USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #736 of 6,476
awesome. look forward to hearing your impressions. I also own the 9038S. And compared to the 9038S, the meizu is actually warm in comparison. But the 9038S is notoriously cold and analytical. Not sure I'd want to go warmer than the meizu. The meizu is almost perfect for me, but I do notice that the 9038S is more open and airy where the meizu feels more closed in. So curious how you think of the soundstage between the two.

I was advies to get a 9038s too but was afraid it will drain my battery to fast. I'll pay attention to the sound stage unfortunately I don't have full size headphones supporting balanced cables, best I can do is a monoprice m300 comparison

Dec 21, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #738 of 6,476
awesome. look forward to hearing your impressions. I also own the 9038S. And compared to the 9038S, the meizu is actually warm in comparison. But the 9038S is notoriously cold and analytical. Not sure I'd want to go warmer than the meizu. The meizu is almost perfect for me, but I do notice that the 9038S is more open and airy where the meizu feels more closed in. So curious how you think of the soundstage between the two.

is your meizu the pro or normal version?

Dec 22, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #740 of 6,476
I just got the Meizu Hifi Dac (standard).
Spoiler: It is just totally insane how good this DAC sounds for just about 20€.

I compared it with the Meizu 16th (845's aqustic dac and cirrus logic amp) and Meizu Pro 5 (ESS 9018). I was expecting a sound quality somewhere between both but honestly it is as good as the Pro 5. I did several A/B tests and it is very difficult to explain the differences because the sound signature is very similar.

I read several times that the dongle is supposed to have a "neutral" tuning. I wouldn't say that this is wrong, but it is definitely far from being boring. Bass is powerful and precise. High dynamic. Very detailed.

Also I did not notice any issues concerning above mentioned "intereferences" and in my case I did not notice any issues with bit perfect playback (although it wasn't important to me).

I'm just wondering if Meizu is destroying the whole DAC market right now ^^

Will continue listening and might give an update in a few days.

Regards!
Jan

Edit: just a quick note: I also just compared it also attached to an external amp. At least with full volume the sound of the dongle feels less precise and powerfull compared to Pro 5. Still very good but it seems when using as line out at full volume it just loses a little bit of power.

This may be the wrong thread for this question? But I need a micro USB to 3.5mm DAC for my Galaxy S7 phone, not USB-C. Is there a DAC/AMP dongle that has the equivalent quality of the Meizu Hifi Dac for a S7 phone?

Dec 22, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #742 of 6,476
Dec 22, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #744 of 6,476
I see in your signature that you also have Fiio BTR3. I consider buying it or meizu hifi dac pro.
How would you compare the sound coming from these two devices?
I don't have the Meizu, therefore I can not compare

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #745 of 6,476
Dec 22, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #747 of 6,476
Oh I see, but how would you compare BGVP T01 and Fiio BTR3 sound quality?
The BGVP is more neutral sounding. I use the BTR3 when I'm mobile (public transport, walking etc) and the BGVP for stuff like films and office listening.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #748 of 6,476
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #749 of 6,476

Users who are viewing this thread

Back