USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #4,981 of 6,458
Just got DC04 pro, my first impression is the lovely black background with sensitive IEMs on both 3.5 and 4.4 plugs, I have a question: does the DC04 pro store its configuration by itself? I use it mainly with my Windows Laptop and I have an old Android Phone that can configure it, thanks!
are you sure the DC04 pro is not on standby mode when you listen the background ?

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #4,982 of 6,458
Just tested it, and it seems that is correct ... Btw, I hear hiss with the NOS filter, does anyone face that?
Don't have the DC04 Pro, but - amongst others - the Fiio KA5. They both have the same/similar Cirrus Logic chips, and have the same filters. And on the KA5 I also hear some noise/hiss with the NOS setting. Just checked it with the L&P W4 (same DAC chips, but 4 of them): also a tiny bit of noise, but much less. Seems L&P applied a trick here: looks/sounds like they switch of the output stage in case of very low signal levels (small click can be heard, not present with other filter settings).

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #4,983 of 6,458
are you sure the DC04 pro is not on standby mode when you listen the background ?
I tested both standby mode and running mode for all 5 filters, only NOS produces some slight hiss
Don't have the DC04 Pro, but - amongst others - the Fiio KA5. They both have the same/similar Cirrus Logic chips, and have the same filters. And on the KA5 I also hear some noise/hiss with the NOS setting. Just checked it with the L&P W4 (same DAC chips, but 4 of them): also a tiny bit of noise, but much less. Seems L&P applied a trick here: looks/sounds like they switch of the output stage in case of very low signal levels (small click can be heard, not present with other filter settings).
Thanks for the information, I used LP W2 before but I have not tried the NOS filter on it, this DC04 pro has the same level of dark background as W2

Jun 7, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #4,984 of 6,458
I tested both standby mode and running mode for all 5 filters, only NOS produces some slight hiss

Thanks for the information, I used LP W2 before but I have not tried the NOS filter on it, this DC04 pro has the same level of dark background as W2
Try upsampling with your music player software when using NOS, or when using sensitive IEM's take it off high gain.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #4,985 of 6,458
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a good DAC dongle for the Android Phone/Laptop, to work well with the Letshuoer z12 (planar), up to 130eur range. I have 3 options so far: Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Hiby FC4 or Fiio KA5? I'm more oscillating between the last two? Any recommendation or is there any other alternative?

I read the FC4 should be fairly powerful for a planar iem. The KA5 is newer thought, so i think it might be better. I'm just concerned about the constant battery consumption. Btw. I would also like something as simple as possible, without too many tweaks, eq, apps, etc. Just plug and listen mainly.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #4,986 of 6,458
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a good DAC dongle for the Android Phone/Laptop, to work well with the Letshuoer z12 (planar), up to 130eur range. I have 3 options so far: Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Hiby FC4 or Fiio KA5? I'm more oscillating between the last two? Any recommendation or is there any other alternative?

I read the FC4 should be fairly powerful for a planar iem. The KA5 is newer thought, so i think it might be better. I'm just concerned about the constant battery consumption. Btw. I would also like something as simple as possible, without too many tweaks, eq, apps, etc. Just plug and listen mainly.
How about DC04Pro? Have not tried the KA5 and FC4 but I think you should also consider DC04Pro. To me, it is really really really good at its price, it surprised me moreeeee than what I have expected.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #4,987 of 6,458
How about DC04Pro? Have not tried the KA5 and FC4 but I think you should also consider DC04Pro. To me, it is really really really good at its price, it surprised me moreeeee than what I have expected.
Hows the dc04 Pro?
In my place its cheaper and to many reviews and impression, its great sounding
the only issues i read about its that "it ran warm"

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #4,988 of 6,458
Hows the dc04 Pro?
In my place its cheaper and to many reviews and impression, its great sounding
the only issues i read about its that "it ran warm"
dead silent, neutral, analytical, open soundstage, a little mid-bass focus. I use it with A12t and MDR-Z1R, I think I should use the word "cozy" for it, not warm or hot during running.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #4,989 of 6,458
I vote for DC04PRO :wink:

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #4,990 of 6,458
Hi guys,

I would go with the FiiO KA5 and its dual CS43198.

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,991 of 6,458
Sorry, but has anyone bought or at least tried the Hifiman HM 800? There's a three page post here on Head fi and then it's never been talked about again? Does anyone have any news on this? Thank you.

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,992 of 6,458
Thanks for the answers all. I was not aware of the DC04 Pro model. I read only good things about it. I reduce my selection now between Hiby FC4 and DC04Pro, but can't find a direct comparison yet. I guess either would be great in my situation.

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4,993 of 6,458
Thanks for the answers all. I was not aware of the DC04 Pro model. I read only good things about it. I reduce my selection now between Hiby FC4 and DC04Pro, but can't find a direct comparison yet. I guess either would be great in my situation.
I suggest also to consider Qudelix-5K, which contains a built-in equalizer that maybe can alleviate Z12's treble (or whatever it is that makes them so uncomfortable). I have S12 Pro, and my ears start ringing after using them for 15 minutes. I can use my other iems all day long without any problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back