USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #6,391 of 6,431
Thanks for the recommendation I didn't know about that!

So can HD600 be improved a bit by having bigger soundstage and a bit more sub bass with the kit?

As of your personal taste which one dongle do you prefer from the above two dongles? And overall.

Thanks
More than anything it allows you to adjust the overall tone of the headphones and perfectly adjust the amount of bass you want to express. In my case I found the HD6XX too full of bass and I wanted something closer to your HD600 (which I can get by using the completely closed sponge) even if I prefer the one immediately before with the "3" symbol, while in your case you might want the It's the exact opposite and has a greater presence of bass. You have 4 different types of sponge, the denser one gives you a sound similar to that of an HD600... while the more open one gives you a much warmer and bass-rich sound. If you don't put any sponges you will have two subwoofers attached to your ears...lol

I certainly prefer the TP50, much more versatile and better built as well as having a more convincing and editable sound (filters).

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #6,392 of 6,431
The TP50 and the DC04 Pro share the same chip (essentially) and the same output stage (same opamps). In what way do they sound significantly different with all those major similarities ?
If anything one of them should have some extra mojo it should be the DC04 Pro as it goes through the ibasso FPGA.
But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the TP50 sounds better to me. I'd say the DC04Pro sounds a bit congested in comparison. The TP50 is more resolving and dynamic in my experience.

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #6,393 of 6,431
There has been occasional discussion here about USB-C hubs that allow the use of a power bank for better dongle performance and less source batter drain. With my iPad, I've found that this Maxonar hub does the job for me. This Aceele hub was mentioned a while ago, but I can't get the same result with it. This is the power bank I use.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #6,394 of 6,431
But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the TP50 sounds better to me. I'd say the DC04Pro sounds a bit congested in comparison. The TP50 is more resolving and dynamic in my experience.
I wish I could hear the TP50. Andy preferred it too. Is it crispy or zippy at all ? Have you tried it up against the Yuki ?
As soon as I buy it the TP50 Pro will be released 😁

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #6,395 of 6,431
There has been occasional discussion here about USB-C hubs that allow the use of a power bank for better dongle performance and less source batter drain. With my iPad, I've found that this Maxonar hub does the job for me. This Aceele hub was mentioned a while ago, but I can't get the same result with it. This is the power bank I use.
I have two Aceele hubs and with them I use this powerbank which is equipped with a chip for recognizing small devices and which therefore checks that their power supply is not excessive (it is mentioned in the characteristics). Never had any problems.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07YPS5JC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #6,396 of 6,431
Don't know what to expect from it, but the folks behind the Neutron audio player have just released a dongle.

Neutron Hifi DAC V1
www.neutronhifi.com

It uses an ESS chip and only has a 3.5mm out, but looks to have a fairly extensive amount of DSP, PEQ, etc...

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #6,397 of 6,431
I wish I could hear the TP50. Andy preferred it too. Is it crispy or zippy at all ? Have you tried it up against the Yuki ?
As soon as I buy it the TP50 Pro will be released 😁
Same. It's only logical at this point.
TP20 > TP20 Pro
Tp50 > TP50 Pro when?

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #6,398 of 6,431
Any expert recommendations on a short right-angle USB-C => USB-C cable? I have the iFi version but the connector is too large for my phone case cutout.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #6,399 of 6,431
Any expert recommendations on a short right-angle USB-C => USB-C cable? I have the iFi version but the connector is too large for my phone case cutout.
Tc05 L shaped version
Screenshot_20240419_181418_AliExpress.jpg

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #6,400 of 6,431
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #6,401 of 6,431
It uses an ESS chip and only has a 3.5mm out, but looks to have a fairly extensive amount of DSP, PEQ, etc...

DSP functionality is not final and can be expanded depending on user wishes (if they can be supported by hardware of course), so at the moment it is initial state of DSP functionality which can be changed.

One of ideas is to offer possibility to design and upload own Oversampling Filter, so you could have your own unique sound image. If there are other ideas, proposals you can always forward them via the contact form of neutronhifi.com web site and they will go straight to the developer.

As to 3.5mm - yes, DAC V1 supports standard 3.5mm single-ended output but it was designed to be very portable and compatible with virtually all devices (for example Apple and Samsung devices may block power-hungry USB DACs), as a starting point.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #6,402 of 6,431
DSP functionality is not final and can be expanded depending on user wishes (if they can be supported by hardware of course), so at the moment it is initial state of DSP functionality which can be changed.

One of ideas is to offer possibility to design and upload own Oversampling Filter, so you could have your own unique sound image. If there are other ideas, proposals you can always forward them via the contact form of neutronhifi.com web site and they will go straight to the developer.

As to 3.5mm - yes, DAC V1 supports standard 3.5mm single-ended output but it was designed to be very portable and compatible with virtually all devices (for example Apple and Samsung devices may block power-hungry USB DACs), as a starting point.
A step in the right direction however 4.4mm implementation would have made it an instabuy for many.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #6,403 of 6,431
Has anyone compared epz tp50 with M1P, M12i and Auni Yuki?

I see from Andy reviews that seems to be the best for the price as with its filter it can has the analog sound of a FC6 almost or a most hi-fi sound such as DC04 PRO.

Is that right?

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #6,404 of 6,431
Has anyone compared epz tp50 with M1P, M12i and Auni Yuki?

I see from Andy reviews that seems to be the best for the price as with its filter it can has the analog sound of a FC6 almost or a most hi-fi sound such as DC04 PRO.

Is that right?

Haven't tried M1P or M12i, but EPZ TP50 is a much better value dongle than the Yuki.

The TP50 has a smaller soundstage, but superior micro-detailing and imaging. In terms of power output, the TP50 pushes out 240 mW on the 4.4 mm port, which is better than 160 mW of the Yuki.

The TP50 has an LED screen and DAC filters and other settings to play with, so UI wise it is more polished than the Yuki, which doesn't have these.

Yuki also has some weird placement of the volume buttons behind the dongle, it is very unergonomic and difficult to use on the go.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #6,405 of 6,431
A step in the right direction however 4.4mm implementation would have made it an instabuy for many.

4.4mm balanced requires different circuit and physically larger, so that would be good for another DAC model which would target higher output level, balanced output (maybe balanced + 3.5mm single-ended combined). Such DAC will drain more power from mobile device for sure and thus will be less compatible, less portable, less wearable, drain mobile device's battery faster. Therefore DAC V1 was created as basement on top of which other devices may come, like you mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back