USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Dec 15, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #676 of 6,414
I got the Meizu Hifi Dac Pro dongle, and although the sound quality is very good (and it is much louder with my Fiio FA7 than the Sony NW-A105) I find it is very susceptible to electric interference. I can hear it pick up on the WIFI and GSM signal all the time. Also the cable is very thin, I am not sure how durable this is.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #677 of 6,414
Let me re-phrase my question (your answer might stay the same :)):
I am looking for a USB-C DAC with 3.5mm connector, to be used with my Samsung tablet and easy to drive headphones (Sennheiser HD380).
I am going to use it for streaming Netflix / Hulu movies and TV shows, so I care more about meaty bass and full body sound, than "audiophile approved" linear / neutral sound signature!
Clear dialogue would be nice, too (i.e. no recessed mids I guess).

So, bearing that in mind, which of the following should I go for?
Meizu "standard"
Meizu Pro
iBasso DC02
something else?

Thanks!

Something with a eq so you can tune it to your liking. But if you like the sound/warmth of your headphone all will do for streaming (the biggest loss is in the stream anyways)

Currently i use a fiio M5 for this purpose as it can be used wireless which can be handy.

I have heard the shanling m0 sounds similar but it has an costum eq option so you can boost the Bas to your liking

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #678 of 6,414
i just got a DC02 and im really liking it so far, in fact i gotta relisten to most of my iems 'cause i realized that this is a way better way to judge a pair that the badly peaky builtin 3.5 port on my laptop, which is where i do mist of my critical listening.

the DC02 works perfectly fine on my samsung galaxy s10e despite people saying it doesn't work at all on new samsung phones. one thing though, hile it works great on my dell laptop with the included usb A- usb C adapter, it's in and out all the time on the built in usb C/thunderbolt port. has anyone else encountered anything like this? do i just have to assume that the port (which i've never had anything else to use with before) is broken? the weird thing is that windows doesn't detect it as getting removed, the sound just cuts out and then cuts back in.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #679 of 6,414
Waiting really impatient on my Meizu dac and dc01....... Can't those plains fly any faster please and a helicopter transport to my door would be nice :wink:

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #681 of 6,414
Does anyone know if the IBasso DC01 is worth it, I couldn't find any promising reviews for it, I'm looking to replace it with Fiio Q1 mkii as my on the go dac, any suggestions please.

For me it is definitely worth it. The sound quality is great, it has balanced output, 384Khz and DSD256 support. If you intent to use it on phones with a low impedance and high sensitivity, you could experience some background hiss. I have none at all with my ****, but do hear it with my KZ and CCA earphones. It is not as small as some other solutions, but still pretty small, gets a bit warm, but not hot and doesn't consume a lot of power. The wire is good quality and I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #682 of 6,414
For me it is definitely worth it. The sound quality is great, it has balanced output, 384Khz and DSD256 support. If you intent to use it on phones with a low impedance and high sensitivity, you could experience some background hiss. I have none at all with my ****, but do hear it with my KZ and CCA earphones. It is not as small as some other solutions, but still pretty small, gets a bit warm, but not hot and doesn't consume a lot of power. The wire is good quality and I don't expect it to fail any time soon.

Thank you so much.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #683 of 6,414
Does anyone know if the IBasso DC01 is worth it, I couldn't find any promising reviews for it, I'm looking to replace it with Fiio Q1 mkii as my on the go dac, any suggestions please.
If you fancy having Sound Quality on par with the Fiio Q5 + THX module ($500) for $70-100 and don't mind some quirks, then definitely get the 9038S ($70, no DSD, only 24/192) or the 9038D ($100, DSD256, 32/384, available in a few weeks).
A Discord friend compared the DC01 to the 9038S and said that you would want to throw the iBasso away as soon as you hear the 9038S.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #684 of 6,414
If you fancy having Sound Quality on par with the Fiio Q5 + THX module ($500) for $70-100 and don't mind some quirks, then definitely get the 9038S ($70, no DSD, only 24/192) or the 9038D ($100, DSD256, 32/384, available in a few weeks).
A Discord friend compared the DC01 to the 9038S and said that you would want to throw the iBasso away as soon as you hear the 9038S.

My budget is really tight tho and I won't get it in India without paying extra for customs maybe, but I will consider it if it's really worth the extra.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #687 of 6,414

Ditto... :)

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #690 of 6,414
The 9038S lacks DSD and 32/384 support.
Annoyingly, it can pick up EMI noise.
It needs a fair amount of power (my 6T can power it for exactly 11hrs with WiFi, Cellular, and the screen off).
But in exchange you get amazing SQ with supreme level of detail.
The choice is yours..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back