USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #6,122 of 6,519
Hello,

Is there any budget hub so as to connect dongle to pc? Does it worth to try or will make no difference?

Also any budget usb c to usb c cable for the connection too?
With this and a power bank to connect to the USB type C located at the bottom you are good to go and keep the dongle away from interference from the mains supply:

https://www.amazon.it/Aceele-Sdoppi...FUPLHH&qid=1708899428&s=merchant-items&sr=1-4

hub5.jpg

A great cheap dongle cable is the Shanling L3 (Neotech Pure Silver)

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005..._main.137.68f43696CVWsQH&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #6,123 of 6,519
I read about problems with the Type C connector... but I didn't understand if the problem concerns the connector itself or the cable which they define as poor and which I wouldn't use anyway because I have a cable dedicated to dongles which is certainly better and I use it with all of them . And I couldn't find anywhere the maximum output power in mw for the 3.5mm and especially for the 4.4mm, do you know anything about it?
I haven't had any problems with the connector on mine. Also, I thought the cables were good quality! The connection between cable and dongle is tight too, seems like it will last the distance and not accidentally disconnect on the go.

For the power, all I've been able to find is the specs on the A&K website with 2 Vrms on the unbalanced and 3 Vrms on the balanced.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #6,124 of 6,519
I haven't had any problems with the connector on mine. Also, I thought the cables were good quality! The connection between cable and dongle is tight too, seems like it will last the distance and not accidentally disconnect on the go.

For the power, all I've been able to find is the specs on the A&K website with 2 Vrms on the unbalanced and 3 Vrms on the balanced.
Just ordered, just hoping it has some of the Astell & Kern sound I've never heard... of course I don't expect it to be on the level of their high end daps... but let's see... I was too curious to resist.

:darthsmile:

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #6,125 of 6,519
Just ordered, just hoping it has some of the Astell & Kern sound I've never heard... of course I don't expect it to be on the level of their high end daps... but let's see... I was too curious to resist.

:darthsmile:
So you’ve never heard an A&K product before? I thought the HC2 and HC3 were good dongles too, I might try to find an HC3 second hand to refresh my memory and do a direct comparison.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #6,126 of 6,519
So you’ve never heard an A&K product before? I thought the HC2 and HC3 were good dongles too, I might try to find an HC3 second hand to refresh my memory and do a direct comparison.
I had only once thought about buying an A&K back in the days of the AK380, but then I got the Onkyo DPX-1 for obvious (economic) reasons. From then on, the A&K TOTL daps reached really high prices, pushing the idea of owning one even further away from me. To tell the truth, the lack of andorid also contributed to the choice, but now finally, I will be able to listen to my first A&K.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #6,128 of 6,519
Any suggestions for a DAC for an Honor phone? Thanks a bunch!
Sorry but what does the brand of the phone have to do with the type of dongle you want to buy? More than anything you should tell us if you like more of an analogue and musical sound or more of a hifi and revealing sound... and if anything the budget available.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #6,129 of 6,519
Sorry but what does the brand of the phone have to do with the type of dongle you want to buy? More than anything you should tell us if you like more of an analogue and musical sound or more of a hifi and revealing sound... and if anything the budget available.
It's Honor X9B, was reading latest Honor phones don't work with USB DACs. Anyhoo, after playing around in developer options I got it to work with Sonata HD but sound is a tad harsh and lacks emotion compared to when I use it with my laptop. So maybe this phone is not a good transport?

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #6,130 of 6,519
It's Honor X9B, was reading latest Honor phones don't work with USB DACs. Anyhoo, after playing around in developer options I got it to work with Sonata HD but sound is a tad harsh and lacks emotion compared to when I use it with my laptop. So maybe this phone is not a good transport?
It all depends on the processor not the brand of the phone, for example phones equipped with Snapdragon processor have no problems. To understand more you should go to the UAPP website which in the technical notes explains in detail which processors could represent a problem with audio playback on Android.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #6,131 of 6,519
It all depends on the processor not the brand of the phone, for example phones equipped with Snapdragon processor have no problems. To understand more you should go to the UAPP website which in the technical notes explains in detail which processors could represent a problem with audio playback on Android.
It has Snapdragon 6. The phone speaker sounds much better than Sonata HD. Guess I'll try some different dongles.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #6,132 of 6,519
We should start a new thread flagging phones/device models that Head-fiers should be mindful of..

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #6,133 of 6,519
It has Snapdragon 6. The phone speaker sounds much better than Sonata HD. Guess I'll try some different dongles.
So let's go back to the first two questions... what sound would you prefer analogue - hifi - or a bit of both? What amount were you thinking of spending? And I add a third with which iems does the Sonata HD sound worse than the phone speaker?

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #6,134 of 6,519
1) DC-Elite - whatever sounds best
2) FC6 - the most detailed of the musical ones
3) RU7 - for the same reasons as the first two but full of features
Also, FC6 seems to be the only dongle option left for me to try, as 1/dc elite is too expensive 2/ru7 has too many clicky noise which is why i sold it and 3/ Does fc6 stage width bother you compared to the ru7?

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #6,135 of 6,519
Also, FC6 seems to be the only dongle option left for me to try, as 1/dc elite is too expensive 2/ru7 has too many clicky noise which is why i sold it and 3/ Does fc6 stage width bother you compared to the ru7?
If you already have the RU7 I see no point in getting another dongle with the same musical signature... if instead you want to try something that is very close to a DC-Elite, if I were you I would take a look at the DC06PRO (huge stage and industrial quantities of details ) which I'm told is a really good dongle but it won't empty your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back