USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Oct 21, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #376 of 6,383
Honestly, no. Plenty of dongles on Amazon, but all unknown, on the cheap. Hidizs is known and decent quality. $42 is a good price for a quality dongle. Razer is $24.
Ok, thanks for all your help! Do you know if the razer has call functionality as well? Heard that the hidizs uses quite much battery so interested in other options.

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #377 of 6,383
if just pire good sound, which will you suggest?
The dc01 being balanced would be first choice. I've read the dc02 is a significant step down, so maybe Hidizs s3 after dc01

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #380 of 6,383
I would always recommend the Meizu Dac (non pro, $30) over any Hidizs. My sonata HD II sounds noticeably worse. Additionally, the sonata has been measured a lot worse that what it says on the product site.
getting meizu can be rather confusing, they have a lot of similar name to the model

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #382 of 6,383
Just search "Meizu HiFi" on AliExpress. There are three sellers selling the same model for ~$30. Easy enough, no?
too bad i dont use AE often

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #384 of 6,383
It's an easy site to use. I believe you can do it!!
its not because of ease of use, its because there are a lot of doubtful items that are named similar to the OG, and even priced almost the same

Oct 21, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #385 of 6,383
its not because of ease of use, its because there are a lot of doubtful items that are named similar to the OG, and even priced almost the same
I have not once heard of or seen a fake Meizu USB C DAC. Meizu themselves are, too, not aware of any fakes. Otherwise they'd provide the buyer with a way to check the authenticity.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #389 of 6,383
Thanks a lot. Of course I will wait.
I really appreciate your help.

I tested the DC02 yesterday & today, I used my old oneplus 5t as it has a 3.5mm jack so I could essentially get a more "apples to apples" comparison out of it.

Setup was like this:
I was connected to wifi and my bluetooth was on, but not connected to anything. I treated the phone as a media player, so I didn't use the screen at all, and I just let it run through the same playlist of songs for 5 hours*, with and without the dac, checking on it every hour. My phone was at ~50% volume (which is a little louder than I would listen to myself).
* The playlist is 10 hours long, I ran it in the exact same order for both cases. It consists of a variety of songs, ranging from things with heavy bass, to classical, metal, etc, pretty much a good mix of everything really.
No apps were updated, and nothing was downloaded in the background (music was stored locally too).

- Running the dac at 63 volume (the max volume that I could put into it's android app), and leaving my phone at 50% volume, it used 9% battery per hour.
- Running the audio through the 3.5mm jack on the phone, again at 50% volume, through the same playlist from the beginning (so it went through the same songs in the exact same order), it used about 3%.
=> Which means the dac added about 6% usage to my phone's normal usage.

My phone's battery is a 3300mAh one, but I used a diagnosis app, and it has decayed to 2600, that means the 6% usage of the dac equates to ~160mAh usage per hour.

So, I would say, if your player is 1000mAh rated, you should get about 5-7 hours of usage out of it.
Again, it's apples to oranges, but it seems to me that dc01 uses less power than dc02.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back