USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 9, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,011 of 6,468
If that default setting is the most neutral, it wouldn’t be a problem for me. Is that the case? I’m not sure what those filters are and I’m just looking for the best quality/portability ratio possible while walking around with my Meze 99 classics with the balanced cable.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #5,012 of 6,468
If that default setting is the most neutral, it wouldn’t be a problem for me. Is that the case? I’m not sure what those filters are and I’m just looking for the best quality/portability ratio possible while walking around with my Meze 99 classics with the balanced cable.
I'd say it is the most linear filter out of the five but in my experience with the DC04Pro I have found it slightly "hotter" in the treble and sibilant in particular tracks with this filter.
I have 99 Classics as well and I reckon they have fairly good synergy considering the warmth of the 99 Classics.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #5,013 of 6,468
I'd say it is the most linear filter out of the five but in my experience with the DC04Pro I have found it slightly "hotter" in the treble and sibilant in particular tracks with this filter.
I have 99 Classics as well and I reckon they have fairly good synergy considering the warmth of the 99 Classics.
DC04Pro and FiiO KA5 sound very similar, but latter has onboard settings (no app required).

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,014 of 6,468
DC04Pro and FiiO KA5 sound very similar, but latter has onboard settings (no app required).
Yep, I would actually recommend the KA5 just for that screen meaning you can use it with Android or iOS. It was a toss up for me but I chose the DC04Pro since it was on sale at a local store lol

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #5,016 of 6,468
And the FiiO KA5 3.5mm output doubles as SPDIF output as a bonus.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #5,017 of 6,468
What would be the recommended dongle for an iPhone where battery life is an important factor? It doesn't have to be budget. :wink:

I would only use with IEMs, presumably easy to drive.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #5,018 of 6,468
What would be the recommended dongle for an iPhone where battery life is an important factor? It doesn't have to be budget. :wink:

I vote for Questyle M15.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #5,019 of 6,468

If power consumption is the top priority i would say ddHifi TC44A, 4.4mm output and single CS43131 DAC.

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #5,021 of 6,468
Can anyone briefly compare the differences between KA5 and DC04 (and maybe FC4)? Are all sounding neutral or is one of them slightly warmer? I prefer a slight treble dampening/bass emphazis if possible, but i can't really find direct comparisons between them.
Does any of these support also mic ? What are the sale periods at hifigo, linsoul, shenzenmusic, ? Apparently no discounts at this moment.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #5,022 of 6,468
Can anyone briefly compare the differences between KA5 and DC04 (and maybe FC4)? Are all sounding neutral or is one of them slightly warmer? I prefer a slight treble dampening/bass emphazis if possible, but i can't really find direct comparisons between them.
I think Andy dongle madness compared most Cirrus dongles. The KA5 (the latest launched) review may feature comparison between those 3

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #5,023 of 6,468
What are some of the lower cost, recommended android dongles? I'm thinking of something like the VE Abigail but available from Amazon. (I need it in a few days.) (I'd check out Dongle Madness but the star ratings is currently down.) Thank you!

Jun 9, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #5,024 of 6,468
What are some of the lower cost, recommended android dongles? I'm thinking of something like the VE Abigail but available from Amazon. (I need it in a few days.) (I'd check out Dongle Madness but the star ratings is currently down.) Thank you!

If you do not need much power to drive demanding transducers, the Apple dongle (select the USB-C variant) is quite adequate in terms of sonics. Good measurements, quite neutralish.

It can't drive gear that has too low sensitivity/high impedance well, but otherwise does a good job for most IEMs. Costs below $10 too!

Jun 9, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #5,025 of 6,468
DC04pro also defaults to highest gain, which theoretically has the most noise. Subjectively I find it to have more treble bite and less dynamics and fun than lowest gain. I usually stick to lowest gain and slow filter with the help of the app. I find I can push DC04 to higher volume than other dongles because the treble never becomes aggressive.

Perhaps consider other dongles where the setting can be changed on the dongle itself, like W2, but that will be expensive. I'm not too familiar with the other dongles that do the same.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back