USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #6,406 of 6,456
4.4mm balanced requires different circuit and physically larger, so that would be good for another DAC model which would target higher output level, balanced output (maybe balanced + 3.5mm single-ended combined). Such DAC will drain more power from mobile device for sure and thus will be less compatible, less portable, less wearable, drain mobile device's battery faster. Therefore DAC V1 was created as basement on top of which other devices may come, like you mentioned.
That is indeed a good thought out plan, just like Neutron Player (happy customer). Wish you all the success and shall await the new balanced DAC V2

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #6,407 of 6,456
Apparently, Hiby FC6 has been discontinued. Spring sale was the clearance sale. HiFiGo took my order but wasn't able to fulfill it so I swapped it for Questyle m12i. I hope I won't regret it. Other retailers as Volkchoi still have it but much closer to the full price (260 USD).

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #6,409 of 6,456
I am sure this time will come :wink:

A well designed single-ended DAC with all of these included features is a good fit for use with a phone, so I appreciate the effort. Will there be iOS support for the app?

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #6,411 of 6,456
Did you mean app (which one) or device?

I meant an app for iOS to configure the DAC V1. I assumed the DAC would work with Apple devices.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #6,412 of 6,456
I meant an app for iOS to configure the DAC V1. I assumed the DAC would work with Apple devices.

Apple does not provide API for direct access to USB devices on iOS devices, so currently it is not possible. For example on Android the NConfigurator will be built into Neutron Music Player app because it already has all necessary means to access USB device directly. On Apple, if you own Mac then NConfigurator is available for macOS (can be downloaded from Neutron HiFi web site from DAC V1's Details page: http://neutronhifi.com/devices/dac/v1/details, scroll to Downloads / NConfigurator). If Apple provides API for the direct communication with USB devices in the future then Neutron Player on iOS will get Direct USB Access option available along with NConfigurator's functionality. So, keeping an eye on this mater.

As to DAC V1 and iOS device: It is supported out of the box on all new iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) with USB-C port which replaced Apple Lightning port but on older models with Apple Lightning port you will need to use Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. Apple is slowly changing to USB-C, so making Apple MFi device is overkill now.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #6,413 of 6,456
Apple does not provide API for direct access to USB devices on iOS devices, so currently it is not possible. For example on Android the NConfigurator will be built into Neutron Music Player app because it already has all necessary means to access USB device directly. On Apple, if you own Mac then NConfigurator is available for macOS (can be downloaded from Neutron HiFi web site from DAC V1's Details page: http://neutronhifi.com/devices/dac/v1/details, scroll to Downloads / NConfigurator). If Apple provides API for the direct communication with USB devices in the future then Neutron Player on iOS will get Direct USB Access option available along with NConfigurator's functionality. So, keeping an eye on this mater.

As to DAC V1 and iOS device: It is supported out of the box on all new iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) with USB-C port which replaced Apple Lightning port but on older models with Apple Lightning port you will need to use Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. Apple is slowly changing to USB-C, so making Apple MFi device is overkill now.

Understood. The DSP setting are saved on the device, correct? So if I set it up on MacOS, the DSP settings work on iOS?

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #6,416 of 6,456
Just a PSA to anyone considering buying Colorfly's CDA-M1P, don't leave it connected to your device with music paused for more than a couple of minutes. I left mine that way for maybe 5-10 minutes and when I came back and pressed play I heard a horrible screech that sounded like a modern fire alarm and was just as loud if not louder. I managed to unplug my earbuds from it pretty quickly and thankfully it doesn't seem to have killed my earbuds but I wouldn't connect anything you care about to it until you've made sure yours doesn't have this issue. As much as I like the sound signature of the M1P it's being returned as I don't want to risk any of my earbuds or make my tinnitus worse than it already is. Any suggestions for a DAC that has a similar sound signature with a better design and tighter quality control?

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #6,418 of 6,456
That's unfortunate to hear. I'm considering buying one but you're not the first one or the first kind of issue with it...
It's not great to hear that I'm not the only one who's experience problems, are there any other major issues people have had with the M1P? I tried searching to see if anyone else had this issue or if it was a one-off but Head-Fi's search isn't that great.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #6,419 of 6,456
Just a PSA to anyone considering buying Colorfly's CDA-M1P, don't leave it connected to your device with music paused for more than a couple of minutes. I left mine that way for maybe 5-10 minutes and when I came back and pressed play I heard a horrible screech that sounded like a modern fire alarm and was just as loud if not louder. I managed to unplug my earbuds from it pretty quickly and thankfully it doesn't seem to have killed my earbuds but I wouldn't connect anything you care about to it until you've made sure yours doesn't have this issue. As much as I like the sound signature of the M1P it's being returned as I don't want to risk any of my earbuds or make my tinnitus worse than it already is. Any suggestions for a DAC that has a similar sound signature with a better design and tighter quality control?
I do not have this issue. I paused music for 7 mins, using UAPP as the music app.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #6,420 of 6,456
I do not have this issue. I paused music for 7 mins, using UAPP as the music app.
That's good to hear, I don't know the exact sequence of events that caused this just writing what I can remember leading up to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back