USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 29, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #5,491 of 6,433
It would be a good start if you wrote what you think of the improvement in listening and whether you think there has been. Many have distrusted what I wrote (the usual audio professors), but I don't care, I just wanted to help anyone who wanted to try to improve their dongles. This is enough for me, after all if I signed up on a forum it was precisely to share what I was learning and learn things I didn't know. That's all.
I will. It is weekend here so I do note get much listening time.
I would make this update to your instructions. See what you think.
4 usb type c 60 cm :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/Aceele-𝟏𝟎𝐆𝐛𝐩...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Powerbank

https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Portabl...Flashlight/dp/B07YPY31FL?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

You should also get the powerbank because it is also suitable for low current loads so you don't risk getting too much current to the dongle. Remember the order to connect them:

It only worked exactly as below.
1) connect the power bank to the END of the hub

2) connect the TAIL of the hub to your mobile phone/tablet

3) connect the dongle to the hub​

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #5,492 of 6,433
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #5,493 of 6,433
Sorry to confuse. I did but couldn't get it to work at first then I found one of your pictures made a couple adjustments and have listened to couple hours and appreciate your advice to everybody I think everyone should take you up on it who is listening at home

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #5,494 of 6,433
If I remember correctly you said you had the iBasso DC04PRO... well with that mod it becomes an absolute reference dac. I use it at work with the Letshuoer S12 PRO and it is absolutely wonderful what I hear. :wink:

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #5,495 of 6,433
Funny you should mention that the DC04 Pro is the one I tried with it for a couple of hours and I was pretty impressed ! I'm betting the power-hungry RU6 is really going to benefit from the mod too. I'm thinking about an M12 or an M15 or an Earmen Colibri. Other than the M15 which I know you really really dig Do you know much about the other two ? I think I might be addicted to buying these things. I've seen Apogee grooves around for pretty cheap I don't know if those are still good they're kind of old

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #5,496 of 6,433
I've seen Apogee grooves around for pretty cheap I don't know if those are still good they're kind of old

The apogee groove has an output impedance of > 20 ohms (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-apogee-groove-dac-and-amp.5379/)

Based on the rules of eights, this dongle is not the best option for IEMs that have low impedance, as it might skew the frequency response, especially for those multi drivers that have variable impedance curves.

It is probably best suited for harder to drive high impedance gear, for stuff > 160 ohms in impedance. YMMV.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #5,497 of 6,433
Oct 30, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #5,498 of 6,433
Funny you should mention that the DC04 Pro is the one I tried with it for a couple of hours and I was pretty impressed ! I'm betting the power-hungry RU6 is really going to benefit from the mod too. I'm thinking about an M12 or an M15 or an Earmen Colibri. Other than the M15 which I know you really really dig Do you know much about the other two ? I think I might be addicted to buying these things. I've seen Apogee grooves around for pretty cheap I don't know if those are still good they're kind of old
Besides the M15 which has a special place in my dongle collection... If I were you, I would wait for this:

DC_Elite.jpg

Unless you are (like me) a serial hoarder of dongles... you don't need to have many... just have the right ones. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

...and this one looks like it's the right one...

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #5,499 of 6,433
Question, which one of these newer dongles are very power efficient?

Currently using a Hidisz Sonata S8 on an iPhone 15 Pro and it really drains the phone's battery pretty quick.

Want to find a new dongle that measures really well and is also very power efficient.

I tried the Tempotec BHD Pro for a few days but didn't like the miniscule volume increments where it took forever for any noticeable change in volume.

Oct 30, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #5,500 of 6,433
Question, which one of these newer dongles are very power efficient?

Currently using a Hidisz Sonata S8 on an iPhone 15 Pro and it really drains the phone's battery pretty quick.

Want to find a new dongle that measures really well and is also very power efficient.

I tried the Tempotec BHD Pro for a few days but didn't like the miniscule volume increments where it took forever for any noticeable change in volume.
From the measurements the most efficient should be the L&P W4EX followed by the L&P W4 and I would also add the excellent Questyle M15 which is very economical in consumption, but perhaps not at the level of the first two.

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #5,501 of 6,433
From the measurements the most efficient should be the L&P W4EX followed by the L&P W4 and I would also add the excellent Questyle M15 which is very economical in consumption, but perhaps not at the level of the first two.
Thanks. Any other recommendations that are less expensive?

I could maybe stretch for the M15, but am hoping to find something closer to the $100 mark.

Oct 30, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #5,502 of 6,433
Thanks. Any other recommendations that are less expensive?

I could maybe stretch for the M15, but am hoping to find something closer to the $100 mark.
In these matters, if I were you, I wouldn't care about the 100 dollars more or less. It is useless to buy something that we are not convinced of just because of a difference in price and then as soon as it arrives, put it on sale (for half of what you paid for it) because you wanted the other one. You put a lot more money into it and you're not even happy. Having said that, in my opinion, the best value for money among all the dongles is the iBssso DC04PRO and it costs more or less the amount you would like to spend.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #5,503 of 6,433
Who knows if the new iBasso DC-Elite and D16 Taipan will be equipped with lineout outputs... that would be wonderful...

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #5,505 of 6,433

Users who are viewing this thread

Back