USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,351 of 6,421
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,352 of 6,421

I think they all use the same ESS ES9280C Pro DAC chip, but maybe implementation and specs are slightly different. I did a lot of searching at the last Aliexpress sale and finally found what I think it is the cheapest of the ES9280 DACs. Bought my ES9280C Pro dongle here (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898095947.html) for $25 after coupons.

So far quite happy with it, it is definitely more powerful than the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for higher impedance gear, just that it heats up and uses more battery and has no volume control. Sound wise, I think the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is a tinge better in clarity/details and is warmer, the ES9280C seems a bit on the brighter side for me but is of better build and braid diameter.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,353 of 6,421
I think they all use the same ESS ES9280C Pro DAC chip, but maybe implementation and specs are slightly different. I did a lot of searching at the last Aliexpress sale and finally found what I think it is the cheapest of the ES9280 DACs. Bought my ES9280C Pro dongle here (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898095947.html) for $25 after coupons.

So far quite happy with it, it is definitely more powerful than the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for higher impedance gear, just that it heats up and uses more battery and has no volume control. Sound wise, I think the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is a tinge better in clarity/details and is warmer, the ES9280C seems a bit on the brighter side for me but is of better build and braid diameter.

Thanks for your explanation, currently own the Meizu dac (nonpro), dc01 and 9038s. Orderd a sonata hd, and the black 9280.

Personally I love the dc01 combined with the blon 03 and 05 for the Bass.

Read a couple of times in this treat the 9280 pro sounds warm and that's what I'm hoping for, but you say it sounds bright now I'm confused.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,354 of 6,421
Thanks for your explanation, currently own the Meizu dac (nonpro), dc01 and 9038s. Orderd a sonata hd, and the black 9280.

Personally I love the dc01 combined with the blon 03 and 05 for the Bass.

Read a couple of times in this treat the 9280 pro sounds warm and that's what I'm hoping for, but you say it sounds bright now I'm confused.

Most likely has to do with the implementation as stated earlier. I only know about the erilles one and it seems to be on a warmer side from what I've gathered. I've found only one comprehensive review online so far. Seems he really likes the sound of them
Here. It's in russian, so google translate
https://www.ixbt.com/live/digs/eril...y-luchshiy-portativnyy-cap-za-svoi-dengi.html

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,355 of 6,421
Could you do a mini-review for the Erilles DAC? I'm intrigued by it's top placement by you and by its 130dB SNR.
I put in first just analyzing the sound quality, and considering the headphones I have. As I said earlier, it responds better than other dongles in just about everything, but the difference is not night and day. Note that, in this price range, I think the implementation is quite simple. To make an excellent product in all aspects, it is necessary to invest in research and development, and this will be found only in another price range.

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,356 of 6,421
After some time with it, I have to say that nothing else touches the E1DA 9038S. Yes, it's 2.5mm balanced so technically outside this thread's parameters, but the form factor is much the same. It's so clean and powerful, and now you can switch filters on it... Beautiful.

I'm very happy with my combo of 9038S at home and Sonata HD Pro while I'm out and about. $130 between the two of them.

I am curious, though, about the Linlvmei S2. Ivan, creator of E1DA, says it's quite good. And this is a man who knows what he's talking about.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #1,357 of 6,421
My dd hifi TC35B showed up yesterday. Did a quick A/B vs my old Samsung S5 3.5mm output.

Neutral or neutral with a hint of warmth. Better dynamics, control and cleaner sounding. Bass extension also seemed a bit better on my T2 plus (probably due to more power for the DD).

Much happier with this than my old Apple USB-C dongle.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,358 of 6,421
In terms of enjoyment, Apple USB-C dongle doesn't bring the next level of sound. Nor do phones. Does dd hifi TC35B do DSD as ALC5686 does?

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,359 of 6,421
In terms of enjoyment, Apple USB-C dongle doesn't bring the next level of sound. Nor do phones. Does dd hifi TC35B do DSD as ALC5686 does?

No disagreement there. But using the apple dongle on my newer android phone gave worse volume output than my older phones with a 3.5mm out. This just gives me a fairly compact and very solidly built 3.5mm output.

I don't have any dsd format audio files so I can't say.

Edit: downloaded a couple dsd (64) test tracks and it does work on my phone with the HiBy music player.

Did not work with the Fiio player, which did ask for permission to access the TC35B. Though it would play through my phones speakers with this app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200712-193615.png
    Screenshot_20200712-193615.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200712-193409.png
    Screenshot_20200712-193409.png
    929.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #1,361 of 6,421
Good review!

ALC5686 is like the ALC1220 for dongles. Good specs, but I guess its DSD is turned off. On a PC you would be able to determine for sure whether DSD is possible. Android often changes it to PCM without warning you, if the DAC cannot do DSD.

The Apple USB-C dongle with its custom Cirrus Logic CS46L02 limited to 24/48 has good specs for $9. Better sound perhaps than any Realtek? Now your review reveals ALC5686 stands firm.

Perhaps ddTC35 shows us how small a high-spec DAC can get. It doesn't necessarily mean more enjoyable sound which is the ultimate goal taking forever to reach.

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #1,362 of 6,421
I just received the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro in the mail, and I am experiencing some problems using it with my Samsung S20 phone.

When I first plugged it in, I got no sound.

When I unplugged it, I also got no sound from the phone (even with nothing connected to it, just no audio output whatsoever). Also, the apps I was using to listen -- YouTube and YouTube Music -- started acting strange. Like the song would move one second, then stop for a few seconds, then move one more second, then stop again for a few seconds, etc.

So I tried to restart the phone, and it would not restart. It just went black. It finally started back up after I held the power and volume buttons down for about 60 seconds.

I plugged the Sonata back in, and I got sound. But the volume buttons on the Sonata did not work. I could only control the sound from the phone.

Then after a couple of minutes I got the same problem as at first - no sound, and the whole process detailed above occurred all over again.

Any idea what might be the problem, and a solution? I have USB debugging selected on my phone.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,363 of 6,421
I just received the TempoTec Sonata HD Pro in the mail, and I am experiencing some problems using it with my Samsung S20 phone.

When I first plugged it in, I got no sound.

When I unplugged it, I also got no sound from the phone (even with nothing connected to it, just no audio output whatsoever). Also, the apps I was using to listen -- YouTube and YouTube Music -- started acting strange. Like the song would move one second, then stop for a few seconds, then move one more second, then stop again for a few seconds, etc.

So I tried to restart the phone, and it would not restart. It just went black. It finally started back up after I held the power and volume buttons down for about 60 seconds.

I plugged the Sonata back in, and I got sound. But the volume buttons on the Sonata did not work. I could only control the sound from the phone.

Then after a couple of minutes I got the same problem as at first - no sound, and the whole process detailed above occurred all over again.

Any idea what might be the problem, and a solution? I have USB debugging selected on my phone.

I'm not sure what the problem is, per se, but in general, a lot of phones don't want to play nice with USB DACs. My Galaxy A20 works just fine with the Sonata, but I don't use it with YouTube or anything like that. YouTube's audio quality is so low that you're defeating the purpose of the dongle. Unless you listen to some REALLY obscure stuff, I'd suggest trying out TIDAL and USB Audio Player Pro. Tidal has a two or three month free trial, and UAPP is only 8 dollars in the Play store.
By using UAPP, you allow the phone to bypass android audio limitations, and you can stream Tidal through it. Hardware volume control will also work in UAPP.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,364 of 6,421
I'm not sure what the problem is, per se, but in general, a lot of phones don't want to play nice with USB DACs. My Galaxy A20 works just fine with the Sonata, but I don't use it with YouTube or anything like that. YouTube's audio quality is so low that you're defeating the purpose of the dongle. Unless you listen to some REALLY obscure stuff, I'd suggest trying out TIDAL and USB Audio Player Pro. Tidal has a two or three month free trial, and UAPP is only 8 dollars in the Play store.
By using UAPP, you allow the phone to bypass android audio limitations, and you can stream Tidal through it. Hardware volume control will also work in UAPP.

I don't use only YouTube. That was just an example. Audio would not play back from any app / the entire phone.

I do not want to spend $20 a month to get lossless streaming with Tidal.

I am happy with Spotify, YouTube Music, and Bandcamp.

The point I was trying to make was about the phone and the DAC, not the apps.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,365 of 6,421
Sounds like your phone has a problem elsewhere. Reboot the phone again and then plugin the DAC and see if you can repeat it.
As for no hardware volume - that is dependent upon the the ROM, in your case Samsung.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back