CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Oct 6, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #602 of 775
Just wanted to share some quick pics of the Elysium and VE8. Beautiful iem's so had to do something special.
20200919_193626.jpg20200919_193612.jpg20200917_150152.jpg
sick pix, man.

love the iem color light reflections on the stones.

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #604 of 775
The Canadian Tour kit is now shipped and is on the way to @Titienne

thanks again @Barra for this amazing opportunity to listen to the VE8 and the Elysium!!

my full length written review, and video review will be up soon! I’m also preparing a huge IEM shootout video. So watch out for that.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #606 of 775
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #607 of 775
_DSC3112-2 (2).jpg

Vision Ears Elysium and VE8 Review and Comparison

First, I want to thank Head-Fi, Vision Ears, and @Barra for the opportunity to participate in this tour. This is my first tour and I kind of expected this review to be a challenge but this was even harder than I anticipated. I won’t go into detail but in a nutshell, I was torn as to what the appropriate standard should be at this price point. After much thought, I have determined what that level is…….VERY HIGH. Honestly, it was kind of tough. I’ve never reviewed anything this expensive and it’s only the second time I’ve reviewed IEM’s I didn’t pay for myself.

Vision Ears is a company out of Germany that focuses primarily on high-end custom IEMs but offers some universal sets as well. The Elysium is available in both the custom and universal variant while the VE8 is only available in custom. These are their two highest priced models with the VE8 price starting at about $2,200 and the Elysium at $2,400.

Test Tracks

Dominick Farinacci - You Don’t Know What Love Is
Repercussion Unit - It’s Rediculous
Choir Of Young Believers - Hollow Talk
Uji - Jenga
Frederic Robinson - Acrylic
Doug MacLeod - Break The Chain
Hoff Ensemble - Innocence
Chet Baker - Trav’lin’ Light
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

_DSC3067-2 (4.jpg

VE8

Specs

The VE8 has an eight BA driver configuration. It uses four BA’s for the treble, two for the mids, and two for the bass and has a sensitivity of 22 ohms. The tour kit only included the IEM’s and a metal case but there are other case options if you purchase them. There is also an available ambiance system and custom shell designs for an additional cost.

Sound Impressions

The overall sound signature is neutral-warm and frankly the best I’ve heard. There is just the right amount of emphasis on the low-mids and mid-bass that beautifully reveal the thickness and body of a low tuned snare, tom, and male vocals. The tonality and coherency are excellent.

Treble

The treble is rolled off resulting in a smoother, non-fatiguing presentation but is not lacking in detail or clarity. The extension is not great but still very good. Some might say it lacks air and sparkle. Snares and cymbals still sound natural. The soundstage is wide and the instrument separation and placement are excellent.

Mids

The mids are my favorite part of the VE8. There is a 1.5 kHz hump that brings the upper-mids slightly forward. Vocals are lush and realistic having a more intimate presentation. The instruments sound natural with good timbre. Clarity and detail are excellent

Bass

The bass is weighty with a proper slam. It has good extension, speed, and accuracy.
Good texture and layering.

Verdict

If I could afford the VE8 I would buy it. I loved it that much. The VE8 is an incredible IEM, the best 8BA IEM I've ever heard for sure. I've only heard five other 8 BA IEM’s. The JH Angie II, Westone W80, Fearless Audio S8F, and S8Z and also the Moondrop S8. None of which approach the VE8 in terms of performance but also cost much less.

_DSC3012 - 4.jpg

Elysium

Specs

The Elysium has a tribrid configuration with Dual EST tweeters for the treble, a single dynamic driver for the mids, and a single BA driver for the bass.

Sound Impressions

The Elysium is a very good IEM but for this price range, I feel the standard should be excellence. I also want to give the Elysium the benefit of a doubt as I've heard the custom version has a much better presentation than the universal. But, since I've only heard the universal I must base my opinion on that.

The Elysium has a slightly warm, mild v-shape sound signature. It’s very musical for a tribrid, it has good coherency. The implantation of the EST tweeters is excellent.

Treble

The treble on the Elysium has excellent extension, detail, and clarity. I never found it to sibilant or sharp and is very resolving. The soundstage is wide and instrument placement is accurate, almost holographic. Cymbals and instruments with high frequencies sound natural and detailed.

Mids

This is where I feel the Elysium falls slightly short of the standard of excellence that I would expect from an IEM at this price point. The mids are a little too recessed for my taste and while they have good clarity I feel they fall just below my expectations. Instruments and voices that should have a deeper, fuller sound seem a little shallow and lacking in presence.

Bass

The bass of the Elysium has excellent texture, layering, and extension. However, I find it to be a little too laid back and lacking proper slam.

Verdict

For the $2,400 price, I found the Elysium to fall ever so slightly short of my expectations. While the Elysium is still one the best overall IEM’s I’ve ever listened too, I just didn’t feel like it completely blew me away. However, I did love its overall musicality and presentation and found myself reluctant to end my listening sessions. I also must divulge that between the VE8 and the Elysium, these were some of the longest listening sessions I’ve ever had. The Elysium was an absolute pleasure and a joy to listen too and I wish I would have had more time with it. At the end of the day, however, I must give the victory to the VE8. With its excellent tonality, presentation, and coherency it has quickly become one of my favorite IEM’s. When I’m listening to the VE8 I really do feel like I’m listening to a TOTL IEM and is worth every bit of the $2,200 price tag.

_DSC3027 1.jpg
You are definitely right in line with my findings in your VE8 impressions, that is a wonderful IEM. However, your review of the ELY is interesting as you felt that the mids were set back when it is widely discussed for its forward mid focus. I definitely had ELY universal fit problems leading to lacking bass presence that was solved with the custom fit. But the mids were front and center for me even in a universal format which is why I fell in love with its signature. The bass fix was just a bonus. Regardless, this is what is so much fun with these tours as everyone hears them different and there is always a great option for everyone. Hopefully, you will be able to get a VE8 one of these days. :)

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #611 of 775
Are you signed up to demo the Erlkonig? I personally felt it was better than the VE8 in just about every single way.
Yeah...ve8 was good, but erlky is just on a whole different level, for sure.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #612 of 775
I live in Somerville, MA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. I will have emailed my required ID verification documentation to billb@cleardiff.com. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #613 of 775
I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. I will have emailed my required ID verification documentation to billb@cleardiff.com. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #614 of 775
Good afternoon! I live in Orange, CA and would like to participate in the tour. I agree to follow the terms of the tour. I will have emailed my required ID verification documentation to billb@cleardiff.com. I thank you for the opportunity and look forward to the experience. Please PM if you require any additional information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back