monkey and Foobar mentioned but I have no experience with either.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 35
I use dbpoweramp for ripping and conversion - but i am still on itunes which has got plenty of flaws. The head-fi member to ask who I know would give you a real answer would be ROLLER. Look him up...he is a friend and can be trusted to put on you the right media player. He has helped me out so much ( and he chides me daily for still using itunes)... hehehe

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 35

The topkit is an opamp kit much like on a tube amp, you roll tubes to attain the specific sound that you want.  The stock D4 is already sweet.  Other tubes, for solid state, you use the opamps.  HiFlight has a kit specific to the D4.  if you choose the D6, he may (or he does) have a topkit for that purpose.  HiFlight is the guru when it comes to Ibasso stuff.  He is also very willing to share what he knows.  There are some D4's on the FS forum for as low as $175.00.  Hope this helps.

Quote:
That's a very helpful reply thank you. Based on this I can hopefully assume that the D6 is even better as it's far more powerful. BTW, what does the Topkit actually do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back