USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #6,106 of 6,504
Here's a review of the Aune Yuki dongle: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aune-yuki.26866/reviews#review-33038

Yuki_9.jpg

Pros:
Portable and compact
Elegant and well constructed
Independent volume control, finely tuned steps
Decent power on tap, with single-ended and balanced outputs, with high and low gain settings
No hiss with sensitive IEMs
Good soundstage and imaging
Natural timbre
Has UAC 1.0 mode for gaming devices
Gets slightly warm during usage but not hot
No "pop" sound when disconnecting transducers

Cons:
Volume buttons are located in an awkward position
No EQ, DAC filter or app options
No LED screen
Can't drive very demanding transducers (some rival dongles may output more power)
Not the most resolving dongle at this price range

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #6,108 of 6,504
Looking to get something to run 3.5 only for my blessing 3 looking at
PD4 Plus
Moondrop Dawn Pro
Fiio KA11
JM60

Or something in that price range, what would you guys reccomend?
I would mention: Shanling UA1 Plus
(have Fiio and had Moondrop .... personally Shanling had better projection / space and balance throughout the whole frequency range)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #6,109 of 6,504
PulWtop - Lotoo PAW S2 (line out) - RA2BFE - PULA PA02
You have no idea what this synergy is... just one word to describe it: Music

PawPula.jpg
Inspired by your positive results i got something a little different to use with Shanling UA3 and H2 and DC04 Pro

IMG_20240220_135637.jpg

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #6,110 of 6,504
Inspired by your positive results i got something a little different to use with Shanling UA3 and H2 and DC04 Pro

IMG_20240220_135637.jpg

...and I don't think the result is disappointing you... :wink:

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #6,111 of 6,504
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,113 of 6,504
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #6,116 of 6,504
I was looking for news on the Astell & Kern HC4... but it's as if this dongle had never been released. No reviews, no one has bought it and tried it and no one talks about it... despite it being from a prestigious brand and at an affordable cost... strange...

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #6,117 of 6,504
No specific comment except they all look like generic Realtek / KTmicro / Other? integrated DAC/Amp dongles… The key missing information is what chip they use…
Doesn’t mean they’re bad, but more a lottery…But at that cost… :ksc75smile:

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #6,119 of 6,504
I was looking for news on the Astell & Kern HC4... but it's as if this dongle had never been released. No reviews, no one has bought it and tried it and no one talks about it... despite it being from a prestigious brand and at an affordable cost... strange...
I have one, been listening for a few weeks although still haven’t clocked up that many hours yet.

The only reviews I’ve seen have been in MajorHifi:
https://majorhifi.com/astell-kern-hc4-review/
https://majorhifi.com/astell-kern-ak-hc4-vs-questyle-m15-comparison-review/

My thoughts largely agree with their impressions. Nice soundstage, very detailed, definitely has a touch of that AKM Velvet Sound style - slight smoothness throughout the spectrum with perhaps a smidge of bass emphasis. Pity I no longer have the HC3 to compare it to, which was one of my favorite A&K dongles so far. The DAR switch does alter the sound somewhat, a little smoother with blacker background, but does feel a bit more “processed” sounding at times.

One interesting feature is the treble. I remember seeing a review where the reviewer described the sound of the device they were testing as like a crisp winter morning, and that’s how I feel about the treble of the HC4: sharp and fresh, although not so much it’s harsh. There’s either a bit more treble than some of my other gear (Chronos, Mojo) or the way the treble is presented on the HC4 draws my attention in more.

I haven’t been able to test the 4.4mm output yet, just the 3.5mm. All in all it’s good and worth giving a try. I’m also stumped as to why there’s so little interest in it: it’s the first A&K dongle with single-ended and balanced outputs and has a detachable cable too, you’d think there would be more enthusiasm around.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #6,120 of 6,504
I have one, been listening for a few weeks although still haven’t clocked up that many hours yet.

The only reviews I’ve seen have been in MajorHifi:
https://majorhifi.com/astell-kern-hc4-review/
https://majorhifi.com/astell-kern-ak-hc4-vs-questyle-m15-comparison-review/

My thoughts largely agree with their impressions. Nice soundstage, very detailed, definitely has a touch of that AKM Velvet Sound style - slight smoothness throughout the spectrum with perhaps a smidge of bass emphasis. Pity I no longer have the HC3 to compare it to, which was one of my favorite A&K dongles so far. The DAR switch does alter the sound somewhat, a little smoother with blacker background, but does feel a bit more “processed” sounding at times.

One interesting feature is the treble. I remember seeing a review where the reviewer described the sound of the device they were testing as like a crisp winter morning, and that’s how I feel about the treble of the HC4: sharp and fresh, although not so much it’s harsh. There’s either a bit more treble than some of my other gear (Chronos, Mojo) or the way the treble is presented on the HC4 draws my attention in more.

I haven’t been able to test the 4.4mm output yet, just the 3.5mm. All in all it’s good and worth giving a try. I’m also stumped as to why there’s so little interest in it: it’s the first A&K dongle with single-ended and balanced outputs and has a detachable cable too, you’d think there would be more enthusiasm around.
I read about problems with the Type C connector... but I didn't understand if the problem concerns the connector itself or the cable which they define as poor and which I wouldn't use anyway because I have a cable dedicated to dongles which is certainly better and I use it with all of them . And I couldn't find anywhere the maximum output power in mw for the 3.5mm and especially for the 4.4mm, do you know anything about it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back