USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #827 of 6,471
Phone is in Dev mode, Linux knowledge they have a puinguin logo and a red hat :wink:
So I did some research and it seems you can do that with an app called tinymix but it requires root. If your phone is Qualcomm based and has unlocked bootloader look up for a dedicated thread on xda for how to install twrp, flash magisk and install tinymix.

or this cute little script (also require root/magisk) meant for apple dongle but should work with any.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/apple-usb-c-to-3-5mm-dac-dongle-android-t3917495

I haven't tried it yet. I just got a new phone and have to wait a week to root it (Xiaomi restrictions). so can't help yet if it doesn't work.

I will be on the lookout for what more stuff can be done to unlock full potential of theses dongles without relying on a paid app.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #828 of 6,471
So I did some research and it seems you can do that with an app called tinymix but it requires root. If your phone is Qualcomm based and has unlocked bootloader look up for a dedicated thread on xda for how to install twrp, flash magisk and install tinymix.

or this cute little script (also require root/magisk) meant for apple dongle but should work with any.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/apple-usb-c-to-3-5mm-dac-dongle-android-t3917495

I haven't tried it yet. I just got a new phone and have to wait a week to root it (Xiaomi restrictions). so can't help yet if it doesn't work.

I will be on the lookout for what more stuff can be done to unlock full potential of theses dongles without relying on a paid app.

I'm a bit scared of rooting stuff on a phone things are way to expensive and hold a lot of data :wink: mabey on a free day try it in my old phone (one plus 3)

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #829 of 6,471
Just got the trn V90 today and it sounds great on my Fiio m5, but if I use the dc-01 they become less bassy and warm and way to bright with some sibilance.
Сan't agree to this. I've just compared them right now. For me all the frequencies are suppressed with M5. The soundstage is wider and deeper with DC01. The instrument separation is much better with DC01 too. It's like DC01 is a higher level device compared to M5.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #830 of 6,471
Сan't agree to this. I've just compared them right now. For me all the frequencies are suppressed with M5. The soundstage is wider and deeper with DC01. The instrument separation is much better with DC01 too. It's like DC01 is a higher level device compared to M5.

Agreed that the dc01 is a higher lvl device, no doubt in my mind.

But it is best shown in my experience with dynamic driver (only) iem's. Balanced armature and planar are less changed/improved by the dc01.

In case of the trn V90 i mentioned I guess it just a bad iem that gets more obvious with the dc01.
With bad I mean a little to bright for my taste, apparently the m5 was hiding that.

Tin audio T2 and Blon bl-03 greatly improved on the dc01.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #831 of 6,471
Tin audio T2 and Blon bl-03 greatly improved on the dc01.
I fully agree to this. First I tried them with Ztella and then with DC01. I've mentioned it at 4pda.ru and the users were quite hesitant/sceptical about the changes. But those IEMs really improved the SQ to a huge degree. I put them far aside some time ago but now I am using them every day.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #832 of 6,471
Got my DC01 and it works with my Samsung S9+ (Exynos EMEA version). Using on sensitive IEM such as Fearless S8 Freedom do have very loud hissing.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #834 of 6,471
Oh Dear.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #835 of 6,471
The post man Just came by, feels like Christmas
IMG_20200109_124309.jpg
IMG_20200109_124737.jpg

Darn it need to go to work.......

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #836 of 6,471
The post man Just came by, feels like Christmas

Darn it need to go to work.......

Wow, haha, Christmas came late or very early. I hope you brought it all to work. I'm using my Ztella at work as well.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #837 of 6,471
I got the Ztella as well now and I wanted to share my opinions and experience with it, compared to Meizu Pro 5 (ESS9018) and Meizu Hifi Dac non-pro.
Sound is really good. Still the Meizu Pro 5 seems to have slightly more punch, dynamic and precision. But really it is not much of a difference.

Now compared to the Meizu Hifi Dac (which I like and also found to be nearly as good as Pro 5 except for very high levels):

The Ztella seems more lively and I also heard (like others here) a stronger stereo separation and/or wider stage.

Also to me it seemed there was some additional hall in it and I higher frequencies seemed to be slightly more prominent. Only to a small degree but it seemed to me that I heard e.g. sometime sibilances where there were none with the Meizu. Of course with other tracks that might be an advantage and also it increases the overall liveliness a bit. Bass seems similar to Meizu. Overall the Meizu seemed to me more neutral while the Ztella a little more "fun".
But really, I could only tell a difference between all three in a very quiet environment and with very focused listening.

Physically the cable is more robust but also more stiff than the thinner Meizu cable.
There is a light which indicates the play mode. Might be usefull but I found it quickly rather annoying because it is pretty bright.

Gain/Volume at same level was more or less identical with Meizu non-pro. But I am not 100% sure if the ztella was really running in high gain mode. Will test this later with other equipment.

MQA was running well and sounded well too. I personally could not hear much difference between MQA and normal playback. But probably also because there were not many songs on Tidal available which I listen to usually. I also did not do an a/b test concerning MQA yet.

I will do a longer test next week with the Hd650 and I might report back how well it performs with big headphones.

Up to now I think it is a good device but also rather pricy compared to the Meizu. I am a little bit disappointed that it did not beat the Pro5. I actually was planning to send it into retirement and replace it with Ztella...

PS: Power consumption of Ztella is pretty high and it gets also pretty warm.

PS2: Control buttons on my headsets did not work with ztella. MQA did not work with my (unrooted) Meizu 16th

PS3: Still have 2 places left in my Tidal HIFI family, if anyone is interested just send me a message. It is only about 15€ per year. :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #839 of 6,471
Looks like a lot of fun ahead though.

BTW, your name, phone and address are readable on the packages. May be a privacy concern.

Thnx for notifying me, stupid bit not a big issieu, love people send me stuff or have a coffee and a audio chat :wink:

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #840 of 6,471
I found Ibasso DC01 as one of the best portable audio adapter of 2019. I am using it with my Meze 99 Classics headphones and the new Meze symmetric cable (silver) and it sounds way above it's price category (very close to an AQ Dragonfly Cobalt!).
The only task to be solved is to use the DC01 with my mobile phone and charge the phone at the same time, since the DC01 reduces the battery by app. 13% per hour.
I found a possible solution, the Fiio DK1 dock.

Anyone tried this with a dongle audio adapter? Does it work?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back