USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 27, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3,826 of 6,508
Hi, What is current market best sounding Dongle/portable dac amp . I can not decide to jump to an expensive DAP or just buy a good dongle. Currently i have Cobalt but it has not that good sound. You think the Mojo 2 or some new China dongles like HIdizs 9pro are good ? thank you
The Cayin RU6 is an amazing dongle. It's an R2R architecture with NOS mode, which has a lovely analogue musicality to it. Drives high impedance headphones as well as sensitive iems and is a similar size form to the Cobalt (and way superior in SQ).

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #3,827 of 6,508
In today's article we review the Colibri. Find out how the EarMen Colibri performs, compares and why we're giving it our Recommended Buy Award, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/earmen-colibri-review/

EarMen Colibri Rec (15).jpg

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #3,828 of 6,508
Hi there, could anyone help me realise something. All these dongles being connected to a phone reproduce all sounds from it. I mean sound from any player, streaming service, YouTube, etc. Is it correct? So you just need to plug it into a phone and that's it?
Sorry for a dumb question, I've used only Bluetooth devices so far.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #3,829 of 6,508
Hi there, could anyone help me realise something. All these dongles being connected to a phone reproduce all sounds from it. I mean sound from any player, streaming service, YouTube, etc. Is it correct? So you just need to plug it into a phone and that's it?
Yes as far as I know it carry over ALL sound. Including ringtones.

Should work exactly the same as Bluetooth device I believe, except wired lol.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #3,830 of 6,508

I am not an apple user, so what is written here applies to android devices. You might still need to activate USB bit perfect mode sometimes, or even get a music app (eg Hiby app is free) to get the dongle playing optimally.

Some older android models may have compatibility issues with some dongles too in terms of firmware and getting the dongle to recognize it. Some older android models also use micro-USB, for which you may need an adapter to use USB-C dongles.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #3,832 of 6,508
Can I do the same trick with desktop dacs and their usb input via otg cable? Do I need special software for that purpose?
I use an Android device as a source.
Yeah I believe so, just as long your desktop device has their own power source, otherwise it might drain your phone really fast.

Also to my understanding is that OTG cable only allow your phone to power the device, without OTG cable it just doesn't allow your phone to send power. So if your desktop device already have power I believe you can use any cable. I recently tried Mojo 2 on my phone just off any cable and it worked, since Mojo 2 has its own battery.

And no special software needed, desktop units are really just bigger dongle dacs LOL. Or dongle dacs are tiny desktop units..... depending on your perspective.

Only exception I believe is some device don't work on iOS (check manual) but I think Android is mostly universal I think.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,833 of 6,508
Yeah I believe so, just as long your desktop device has their own power source, otherwise it might drain your phone really fast.

Also to my understanding is that OTG cable only allow your phone to power the device, without OTG cable it just doesn't allow your phone to send power. So if your desktop device already have power I believe you can use any cable. I recently tried Mojo 2 on my phone just off any cable and it worked, since Mojo 2 has its own battery.

And no special software needed, desktop units are really just bigger dongle dacs LOL. Or dongle dacs are tiny desktop units..... depending on your perspective.

Only exception I believe is some device don't work on iOS (check manual) but I think Android is mostly universal I think.
I think a better analogy is an off-board sound card…

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,834 of 6,508
I think a better analogy is an off-board sound card…
lol yeah I guess bottom line is they're basically USB soundcards yes.

I guess soundcard just doesn't sound cool in 2022 LOL.

EDIT: I think when people say soundcard you're thinking box with cheesy ugly 3D rendered gaming character from 1998 LOL.

EDIT2: Yes I had a soundblaster back in the days......

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,835 of 6,508
lol yeah I guess bottom line is they're basically USB soundcards yes.

I guess soundcard just doesn't sound cool in 2022 LOL.

EDIT: I think when people say soundcard you're thinking box with cheesy ugly 3D rendered gaming character from 1998 LOL.

EDIT2: Yes I had a soundblaster back in the days......
lol that reminds me my Adlib 8-bit sound card. Huge improvement over the beeps from the PC speaker for games.

May 1, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #3,837 of 6,508
USB-C DACs are simply the best. Much better then regular DACs or soundcards. Cheap and easily to replace, tons of different sound signatures at your disposal. Just use a new dongle. Today I connected the amplifier for my passive speakers to the iBasso DC05. Never before I have heard such fine and clear sound coming from my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back