USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jul 31, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #693 of 6,219
I am a new user streaming tidal to UAPP using a Mojo from a Note 4. For some reason it is showing 320kbs when my settings in Tidal are only HiFi. Any ideas??

I haven't seen that before, but maybe this will help.

First, go to settings and check your sample rate on UAPP. Make sure it's set to variable.

Also, try different songs/albums to make sure you're not dealing with a random 320kb file to ensure that's not the issue.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #694 of 6,219
  It seems like the app "turns off" after about 10 or 15 minutes of use, and I'm getting a connection error. This doesn't happen when using Tidal or Spotify directly, so I'm assuming it's a bug in the app. 

I'm using an LG V10, if that makes a difference. 

Thanks!

I have a similar problem with USB connection error:  it seems very fragile.  I suspect that what is happening is that sometimes a slight movement of the connection cable between my android device and my DAC can cause this.

This would not be so bad if resettling the connections would fix it, but instead it is necessary to quit the app completely, turn my DAC off, unplug and replug the cables (device to DAC), and turn the DAC on again, and usually the app starts again automatically.  Uapp does not seem able to recheck the connections once they are lost and reset whatever "connection" flag the program uses.

Similar problem with reading files from a hard drive plugged into router.
If I forget to turn on "wifi" on my device before the app activates, Uapp will still continue to give the "No connection to server" type message even after I turn wifi on.  I have to stop the app and restart.  Any chance of getting the app to recheck connections (both wifi and usb cables) from within, instead of what seems to be a once-only flag set

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #695 of 6,219
I have a similar problem with USB connection error:  it seems very fragile.  I suspect that what is happening is that sometimes a slight movement of the connection cable between my android device and my DAC can cause this.

This would not be so bad if resettling the connections would fix it, but instead it is necessary to quit the app completely, turn my DAC off, unplug and replug the cables (device to DAC), and turn the DAC on again, and usually the app starts again automatically.  Uapp does not seem able to recheck the connections once they are lost and reset whatever "connection" flag the program uses.

Similar problem with reading files from a hard drive plugged into router.
If I forget to turn on "wifi" on my device before the app activates, Uapp will still continue to give the "No connection to server" type message even after I turn wifi on.  I have to stop the app and restart.  Any chance of getting the app to recheck connections (both wifi and usb cables) from within, instead of what seems to be a once-only flag set

Yes, I'm not even using a dac at this point. This is partly to do with how fragile micro USB connections are. The Chord Mojo is the only micro USB device I've ever seen with anything close to a solidly built USB port.

Hopefully this will improve with USB-C, but then everyone will have to upgrade their phones and dacs, lol.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #696 of 6,219
Yes, I'm not even using a dac at this point. This is partly to do with how fragile micro USB connections are. The Chord Mojo is the only micro USB device I've ever seen with anything close to a solidly built USB port.

Hopefully this will improve with USB-C, but then everyone will have to upgrade their phones and dacs, lol.

The micro usb connection is small.  My Oppo R7s phone has a reasonably tight micro usb, but my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" has some play in it.  With the Note Pro, instead of using the micro usb, I am using the full USB 3 to try to get more stability but even this is not perfectly tight.

But more to the point is UAPP's apparent inablity to reset its "not there" flags once the connections are re-set, with both the physical plug connections, and the wifi setting on the device.  It is necessary to stop the app, make sure it is no longer a current app, turn the DAC off and on again to reactivate the app.  In fact sometimes I have had to turn my device(s) all off (including the DAC and the Android device) and then turn on device, wait until it is truly fully booted, then turn the DAC back on.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #697 of 6,219
I haven't seen that before, but maybe this will help.

First, go to settings and check your sample rate on UAPP. Make sure it's set to variable.

Also, try different songs/albums to make sure you're not dealing with a random 320kb file to ensure that's not the issue.

I did that but still continues to display 320kbs. This is the case with all files that I've tested. Very strange!

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #698 of 6,219
I did that but still continues to display 320kbs. This is the case with all files that I've tested. Very strange!

Please press the Quality option/button at the top right in the Tidal screen and reselect the music.

For others: setting the Android sample rate to 'Variable' is usually a bad idea since you'd be using Android's low quality resampler, unless the Android device/build really has implemented support for variable sample rates up to the (internal) DAC, which is very uncommon. We really should make a short user manual explaining the settings!

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #699 of 6,219
Please press the Quality option/button at the top right in the Tidal screen and reselect the music.

For others: setting the Android sample rate to 'Variable' is usually a bad idea since you'd be using Android's low quality resampler, unless the Android device/build really has implemented support for variable sample rates up to the (internal) DAC, which is very uncommon. We really should make a short user manual explaining the settings!

Davy, thanks for chiming in, I appreciate you following our thread.

Question: Why does UAPP seem to "time out" while streaming Tidal after 10-15 minutes? This even happens in my basement, 10 feet from my modem.

Cheers!

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #700 of 6,219
We basically have no idea. We use both wifi and partial wake locks and as of current we have no idea why wifi (or the connection) just stops. Here, it doesn't matter much, since the app will automatically reconnect and this happens so fast that you will never hear a glitch, but for some people things are worse. I think it comes down to the Tidal server killing connections that it thinks are not used anymore and we think that the configuration is different for Tidal servers in different countries. In the US for example, things are worse than here in The Netherlands.

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #701 of 6,219
We basically have no idea. We use both wifi and partial wake locks and as of current we have no idea why wifi (or the connection) just stops. Here, it doesn't matter much, since the app will automatically reconnect and this happens so fast that you will never hear a glitch, but for some people things are worse. I think it comes down to the Tidal server killing connections that it thinks are not used anymore and we think that the configuration is different for Tidal servers in different countries. In the US for example, things are worse than here in The Netherlands.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation.

That explains why the app works beautifully for my own music stored on my micro SD card.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #702 of 6,219

Which setting do you recommend Davy? The native device sample rate must also involve resampling if it is different to the majority of the music (which it seems to be based on the coloured light on a Dragonfly) so I assume you recommend 44.1. In that case should we keep our music to being all 44.1 and lose high resolution capabilities?

Thanks for your input!

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #703 of 6,219

Thanks so much for

Thanks so much for trying to address this. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by upper right corner of the Tidal screen. Are you referring to the UAPP tidal screen? If so, I have already gone into and checked the settings. I have also set the Tidal app settings to HiFi as well.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #705 of 6,219
I tried the trial version to use Note 5 USB OTG to Cowon P1. There is sound coming out of the P1, but it skips like crazy. Any suggestion on what I can try? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back