USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 29, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #2,461 of 6,504
I don't have the JCAlly model but considering how things go in China, JCAlly might be OEM for VE. So they might leverage the same tech but will have some adjustments as per VE's requirements.

Well Sonata costs twice as much if I'm looking for something in ultra budget category then I'd pick it over Sonata HD, for the matter I actually did when I purchased Odyssey HD😄. For $10, it gives a clean sound and is very transparent. Enough to drive IEMs via phone. More than the chip, it is about how they've tuned that chip. There are quite a few examples of how companies use audiophile chips and still create a mediocre product. Most PC manufacturers don't even tune the DAC. For what it costs, VE has done a good job with it.
Thanks for the recommendation. How about the Sonata Hd ii?

May 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,462 of 6,504
Thanks for the recommendation. How about the Sonata Hd ii?
Sadly I don't have HD II but, the members on this thread have shared mostly positive impressions and recommend it as the best offering under $50. So, I guess they are good. I mean if you have some spare cash you can get both and see what suits you more. Total cost of both products will be ~$35.

May 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,463 of 6,504
Hello,
I've bought the Soundmagic A30 about 1 month ago. After using the correct settings it was really good until it breaks.
Now the sound is distorded/twisted and to listen normally I have to turn the cable to find the good angle.
The worst part is that the seller asks me to send it back which would cost me 28 euros (and probably more with the custom fees).
It's a terrible experience, my first dac and probably last...

May 29, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #2,465 of 6,504
Sadly I don't have HD II but, the members on this thread have shared mostly positive impressions and recommend it as the best offering under $50. So, I guess they are good. I mean if you have some spare cash you can get both and see what suits you more. Total cost of both products will be ~$35.
It's the HD Pro which is recommended a lot, I also have one and it's great. HD II is a new product based on sabre 9270

May 30, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,466 of 6,504
It's the HD Pro which is recommended a lot, I also have one and it's great. HD II is a new product based on sabre 9270
Ahh sorry, my bad! Mixed up between the two models. Apologies once again.

May 30, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,467 of 6,504
Ahh sorry, my bad! Mixed up between the two models. Apologies once again.
No problem, there are so many models with similar names, it's easy to mix up. :) HD II is the updated version of HD, so it's positioned below the HD Pro. There are a couple of new dacs using this chipset (es9270) like the Hiby FC1, it would be nice to test them against each other.

Btw, I'd be interested in a comparison between the HD II (ES9270) and the "Lusya" ES9018K2M. I have the Lusya as well and really like it's smooth airy sound. It's not as good as the HD Pro of course, but it's gentler, more relaxed and forgiving so sometimes I prefer it"s signature for casual listening.

May 30, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,468 of 6,504
Hi guys, great thread with a lot of very useful informations.

What could you currently recommend if I want to use a USB-C dongle as pure line-out function to feed a portable amp?

I'm searching for a single ended USB-C dongle to relplace my Chord Mojo. I'm looking for a USB-C dongle which is able to get 3 Vrms (or more) as line-out output power at single ended (like the Mojo which can deliver more at single ended).

I know there are some USB-C dongles with balanced output with 4 Vrms, but I'm looking for a single ended device. Is such a device existing?

Thanks

May 30, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,469 of 6,504
No problem, there are so many models with similar names, it's easy to mix up. :) HD II is the updated version of HD, so it's positioned below the HD Pro. There are a couple of new dacs using this chipset (es9270) like the Hiby FC1, it would be nice to test them against each other.

Btw, I'd be interested in a comparison between the HD II (ES9270) and the "Lusya" ES9018K2M. I have the Lusya as well and really like it's smooth airy sound. It's not as good as the HD Pro of course, but it's gentler, more relaxed and forgiving so sometimes I prefer it"s signature for casual listening.

I have the HD II and the Lusya model but they are aimed a bit differently. Lusya is not aimed at mobile use and is best used with a PC / laptop.

May 30, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,470 of 6,504
I have the HD II and the Lusya model but they are aimed a bit differently. Lusya is not aimed at mobile use and is best used with a PC / laptop.
Yes I know of course, I use my lusya with my PC, it doesn't even work on android. I guess the Lusya is more powerful because it has separate amplifier and bigger power consumption. But still, have you compared them with ordinary headphones/earbuds that both should sufficiently drive (let's say below 80ohm)? I'm curious if they are comparable in terms of sound signature and SQ. I'm just curious if the HD II could be a "portable Lusya".

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #2,471 of 6,504
Does anyone get artifacts coming through on their DAC dongle?

I am using ibasso dc04 and sometimes get some soft pops and click type sounds. Source is a galaxy s10e.

It's not a huge deal but would like to know if there is a fix! My quick google search said it Could be do a buffering issue but I can't see where this can be adjusted.

Side note: I mainly use Spotify premium - with a mix of downloaded content. Using another DAC (shanling ua2) I noticed the led indicator showing it was upsampling to 176.4/192. I am not sure if this is universal for DACs and contributing to the issue.

May 30, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #2,472 of 6,504
Does anyone get artifacts coming through on their DAC dongle?

I am using ibasso dc04 and sometimes get some soft pops and click type sounds. Source is a galaxy s10e.

It's not a huge deal but would like to know if there is a fix! My quick google search said it Could be do a buffering issue but I can't see where this can be adjusted.

Side note: I mainly use Spotify premium - with a mix of downloaded content. Using another DAC (shanling ua2) I noticed the led indicator showing it was upsampling to 176.4/192. I am not sure if this is universal for DACs and contributing to the issue.
Which one better shanling ua2 or ibasso dc04?

May 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #2,473 of 6,504
Hi guys, great thread with a lot of very useful informations.

What could you currently recommend if I want to use a USB-C dongle as pure line-out function to feed a portable amp?

I'm searching for a single ended USB-C dongle to relplace my Chord Mojo. I'm looking for a USB-C dongle which is able to get 3 Vrms (or more) as line-out output power at single ended (like the Mojo which can deliver more at single ended).

I know there are some USB-C dongles with balanced output with 4 Vrms, but I'm looking for a single ended device. Is such a device existing?

Thanks
I looked at ASR charts, incidentally https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...attle-of-google-pixel-headphone-dongles.4863/ shows VE Odyssey has very low output power. As expected.

And I see nothing for dongles above 2 Vrms. As expected.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #2,475 of 6,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back