USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #46 of 6,418
Let the testing begin!
YThFyWcV7Bu1wqOZd7KQ7Prs9K2NX9bUVN6EuSYwhqHUvyIoyCVZ21luYaKdDuScFolg6pPABMyfdwrFiuop31n16OoYynFe_6xZAE-tb7YG-C36rcWS9zMkG4aPEKrW1DC-FeP_CltDUjA5NsVaVTK1efTMrhpU8lU2ExP5lz-Q-qXJTJe2cSw_KPozE95HE7vWe0v-lWxwzfm45RvC2bhhdu589mAslwdEo5KJ38afFncURBEuYlaAE4m9NJBFHEFPxnybbnYoxw2BgbFy6JjFU4nj249I8nn1JCKp5yAQtSojfy5kqfOYYahqWYTmTFVYe7JGtkPlAMqEjwi-0Hfl5jGOMTLHcappFoeGKsZmRHxRe-RTdY7zeVLTHiCyxcHKrRpX9Pvj_brW9hfvl37KqBQeLke9IlSjcLSM48pm0xr0UZcUPkqWyXMExeoKKzqWqV0zXwXc4JUmUxW_XyrJRAnzd8fgsGHpDBoqOJNhYE5FQIVso3vcLgqNBe_jjG7jPyD8z-0HF8fZgLR0ZFOdoKrO37uhf0dbbbk2b7mPdWfTyJyTUiRLQ_q6pr3LoiOzYmzpv1w2zQ_0E2P3Yfzh8xAAu3BHzm9JUkK7a-ehD7FSnjwOn427w_A30tB_K1JUd7FeNtsDPxTrpyHArK4-e7RXEHybIewYJFfo5XDAFDkMi0DerYL8hXJB-_sxlqdnLMuiYy_qRqbTl5-9YTCCtg=w2142-h1607-no

Lx77meyqgsmcVMXs9

From looking at the external design, I am prefering the MU2Plus to Meizu one. Simple rationale is that in the MU2Plus, the DAC chip is housed in the control unit, and with the 3.5mm connector presumably integrated onboard, so no cabling between amp out and the 3.5mm connector.
However, for the the Meizu, the dac/amp seems to be on the type-c connector itself, and using a tiny (flimsy) cable to the 3.5mm connector. Durability is questionable and who knows what material the cable is comprised of....... It will probably be the major bottle neck to what otherwise could have been a great setup. And not to mention that the MU2Plus has control over the CS43130M's gain, filter .... etc.

Interestingly, I find DC01 has more background noise than either the MU2Plus and Meizu HD. I was just using direct cable to connect (no adapters, which means I used 3.5mm cable for MU2Plus/Meizu, and separate 2.5mm cable to the DC01). And the cables have tested to be ok when connected to ES100 and have no noticeable noise.......

Going to listen to them more with my S10 and Andromeda S and will give a bit more thoughts after.

DC01 + UAPP hires setting, I found no noise for me.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #50 of 6,418
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #52 of 6,418
Jul 11, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #55 of 6,418
Let the testing begin!
YThFyWcV7Bu1wqOZd7KQ7Prs9K2NX9bUVN6EuSYwhqHUvyIoyCVZ21luYaKdDuScFolg6pPABMyfdwrFiuop31n16OoYynFe_6xZAE-tb7YG-C36rcWS9zMkG4aPEKrW1DC-FeP_CltDUjA5NsVaVTK1efTMrhpU8lU2ExP5lz-Q-qXJTJe2cSw_KPozE95HE7vWe0v-lWxwzfm45RvC2bhhdu589mAslwdEo5KJ38afFncURBEuYlaAE4m9NJBFHEFPxnybbnYoxw2BgbFy6JjFU4nj249I8nn1JCKp5yAQtSojfy5kqfOYYahqWYTmTFVYe7JGtkPlAMqEjwi-0Hfl5jGOMTLHcappFoeGKsZmRHxRe-RTdY7zeVLTHiCyxcHKrRpX9Pvj_brW9hfvl37KqBQeLke9IlSjcLSM48pm0xr0UZcUPkqWyXMExeoKKzqWqV0zXwXc4JUmUxW_XyrJRAnzd8fgsGHpDBoqOJNhYE5FQIVso3vcLgqNBe_jjG7jPyD8z-0HF8fZgLR0ZFOdoKrO37uhf0dbbbk2b7mPdWfTyJyTUiRLQ_q6pr3LoiOzYmzpv1w2zQ_0E2P3Yfzh8xAAu3BHzm9JUkK7a-ehD7FSnjwOn427w_A30tB_K1JUd7FeNtsDPxTrpyHArK4-e7RXEHybIewYJFfo5XDAFDkMi0DerYL8hXJB-_sxlqdnLMuiYy_qRqbTl5-9YTCCtg=w2142-h1607-no

Lx77meyqgsmcVMXs9

From looking at the external design, I am prefering the MU2Plus to Meizu one. Simple rationale is that in the MU2Plus, the DAC chip is housed in the control unit, and with the 3.5mm connector presumably integrated onboard, so no cabling between amp out and the 3.5mm connector.
However, for the the Meizu, the dac/amp seems to be on the type-c connector itself, and using a tiny (flimsy) cable to the 3.5mm connector. Durability is questionable and who knows what material the cable is comprised of....... It will probably be the major bottle neck to what otherwise could have been a great setup. And not to mention that the MU2Plus has control over the CS43130M's gain, filter .... etc.

Interestingly, I find DC01 has more background noise than either the MU2Plus and Meizu HD. I was just using direct cable to connect (no adapters, which means I used 3.5mm cable for MU2Plus/Meizu, and separate 2.5mm cable to the DC01). And the cables have tested to be ok when connected to ES100 and have no noticeable noise.......

Going to listen to them more with my S10 and Andromeda S and will give a bit more thoughts after.

Nice write up and comparison. Just to add more input for others searching. I have the DC01 and when using my Oneplus 7 (and my desktop through type c), direct off the 2.5mm output, I don't have any noise at all. On my end the DC01 is dead silent.

I would like to note that I use Neutron (vs UAPP), as the stock gain control (and USB device control), worked better in Neutron (this may be smartphone specific). I prefer the user interface in UAPP though. If you have any noise, I think that may be due to your phone, as on the play store app info, there is a warning that the DC01 has issues with Samsung phones.

One other little quirk, is that the Ibasso DC01 app requests access as a USB Audio device. This will cause an issue with both UAPP and Neutron, which will seek to have control over the USB AUDIO device, when using either app for music playback. To properly use the Ibasso DC01 app, for direct sound control in the background, it has to be the only USB AUDIO access APP running. So if you want to use TIdal, or podcast or video, you have to kill Neutron or UAPP in app info, then use the Ibasso App as the volume control (remembering to set the device volume to max).

Its an odd workaround, but it does improve the volume step control and appears to direct sound through the DC01, vs through the android dac first. This of course means that you can't use the Ibasso APP with UAPP or Neutron. Or at least I have not figured it out yet. Maybe @Paul - iBasso can chime in.

I prefer this device to the spectra X or the dragonfly red. I wish it had MQA, but that's another argument.

Jul 11, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #56 of 6,418
Nice write up and comparison. Just to add more input for others searching. I have the DC01 and when using my Oneplus 7 (and my desktop through type c), direct off the 2.5mm output, I don't have any noise at all. On my end the DC01 is dead silent.

I would like to note that I use Neutron (vs UAPP), as the stock gain control (and USB device control), worked better in Neutron (this may be smartphone specific). I prefer the user interface in UAPP though. If you have any noise, I think that may be due to your phone, as on the play store app info, there is a warning that the DC01 has issues with Samsung phones.

One other little quirk, is that the Ibasso DC01 app requests access as a USB Audio device. This will cause an issue with both UAPP and Neutron, which will seek to have control over the USB AUDIO device, when using either app for music playback. To properly use the Ibasso DC01 app, for direct sound control in the background, it has to be the only USB AUDIO access APP running. So if you want to use TIdal, or podcast or video, you have to kill Neutron or UAPP in app info, then use the Ibasso App as the volume control (remembering to set the device volume to max).

Its an odd workaround, but it does improve the volume step control and appears to direct sound through the DC01, vs through the android dac first. This of course means that you can't use the Ibasso APP with UAPP or Neutron. Or at least I have not figured it out yet. Maybe @Paul - iBasso can chime in.

I prefer this device to the spectra X or the dragonfly red. I wish it had MQA, but that's another argument.

When usb dac attaches to phone, you can select which app you wanna access dac. If you use neutron or UAPP, you can skip permission to dac access.

You might use UAC app when other streaming apps. When you wanna switch, please detach the dac and connect again.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #58 of 6,418
Today I received 3 of the Hidizs Sonata HD and right now I'm testing with my Motorola G7 Power phone and damnnnnnnnnnn... it's more portable than the Audioquest solution and sounds just banging! Word.

I think that I will get more of these...

Going to test with my iSine LX's as well as both HIFIMAN headphones which I own/renting.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #59 of 6,418
I really like the idea of iBasso DC01... and it comes with 2.5mm balanced!

I wonder why they don't implement 4.4mm balanced or dual 3.5mm balanced to this kind of mini DAC?

Do you guys know anything about iBasso DC02? I can't find its info on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back