How many US Head-Fiers have been drooling over the VE8 reviews over the last couple years, topping EU Head-Fiers lists consistently - but have no way to hear them? I have attended Head-Fi events such as RMAF CANJAM many times with no luck. This is the reason that I started offering tours a few years back - so we in the US can hear these jewels when we have no other way to hear them.
Well guess what, VISON EARS has done it again and again with more product that is topping the lists - this time it is the ELYSIUM. The ELYSIUM is VISION EARS very first hybrid driver model, and from what I hear have hit this one out of the park as well. It combines three driver technologies - dynamic, BA, and electrostatic - together in one package offering the best of each. But there is a twist, while most hybrids drive the lows with the dynamic driver VE decided to switch and use the dynamic driver for the mids and the BA for the lows. Based on what I hear about the VE8 lows, VE knows how to do bass right with a BA so no worries there, but this is offering a focus on the mids that seems to be missing on the other competing hybrid models that often come away with a V-shaped signature as the dynamic and electrostatic drivers steal the show from the mids. From the sparce feedback I am reading so far, this was a great choice.
So for this tour, we can compare a classic - VE8 - that is not getting any ear time in the US but sounds like it deserves more attention to a new hybrid champion in the making. Is one better than the other, or do we just have to buy both? Join the tour and find out for yourself.
BONUS ROUND: After hearing the ELYSIUM and VE8, I was so impressed that I had to hear the VE flagship, the ERLKöNIG. So it is being added as a bonus round for those that dare.
US VISION EARS TOTL CIEM Tour, Featuring
- ELYSIUM: PRICE: 2900,- €
- Tech: Four driver three-way hybrid system with a BA, dynamic, and 2 electrostatic driver
- Drivers: 1BA for bass – 1 dynamic for mids – 2 electrostatic for highs
- Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL at 1 mW
- Impedance: 16.4 Ohms at 1 kHz
- VE8: PRICE: 2.350,- €
- Tech: Three-way-system with eight BA drivers
- Drivers: 2 BAs for bass – 2 BAs for mids – 4 BAs for highs
- Sensitivity: 120dB SPL at 1 mW
- Impedance: 22 Ohms at 1 kHz
- ERLKöNIG: Price 4200,- €
- Tech: Five-way system with 13 BA drivers
- Drivers: four bass, four mids, four highs, and one super tweeter
- Sensitivity; TBD
- Impedance: TBD
ELYSIUM Unboxing Video: