CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #631 of 775
Hi guys, I received the Canadian VE kit today. It was packaged well and looks to be in great condition. I will start listening tonight. Thanks again to Barra for setting this up. It really is a special treat for those of us in the North. Only a few specialty stores in all of Canada.

20201116_163650.jpg20201116_163712.jpg20201116_163721.jpg20201116_163707.jpg
Enjoy it buddy!

i miss the VE8 already...
it’s so funny how my writing on the faulty cable is still surviving. I would’ve thought it’d be completely erased by now.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #632 of 775
Vision Ears VE8. First listen. I know it's new headphone syndrome.

These are getting old in relative terms but they really are excellent earphones. If this is the VE house sound, I'm in love. Amazing right from a smartphone. Like the love child of EE Phantom and a 64Audio a12t. Missing some of the resolution of the a12t but is not inferior to it. It is a midcentric earphone like the Phantom but removes some of the bloat in the bass.

Treble is elegant and smooth. No sibiliance or fatigue. Rounded off but still excellent sense of detail. Not alot of air or energy unless emphasized in the music.

Mids are thick and have excellent timbre. Mild but well done upper bass bloat and intrusion into vocal range. Feels intimate and analog. Love it.

Bass is well executed and powerful. It extends well into sub bass frequencies and has almost rumble.

No hiss. Soundstage is wide and almost headphone like. Imaging is good but not pinpoint.

Fit is excellent for a universal. The earphone is quite small and the shape is similar to a custom build.
Impressive. I would be happy with this as my only earphone. TOTL.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #634 of 775
Fit is excellent for a universal. The earphone is quite small and the shape is similar to a custom build.
Impressive. I would be happy with this as my only earphone. TOTL.
I honestly wish the Elysium came with the same shape as the demo VE8. I loved the fit so much.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #635 of 775
I honestly wish the Elysium came with the same shape as the demo VE8. I loved the fit so much.

Agreed man...VE8 fit me like a glove. I have the Erlk in my ears right now and it's a chonky boy. Also weighs a good deal more than the Elysium did haha

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #636 of 775
Agreed man...VE8 fit me like a glove. I have the Erlk in my ears right now and it's a chonky boy. Also weighs a good deal more than the Elysium did haha

I’m really hoping we’d get the Erlky here in the North too.
Based on photos I’ve seen they do look chonkers. But then again, my ears are able to swallow up the super chonky V1 Layla just fine so I’m not worried too worried lol

The Ely just had a weird flat shape. While they fit fine in my ears, I couldn’t get the same satisfying seal as the VE8.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #637 of 775
I have the Erlk in my ears right now and it's a chonky boy. Also weighs a good deal more than the Elysium did haha
Me too.

Erlky is a bit chonky, no doubt, but despite its chonk i find it to be quite ergonomic and super smooth (especially compared to something with crazy sharp edges like the thummim, which for a lucky few is saved by its long sound tube.) indeed, universal fit always comes with an element of anatomical luck.

if you can find a good way to nest the erlky in your ears, i'm guessing many will find it to be one of the most comfortable iems (universal or custom) they've ever experienced.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #640 of 775
I'm a bit late in doing this, but it's been hectic times for me lately.

I was on the Canadian tour before Gasdoc, and am finally getting a few minutes to write into words some point form text based on my experience with VE8 and Elysium :)

VE8:

Tuning – These are linear, with fantastic bass punch for BA, slightly above neutral midbass for fullness, linear midrange with more accentuation on male voices and a dip for females’ and a rise in the treble to give it quite a nice energy and dynamic in its treble. These are at first listen pretty warm and rich, but the treble also has great clarity and attack, sometimes even sharp. I’d consider these a more neutral iem than what I had up until just last week (U12T).

Fit – Very nicely done ergonomics on a custom-like shell. Easily achieve deep fit with large eartips. Creates a nice vacuum effect the seal is so great.

If I had to recommend one iem as an endgame, for someone who wants a blend of musicality and technicalities, this would be my #1 suggestion.

Everyone talks about the U12T’s treble being amazing, but personally, I find these to sound more sharp and clean, even making U12T sound smoother. U12T is excellent in lower treble, but falters at 8-10kHz and up, whereas VE8 does not. The energy around 8kHZ on VE8 was a bit intense with some recordings, but this is just nitpicking. One other comparison with U12T – many users claim it to be the “best BA bass”, well, I clearly hear superior bass performance on the VE8, it’s certainly more punchy and present, despite not being as boosted in the sub-bass as U12T.

Both iem’s are fantastic, but U12T I believe is showing its age. Now that Vision Ears just announced production of universal models, and that I’ve sold my U12T, I am seriously considering a pair of uniquely designed VE8 😊

Personal score: 9/10

Elysium:

Tuning – Let me get this out of the way. I think these are quite amazing iem’s, but won’t wow you like the VE8 perhaps on immediate listen. I was much more impressed with these iem’s, despite a more “boring tuning”, straight out of the box, as I’ve been listening to a lot of the best totl’s as of late, and immediately was smitten by the quality of its treble. It straight up wipes the floor with all other iem’s not named KSE1500 in my opinion and has got me oh so curious about Erlkonig now. Treble is outstanding, much less peaky and not as sibilant as VE8 (based on other users’ comments, I believe achieving a deep fit/ great seal is the issue with some), midrange is a bit “dull” and is probably its main weakness, and bass is very neutral with great texture and realism. The choice of using DD for mids and BA for bass is interesting but works in creating a very accurate sounds in my opinion. The one nitpick is that I kind of sense the mids being less “Fast” or transparent as other ranges, and that may be due to the DD integration.

Fit – These are one of the best fitting iem’s I’ve ever tried, and more so than VE8. I have a very large ear canal, and it almost feels like these were shaped for my ears. I sense that without a deep fit and tight seal, these may sound more top heavy in sound, as many seem to report; but I really have 0 nitpicks with the treble, which is a first ever with an IEM. Treble is the hardest thing to get right. My other favorites for treble aren't perfect (KSE sometimes brittle, Z1R metallic/ zingy, MEST sharp/ ringy).

I would recommend this to purist, people who listen to a lot of classical and jazz, with busy passages and lots of stringed and brass instruments. I myself listen to a lot of prog rock, electronica and funk, and these are not the best match. These iem’s are definitely more refined and sophisticated, and not all-around players, but they excel at what I’ve described.

This hobby is full of flavors, and not everything works for everyone. But these to me, are very nicely tuned for the critical listener, who wants less color in his sound. I love it.

Personal score: 9.5/10

Thanks again for everything Barra, but now I need to try Erlkonig lol 😊

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #641 of 775
Everyone talks about the U12T’s treble being amazing, but personally, I find these to sound more sharp and clean, even making U12T sound smoother. U12T is excellent in lower treble, but falters at 8-10kHz and up, whereas VE8 does not. The energy around 8kHZ on VE8 was a bit intense with some recordings, but this is just nitpicking. One other comparison with U12T – many users claim it to be the “best BA bass”, well, I clearly hear superior bass performance on the VE8, it’s certainly more punchy and present, despite not being as boosted in the sub-bass as U12T.

Both iem’s are fantastic, but U12T I believe is showing its age. Now that Vision Ears just announced production of universal models, and that I’ve sold my U12T, I am seriously considering a pair of uniquely designed VE8 😊

Great impression man. I agree with the sentiments about Elysium's midrange, and I think you mostly nailed both IEM's overall sonic character relative to how I hear them too.

I do have to defend one of my favorite IEMs though! The U12t dips in the mid-treble after around 8kHz like you noted, but it actually peaks at around ~15-16kHz if you run a sine wave sweep, whereas the VE8 has started rolling off at that point to my ears. I won't necessarily say either is better - as the U12t's treble is by no means natural - but I think both have their merit. VE8 is also more mid-bass emphasized which would probably explain the greater "punch" to its low-end.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #642 of 775
Great impression man. I agree with the sentiments about Elysium's midrange, and I think you mostly nailed both IEM's overall sonic character relative to how I hear them too.

I do have to defend one of my favorite IEMs though! The U12t dips in the mid-treble after around 8kHz like you noted, but it actually peaks at around ~15-16kHz if you run a sine wave sweep, whereas the VE8 has started rolling off at that point to my ears. I won't necessarily say either is better - as the U12t's treble is by no means natural - but I think both have their merit. VE8 is also more mid-bass emphasized which would probably explain the greater "punch" to its low-end.
Hehe, you mentioned that peak to me on Discord, and I agree U12T does produce more air the VE8. U12T is the more spatial iem and it's super satisfying when you have crazy tracks with lots of spacial cues. I was running my U12T with Fir O and DUW-02 in the end with Lotoo S1 and it was tremendously neutral and as detailed as I could get them to be.

VE8 gives off this very strong crossfeed focus where center image is nicely brought forward "in front of your nose" and enhances imaging for vocals. U12T opts for the more diffuse staging and imaging yet still retains great image depth as well.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #643 of 775
Hi,

The Canadian tour kit is being shipped to @Otto Motor in Calgary today. Thanks again Barra for the tour organization!
VE Canadian Tour Kit package from Gasdoc arrived today. Professionally and safely packaged. Thanks Gasdoc, and thanks Barra for the tour organization. I will contact Biodegraded, next on the list, asap.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #645 of 775
frontis.jpeg

frontis.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back