USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Nov 10, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #5,626 of 6,528
ua3.jpg

After a few hours of burn-in (although very far from complete) the Shanling UA3 has lost a good part of its edges in the highs and mids. Let me start by saying that I use dongles mainly as pure DACs connected to my Cayin iHA-6 and I must say that this UA3 is proving to be a very successful dongle especially for desktop use. Thanks to its output which gives precisely 4 volts to the Cayin's balanced inputs and its practically zero background noise, it is simply perfect for desktop use. It basically has a line out output without having a line out output. Knowing the AKMs well, especially those tuned by the Shanling engineers, I can say with absolute certainty that as we continue with the burning-in, its sound signature will become even more rounded and free of edges, while maintaining its vocation for detail and musicality. A great little dongle... but a great desktop DAC if you look for it. Congratulations Shanling!!!
What are those USB c cables?

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #5,628 of 6,528
Can you help me compare Moondrop Dawn Pro vs Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro? What tonality do they have, what is the note weight and difference in technicalities? Which is a better choice to pair with Simgot EW200? I mainly listen to Power, Heavy and Thrash metal. Thank you in advance

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #5,629 of 6,528
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #5,631 of 6,528
Can you tell me how much volume steps there are and how much shorter is the listening time in comparison with a iphone dongle (because you said it needs a lot of energy)?
Seems to be about 62 volume steps. I don’t have an Apple dongle to measure the power draw, but I posted the draw from Yuki a few pages back so you could use that to estimate how quickly it will drain the battery on your particular phone model. There’s noticeable drain from my iPhone 12 mini, but I haven’t timed how quickly it goes down yet.

Nov 11, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #5,632 of 6,528
Do you have any idea how many hours it takes approximately for a complete burn-in of the Shanlig UA3? Thank you.

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #5,634 of 6,528
Zero because you have no idea or because it's not needed?

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,637 of 6,528
As far as anyone is aware, is the Shanling UA5 the only dongle with a built in battery?
All DACs with bluetooth functionality should have a battery, hmmm ? I use 2 different kind: Qudelix5k and Whooshi.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #5,638 of 6,528
Zero because burn in is not real 😂

(it's a major point of contention of course but I tend to disregard the arguments for against as the sound signature of a DAC or amp does not seem to change much over time IMHO)
Maybe, but serious companies like iBasso provide a cable specifically designed for burnin in their most prestigious DAPs, such as the one released in my iBasso DX220 MAX and I don't think they intend to fool their customers. Then we live in a strange world... and anything can be.

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #5,639 of 6,528
Maybe, but serious companies like iBasso provide a cable specifically designed for burnin in their most prestigious DAPs, such as the one released in my iBasso DX220 MAX and I don't think they intend to fool their customers. Then we live in a strange world... and anything can be.
ibasso have been supplying burn in cables forever. I've got one with a DX90 9-10 years ago

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #5,640 of 6,528
ibasso have been supplying burn in cables forever. I've got one with a DX90 9-10 years ago
If they thought they were useless, why make fun of us then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back