USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 23, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #3,811 of 6,526
Looking for a warm sounding usb c to 3.5 mm adapter for my phone, design wise something similar to the apple/u-green adapters out there, but would go for something larger if a warmer sound signature can’t be found in the smaller adapters.

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #3,814 of 6,526
Highly recommend DD HiFi TC35i
I also have a Chord Mojo and Fiio BTR5 but I use TC35i the most among all three. The sound is okay but the mobility is almost second to none.
I concur, the ddHiFi TC35B has excellent form factor and sound-wise is almost the same with the Rhodium.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #3,816 of 6,526
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #3,817 of 6,526
I am looking for a clean, detailed, fast and transparent 'small form factor' dongle.

I do like the Cobalt in that sense, it seems to be the closest signature to my liking.
The xDuoo Link2 Bal seems a little soft and dull, but well balanced.
The iBasso DC05 is a maybe a bit too aggressive, non organic, non flowing.
CX Pro is not bad for the price, but is not as clean of sound and not as detailed.
I ordered a TT Sonata HD II ES9270, but it was DOA and had to return it.
All IMO of course.

I would rather not have to go to a larger form factor such as the Mojo, but would if I had to. I'm considering the Questyle M12, M15, Hidizs S9 Pro, or ?
@OspreyAndy's thoughts on the implementation of the ESS ES9038Q2M in the Cobalt was that it was a bit lacking. Maybe if that chip were in a better designed dongle it would be worthier?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #3,818 of 6,526
I am looking for a clean, detailed, fast and transparent 'small form factor' dongle.

I do like the Cobalt in that sense, it seems to be the closest signature to my liking.
The xDuoo Link2 Bal seems a little soft and dull, but well balanced.
The iBasso DC05 is a maybe a bit too aggressive, non organic, non flowing.
CX Pro is not bad for the price, but is not as clean of sound and not as detailed.
I ordered a TT Sonata HD II ES9270, but it was DOA and had to return it.
All IMO of course.

I would rather not have to go to a larger form factor such as the Mojo, but would if I had to. I'm considering the Questyle M12, M15, Hidizs S9 Pro, or ?
@OspreyAndy's thoughts on the implementation of the ESS ES9038Q2M in the Cobalt was that it was a bit lacking. Maybe if that chip were in a better designed dongle it would be worthier?
You are literally describing Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and TempoTec Sonata E44, both of which are far superior than DF Cobalt could ever be

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,819 of 6,526
You are literally describing Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and TempoTec Sonata E44, both of which are far superior than DF Cobalt could ever be

I should clarify that I am older than dirt and my hearing is rolled off in the highs a bit, so I tend to seek equipment that is very slightly brighter than normal and in that sense the speed, detail and transparency of the Cobalt is attractive to me.

-Is the E44 with CS43131 similar in sonics to the Cobalt with ES9038Q2M, except better in your view, and why?

-Is the E44 sparkly, clean, detailed, fast and transparent?

-How does the Hidizs S9 Pro with ES9038Q2M compare with Cobalt?

TIA

EDIT for clarification

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #3,820 of 6,526
ddHiFi TC44C mini DAC/AMP arrived today, looks really nice, very small footprint, solid feel and decent cable. 'Leather' case is a nice added touch.

Sounds very good, I have no plans to compare it to my 5 other devices, it will just go into rotation. I typically only use these devices when walking the dog so don't do a lot of nuanced listening.

One added bonus, for me anyways, is that I can use this as input into the ifi xCan, why? because I can.

I came really close to buying the iFi AUDIO micro iDSD Signature DAC and Headphone Amplifier for 499.00 and hopefully the sale will end soon before I succumb to that temptation

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #3,821 of 6,526
ddHiFi TC44C mini DAC/AMP arrived today, looks really nice, very small footprint, solid feel and decent cable. 'Leather' case is a nice added touch.

Sounds very good, I have no plans to compare it to my 5 other devices, it will just go into rotation. I typically only use these devices when walking the dog so don't do a lot of nuanced listening.

One added bonus, for me anyways, is that I can use this as input into the ifi xCan, why? because I can.

I came really close to buying the iFi AUDIO micro iDSD Signature DAC and Headphone Amplifier for 499.00 and hopefully the sale will end soon before I succumb to that temptation
lol damn I was staring at the ddHiFi TC44C too, but ultimately didn't do it because based on power spec I didn't think it can drive full size headphone well.

Would you happen to have any full size headphone to test? Also would you able to give any impression regarding male/female vocal, does it sound forward?

Thanks!

EDIT: Though really was very tempted to buy because it's "cute looking" LOL.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,822 of 6,526
It can drive a pair of DCA Aeon 2, but not very loud. It drives them much better when hooked up to the xCan via the TC44C

will try to find some time later regarding the vocals. listen to mostly Jazz and Jam bands, 64 year old ears with tinnitus, i don't typically pay attention to forward

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #3,823 of 6,526
It can drive a pair of DCA Aeon 2, but not very loud. It drives them much better when hooked up to the xCan via the TC44C

will try to find some time later regarding the vocals. listen to mostly Jazz and Jam bands, 64 year old ears with tinnitus, i don't typically pay attention to forward
lol yeah I find I adjust volume based on vocal loudness, so if vocal is recessed I end up having the treble and bass too loud and it hurts my hearing. So generally speaking I like vocal being a bit forward so I can listen quieter if that makes sense.

But let me know, thanks!

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #3,824 of 6,526
Periodic Audio Rhodium comes into mind.
+1 on the Rhodium! It is my most used dongle for IEMs. Very battery-friendly with superb SQ.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #3,825 of 6,526
Hi, What is current market best sounding Dongle/portable dac amp . I can not decide to jump to an expensive DAP or just buy a good dongle. Currently i have Cobalt but it has not that good sound. You think the Mojo 2 or some new China dongles like HIdizs 9pro are good ? thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back