USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #1,336 of 6,458
In theory, Erilles has a better dac, but I think that in Meizu the implementation was more successful. Erilles heats up more, drains the cell phone battery more and does not turn off when the 3.5mm plug is disconnected. Comparing the sound, meizu softens the treble, the bass is soft, and the midrange is ok. On the other hand, Eriles has more striking bass, more beautiful mids and the trebles are better rendered, detailed. It is interesting to note that Meizu is more tolerant of non-audiophile sources, such as deezer or spotify, while Erilless is relentless with low quality sources. Erilles is better built, while Meizu looks like it will break the cable if usage is constant (no one has reported this yet). I like Erilles better in comparison, but not for everything. In summary, both are excellent and anyone who can invest in two dongles, I recommend having both.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,341 of 6,458
I bought a ES9280C PRO ESS USB DAC/AMP at the last aliexpress sale, just arrived. Got it at $25 USD after coupons.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 15.29.14.jpeg

Specs:
  • Type: USB type C to 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Support sampling rate: PCM 44.1/ 48 / 96/192Khz/384Khz 24bit to 32bit, DSD64/DSD128 DOP
  • Support Hi-Res audio and SACD.
  • Output impedance: 8 Ohms to 600 Ohms
  • Output power: 30mw at 32 Ohms, 2Vrms at 600 Ohms
  • Output level: 2Vrms max
  • Data transfer speed: USB 2.0
  • S/N ratio: >120dB at 1Khz
  • Dynamic >122dB
  • Crosstalk < -126dB at 32 Ohms
  • Total length: 10cm
The DAC chip is ES9280C PRO from ESS made in USA, it support DSD64 and DSD128, Support PCM up to 32bit 384Khz

Got it to try out this new DAC chip, for comparisons, my other DAC/AMP USB dongles are the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and Tempotec Sonata HD (non Pro) and an apple lightning dongle. I still like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro more in terms of sound quality, wrote a small review about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

Pros of ES9280C PRO ESS
- clean background, no hiss, no clicking.
- plug and play, no need driver installation.
- much more juice to drive higher impedance stuff than Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
- double thickenss in cable braiding than Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, feels more sturdy for cable bending.
- very low output impedance, low THD.
- compatible with mic.

Cons:
- on first listening, I find it tinge less detailed and having less instrument separation/clarity than the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, but I will do more A/B testing over the next few days. It's still good mind you, but I'm still using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as my gold standard comparison for now.
- heats up quite a lot with use, very warm to touch, unlike Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
- no volume controller.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,343 of 6,458
Can you rank them based on sound quality alone?
Thank you
So,
Considering only the sound, and considering the headphones I use (Tin T2, Blon Bl03, TRN V90, ATH M40x, HDJ X5 e SRH440):
1 - Erilles - ES9280 - high performance with my headphones
2 - Sonata HD pro - CS43131 - high performance with my headphones
3 - Meizu pro - CS43131 - high performance with my headphones
4 - DAC Audio - ES9018 K2M - is not at the top, but has tremendous value for money
5 - Charmtek tpr22 - WHS9415 - is not at the top, but has tremendous value for money
6 - Linkfor DAC 082 - AK4452 - good dac, just ok
7 - Charmtek tpr11 - CX21988 - mediocre dac, do not recommend

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #1,345 of 6,458
Read your DD TC35B review Palash. Good info - clearly the dongle market is full of choices.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is still the gold standard I see.

I have a hunch the ES9280C PRO ESS USB DAC doesn't really have ES9280C PRO ESS chip in it. But it's more likely to have it I guess. I'll ask Cabledo whether it's not a lie.

Erilles - ES9280 - is it much difference over the Sonata HD pro? CS43131 is good, but the rest aren't good: ES9018 K2M, WHS9415 (some smartphones?), CX21988 (used in Surface and Pixel dongles)

Charmtek tpr series is bought OEM from Cabledo ( Shenzhen Toprare Technology - Shenzhen Redstar Electronics Co.,Ltd. 深圳市瑞祥达电子有限公司 )

They're not very competitive products, unlike DD TC35B - so small!

new Synaptics AudioSmart CX31988 of TPR24 (which seems to have somewhat incredible specs - I am surprised Conexant could do it),

TPR23 with ESS ES9280C Pro,

TPR22 with Qualcomm WHS9415, and

TPR21 with ALC5686

All can do 'DSD' but not equally well.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,346 of 6,458
Read your DD TC35B review Palash. Good info - clearly the dongle market is full of choices.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is still the gold standard I see.

I have a hunch the ES9280C PRO ESS USB DAC doesn't really have ES9280C PRO ESS chip in it. But it's more likely to have it I guess. I'll ask Cabledo whether it's not a lie.

Erilles - ES9280 - is it much difference over the Sonata HD pro? CS43131 is good, but the rest aren't good: ES9018 K2M, WHS9415 (some smartphones?), CX21988 (used in Surface and Pixel dongles)

Charmtek tpr series is bought OEM from Cabledo ( Shenzhen Toprare Technology - Shenzhen Redstar Electronics Co.,Ltd. 深圳市瑞祥达电子有限公司 )

They're not very competitive products, unlike DD TC35B - so small!

new Synaptics AudioSmart CX31988 of TPR24 (which seems to have somewhat incredible specs - I am surprised Conexant could do it),

TPR23 with ESS ES9280C Pro,

TPR22 with Qualcomm WHS9415, and

TPR21 with ALC5686

All can do 'DSD' but not equally well.
I am also curious to know other opinions. Unfortunately, I am limited to the headphones I own (none of them above $ 100). Perhaps the Palash that has more resources could contribute to the discussion.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #1,347 of 6,458
In theory, Erilles has a better dac, but I think that in Meizu the implementation was more successful. Erilles heats up more, drains the cell phone battery more and does not turn off when the 3.5mm plug is disconnected. Comparing the sound, meizu softens the treble, the bass is soft, and the midrange is ok. On the other hand, Eriles has more striking bass, more beautiful mids and the trebles are better rendered, detailed. It is interesting to note that Meizu is more tolerant of non-audiophile sources, such as deezer or spotify, while Erilless is relentless with low quality sources. Erilles is better built, while Meizu looks like it will break the cable if usage is constant (no one has reported this yet). I like Erilles better in comparison, but not for everything. In summary, both are excellent and anyone who can invest in two dongles, I recommend having both.

Could you do a mini-review for the Erilles DAC? I'm intrigued by it's top placement by you and by its 130dB SNR.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #1,348 of 6,458
Hi can some one post a link to the Erilles ?
Reading this tread I became interested but I can't seem to find it.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,349 of 6,458
I don't think Erilles exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back