USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #1,246 of 6,468
thank you very much for your reply .. let me ask for another advice. To unlock all the potential of the dac and bypass the internal dac of the smartphone, do I have to change some settings in the usb menu in developer mode or is there no need? Then, I also wanted to use uapp / tidal (precisely for the Ztella MQA), and also in this case, which parameters of the settings should I modify for an optimal configuration? (like bit perfect and more) thanks again!

May 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,247 of 6,468
thank you very much for your reply .. let me ask for another advice. To unlock all the potential of the dac and bypass the internal dac of the smartphone, do I have to change some settings in the usb menu in developer mode or is there no need? Then, I also wanted to use uapp / tidal (precisely for the Ztella MQA), and also in this case, which parameters of the settings should I modify for an optimal configuration? (like bit perfect and more) thanks again!

Not necessary

May 22, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,248 of 6,468
hardware volume with more than 32 steps and bit direct features cannot be controlled (without rooting) at system level settings in order to work in all apps with audio (youtube, spotify etc...) if you want such control you are stuck using a paying music app such as uapp, neutron etc... so usb dac management sucks on android, bluetooth receiver may be a better option (if you can accept a slight quality loss from bluetooth audio codec compression)

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,249 of 6,468
hardware volume with more than 32 steps and bit direct features cannot be controlled (without rooting) at system level settings in order to work in all apps with audio (youtube, spotify etc...) if you want such control you are stuck using a paying music app such as uapp, neutron etc... so usb dac management sucks on android, bluetooth receiver may be a better option (if you can accept a slight quality loss from bluetooth audio codec compression)
I understand .. So practically you can take full advantage of the qualities of the external DAC, only using a player like UAAP? Consequently, will there be no change in audio reproduction in other applications?

May 22, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #1,250 of 6,468
I understand .. So practically you can take full advantage of the qualities of the external DAC, only using a player like UAAP? Consequently, will there be no change in audio reproduction in other applications?
in all other apps your are forced to 44.1khz/16 bit conversion and will have different volume management ( they use the system "media volume" slider with 32 steps, uapp and neutron add their custom volume slider) try first a free eval version before buying because uapp had a unusable 20 step exponential volume on my meizu dac /sony phone combination( neutron had a better 64 steps linear volume but still not perfect as my meizu dac is capable of 100 steps volume) it is the jungle, volume behavior is weird when you go in and out of your apps (example neutron to youtube back to neutron divided my volume by 5x ratio i have to unplug replug the dac, this is why i recommend a bluetooth external dac if you want to avoid such erratic behaviors )
)

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,251 of 6,468
Well, that was my main reason to choose iBasso DC02 over other dongles. At least you have the control over volume management with their UAC app. Android is terrible with music playback. And that 48kHz resampling is a ridiculous joke. But what annoys me the most is 15 steps of volume. Unfortunately most people really don't care. They hate wires and SQ is not their priority.

May 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,252 of 6,468
You can try out hiby for direct usb audio out. it's free! the ux is not as good as UAPP but it's usable.

Some android os like miui add their own filter that do weird stuff like increase midbass and add distortion. So yeah, android can sound bad in some cases...
BUT with clean audio libraries like the one in ainur narsil mod (look it up), it can be quite decent.

Also guys like Neutron has messed up in the past and they aren't very upfront about it. I managed to dig up a graph that shows treble roll off but the original thread on Neutron forum is hidden. (does anyone knows about this?)

http _i90.photobucket.com_albums_k240_ofey_s_Spectrum.png

In this test aimp sucks at resampling 44.1 to 48 with their audio drivers.

I like to use foss app like vinyl/vanilla/phonograph because they are just front-end for the android libraries. I find it hard to tell if direct usb sounds better. And it seems it is even worse sometimes...

May 22, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,253 of 6,468
You can try out hiby for direct usb audio out. it's free! the ux is not as good as UAPP but it's usable.

Some android os like miui add their own filter that do weird stuff like increase midbass and add distortion. So yeah, android can sound bad in some cases...
BUT with clean audio libraries like the one in ainur narsil mod (look it up), it can be quite decent.

Also guys like Neutron has messed up in the past and they aren't very upfront about it. I managed to dig up a graph that shows treble roll off but the original thread on Neutron forum is hidden. (does anyone knows about this?)

http _i90.photobucket.com_albums_k240_ofey_s_Spectrum.png

In this test aimp sucks at resampling 44.1 to 48 with their audio drivers.

I like to use foss app like vinyl/vanilla/phonograph because they are just front-end for the android libraries. I find it hard to tell if direct usb sounds better. And it seems it is even worse sometimes...
Thanx! However I can't find Hiby player on Android playstore.

May 22, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,255 of 6,468
FiiO Music is a better option in my opinion. I've noticed that HiByMusic tends to tame treble. It can be useful with sibilance though, and I use it in my car because of this.

Also I talked to their support some days ago about the missing of the app in Play Store. They told me they're dealing with something in it and it will be available again soon.

May 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,256 of 6,468
Today I received my Lotoo Paw S1 USB Dac/Amp and so far, it has in all ways exceeded my expectations! Build quality is flawless, sound is far better than any of my other dongles and truly sounds like a TOTL source. Menu settings are easily accomplished using the 3 buttons on the side and clearly visible on the small screen. There are many DSP settings available and all sound quite realistic with no spikes or other artifacts. It should be a simple matter to find a match for any genre or headphone. Given the 2 gain settings, it has so far handled all my phones and IEM's with aplomb. I daresay that the sound quality from my Android phone/S1 combo is the equal of my desktop setup!

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,258 of 6,468
Today I received my Lotoo Paw S1 USB Dac/Amp and so far, it has in all ways exceeded my expectations! Build quality is flawless, sound is far better than any of my other dongles and truly sounds like a TOTL source. Menu settings are easily accomplished using the 3 buttons on the side and clearly visible on the small screen. There are many DSP settings available and all sound quite realistic with no spikes or other artifacts. It should be a simple matter to find a match for any genre or headphone. Given the 2 gain settings, it has so far handled all my phones and IEM's with aplomb. I daresay that the sound quality from my Android phone/S1 combo is the equal of my desktop setup!

Does the S1 only have preset DSP or can bass/treble be adjusted independently?

May 22, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,259 of 6,468
Only preset choices, however there is both a bass boost and treble boost preset both of which sound very natural. Perhaps independent settings will be added in a future firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back