USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 14, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,856 of 6,499
Ah I was thinking if it was worth it to give M12 another chance, but based from what you said maybe I should save my money then lol.

I'm in the same boat as you, I really like the forward/exciting sound signature except I use Dragonfly Red.

The only thing left to try is Mojo 1..... Still on the fence. I've tried Mojo 2 while there are some aspect I like but there are also aspect I don't like. Didn't want to pay 3-4 times the price but still need to compromise lol. At least Mojo 1 is cheaper now lol.

Someone suggested I try Jitterbug on DFR. Might give that a go, otherwise same as you the search goes on......

Well the M12 is certainly more lively than the Link2 BAL. I do like it and it would be great for portable due to its super small and light weight form factor. And the recessed mids is so slight that I am not entirely sure that is what I am hearing and could easily overlook it without having a forward sounding DAC/AMP to compare side by side. It is still a very nice sounding unit that is very clear, neutral and dynamic and would certainly have its place in anyone's collection. I just haven't decided if I am going to keep it or not.

May 15, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #3,858 of 6,499
What dongle/DAC with BT under $200 do you guys recommend?

May 15, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #3,859 of 6,499
What dongle/DAC with BT under $200 do you guys recommend?
Qudelix 5K
[Dual DAC ES9218p, QCC5124 Bluetooth chipset, 3.5mm+2.5mm]
"older DAC chip", no MQA, but have hardware parametric EQ

Fiio BTR5 (2021)
[Dual DAC ES9219C, CSR8675 Bluetooth chipset, 3.5mm+2.5mm]
Updated new chip with MQA, "lesser" bluetooth chipset, have tiny screen that surprisingly useful

Shanling up5
[Dual DAC ES9219C, QCC5120 bluetooth chipset, 3.5mm+2.5mm+4.4mm]
Upper model launched after UP4 is not capable to stand toe to toe against BTR5 and Q5K
New chip with MQA, with higher bluetooth chipset, 3 jack instead of two, with screen and bigger battery compared to the to other two.

Pick your poison.

Can't say much about sound quality as i only have BTR5 which for the price its freakin awesome.
It have much better clarity and more transparent compared to my other dac Dragonfly Red.
i have it for over a year and still running mostly fine (one issue after i got caught in heavy rain and got it a bit wet, but after it dried out its sound ok again)
for the most part the sound is one par with each other, but Qudelix with its hardware EQ is the main darling around here.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #3,861 of 6,499
Today we on Headfonia are looking at the new Shanling UA5 dongle, featuring dual ESS ES9038Q2M DACs and two dedicated Ricore RE6863 op-amps. An article by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/shanling-ua5-review/

chrome_2022-05-17_08-30-37.png

May 17, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #3,862 of 6,499
What is the general consensus on moondrop moon river 2? Is it good for the price? Do people consider them a bit leaning to bright?
So far the review state the sound is very good, flat, neutral and fairy sharp. it just a bit power hungry compared to its peer.

Moon River 2 being so exquisitely well balanced to be neutral and organic – with some hint of analogue touches depending on which partner being paired... Moon River 2 also lived up to the 4 Vrms power rating, easily driving stubborn partners properly and satisfactorily... Not forgetting less than impressive battery endurance at just 4 hours when competitors offers 6 hours objectively
https://andyaudiovault.com/moondrop-moon-river-2/
----

Today we on Headfonia are looking at the new Shanling UA5 dongle, featuring dual ESS ES9038Q2M DACs and two dedicated Ricore RE6863 op-amps. An article by @Aerosphere

https://www.headfonia.com/shanling-ua5-review/

At this point, it felt that Link 2 Bal review is not released yet out of spite :sob:
Shanling UA5 is a bit overbudget, but the red one... so pretty.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #3,863 of 6,499
At this point, it felt that Link 2 Bal review is not released yet out of spite :sob:
Shanling UA5 is a bit overbudget, but the red one... so pretty.

Sorry, I have the Link 2 BAL here with me, I haven't gotten round to it yet. Next up is the Cayin RU6, then the xDuoo

May 19, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #3,864 of 6,499
Hello all!

My partner’s phone had reached the end of its support life, so we’re starting to look for new phones for him. The only real contenders right now are the Pixel 6 and 6a, which means no more 3.5mm jack.

So I’m trying to find what the “best” option for cheap, easily replaceable dongles are. For the most part he uses bluetooth audio, but wants the dongles as a “whoops I forgot to charge these last night” option.

Listening conditions for their use will be less than ideal, and sound quality isn’t super important past the basics of not hissing and being able to drive 64 ohm max headphones (but more likely 16) at a reasonable volume on public transit.

From reading through some recent discussions, it sounds like the cx 31993 is probably the best choice? Mostly because the apple dongle has some power limitations on android if you don’t want to play around with advanced setting.

Is the CX 31993 the way to go, or are there any others I should look into?

May 19, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #3,865 of 6,499
You might also consider the Periodic Audio Rhodium. Superb sound plus a 5 year warranty.

May 19, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3,867 of 6,499
May 19, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #3,869 of 6,499

Users who are viewing this thread

Back