1. davidmolliere
    The Fairy King
    Written by davidmolliere
    Published Nov 17, 2019
    Pros - Strong technical foundations, top tier bass, mids and highs... while highly engaging : clearly a statement product!
    Top notch resolution and fantastic detail retrieval
    Fantastic soundstage
    Background as black as it can be, makes for amazing note contrast
    Build quality is outstanding, as well as great fit and isolation for a universal shell
    Distinctive and coherent signatures, catering to wide preferences (not a gadget)
    Smart magnetic faceplate allowing easy access to robust and well thought out signature switch
    Cons - Price, this fall into « price no object » items… but you do get what you pay for!
    Listening notes
    I spent an intense 60hours with the Erlkönig, listening to Cayin N6ii (A01 and T01 motherboard) and with both the stock cable and the Elysium cable (my personal favorite combination in fact). I spent more than half that time with signature 4, probably a close to a quarter with signature 3 and the rest with signature 2 and 1 and some time A/B the signatures.

This review is a bit more complex than usual as the Erlkönig features no less than 4 signatures with the switch system and it wouldn’t make sense to just review one of them as it’s clearly part of the product design and a major features as well. For the rest of the review in the spirit of simplifying, I’ll refer to the Erlkönig for a specific signature as “Erlkönig4”, “Erlkönig2” and so on...

Special thanks
    Thanks to Johannes at Vision Ears for allowing me to demo the Erlkönig and to Simon (@lafeuill) for helping me set this up. The unit must be returned at the end of the 2 weeks demo. As usual, this review is my honest opinion. No incentive was given for a favorable review.

F342DC38-438E-436C-AFD9-5CEA760047AF.jpeg

Packaging and accessories
    I can’t really comment on the packaging since I only got the carry case, IEM and cable but I have no doubt this is top notch packaging.

48D3D646-620C-4060-8DE5-23FFE40A5487.jpeg

2- Baseline +3db at 100Hz compared to 3, playful bass
    1- Baseline +3db at 100Hz compared to 2, full on basshead

4C8A2802-B4B5-4A24-B90D-B407BEB42EC1.jpeg

Fit, Build & Isolation
    The Erlkönig is a statement product from VE and as such is everything that you can expect : the finish is spotless and a feat of engineering. I am not equipped to provide pictures to do them justice. The silver shell is heavy but fairly compact for a 13 driver... in no way does it compromise the superb fit and comfort and it definitely is a factor for the superb isolation. The isolation certainly contribute to the sense of phasing out of the world when listening to the Erlkönig.

B2210D03-8FC6-4A3D-AF65-1ED49BC19153.jpeg

Introduction
    Vision Ears is a company that has a very special place in my heart, as it’s also the company that built my very first custom IEM - the legendary VE8. The VE house sound is known for both its very strong technical foundations and their highly engaging nature, and the VE8 certainly delivers. It’s one of the few IEMs that simply are uncontested, entering a very closed number of IEMs that earn the respect of people with various preferences in terms of signatures. This is a testament both to VE flawless engineering but also the craft and knowledge of music that went into its tuning.

The big question in my mind was : how do you top yourself after this? Where do you go, as a company, after building what many consider as a endgame IEM altogether? This is a good problem to have but nevertheless one that is not so easy to solve and many in different industries have failed at repeating such a success.

I can’t say for sure how the guys decided to build the Erlkönig but it sure does make sense to move to a different plane field and go for a universal form factor, a first for a brand known for building custom only. To make matters a tad more interesting they chose Silver as the material for the shell which I am pretty sure is quite a challenging concept from sourcing, to engineering and manufacturing. A statement for a price no object product.

C03F44B7-03DA-43DD-93BB-7D98E61B5096.jpeg

The name itself is pretty interesting. ERLKöNIG. I did a little research and found references to Goethe’s somewhat grim poem, set to music by several composers, most notably by Franz Schubert. Wikipedia’s page suggest « Goethe's poem took on a life of its own, inspiring the Romantic concept of the Erlking . Erlking is a name used in German Romanticism for the figure of a spirit or king of the fairies.»

Vision Ears boldly asserts that « the ERLKöNIG has been developed so that you can experience music like never before». We’ve all read this or a variant of it before and usually this comes with a disappointment at the end... is that another fairy tale or is the Erlkönig really the King of the Fairies?

Let’s see!

It doesn’t take long to hear that the Erlkönig does not usurp his royal status, for it very well might be King of all universal IEM indeed or at least one of its kings. I often say first impressions are quite interesting and while spending more time with an IEM sure helps getting an in depth understanding, first impressions are usually painting the big picture. In the case of the Erlkönig I sure had very high expectations so it’s much harder to impress, but I was!

The first thing that struck me was the sense of realism deriving from the combination of a pitch black background and a stunning resolution, immediately drawing me into the music and only the music. The second thing that came to mind upon the very first minutes was the overall coherence and seamless presentation like the 13 drivers were all in unison. Then how big the soundstage was : a grand presentation for sure and I went on to check some orchestral music to check and oh my... it was amazing. Despite the resolution and detail retrieval ability I didn’t want to analyze what I was hearing but quickly was drawn into the flow of the tracks and albums, loosing track of time. A sign of an engaging IEM. As I started taking notes for the review - this took me a week to get there - I began to analyze a bit more (because yes, I have to give it back!)

61B59B4B-ED3C-4B04-869E-DA0CBD2DDADA.jpeg

Interestingly the breathtaking resolution isn’t forced on you with any sense of artificial boost in the upper section. The Erlkönig is very natural sounding and no part of the frequency range is getting more attention (although you can tweak this especially with the signature 1 and 2). This is remarkable, and a testament to Vision Ears tuning craftsmanship. The Erlkönig clearly belongs to the VE family, you can certainly here a kinship to the VE8 there, but the Erlkönig is more balanced in my opinion. Both are highly engaging and this was a question mark for me about the Erlkönig which is clearly lifted : VE managed to build another very addictive IEM there.

Now, let’s dive a bit deeper!

Bass

Signature 4
    This signature is the baseline, which overall has the less bass of all signature along with signature 3. This being said I didn’t find the Erlkönig4 bass light at all. The bass extends low and quantity is above what many reference IEM feature. It’s already a playful but clean and agile bass, providing good rythm. I enjoyed Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals “Steal my Kisses” like never before and M.A.N “Slow it down” was a great sub bass experience along with a superb portraying of the vocals of Marina Anne Nolles. A very engaging and mature bass presentation.

Signature 3
    This signature features +2db above 4kHz compare to 4, but the exact same bass level. I didn’t notice any changes to the bass compared to 4 but the more forward upper mids and treble does change the overall perception and with Erlkönig3 I felt the bass was snappier but somewhat less present.

Signature 2
    This signatures features +3db at 100Hz compared to 3 and 4 and it’s instantly apparent. The bass takes a more prominent space in the signature, the bass line was much more present than 3 and 4. This is a much more playful bass with more slam and sub presence. The bass guitar is one star of the show as well as percussions. Soundstage looses some air but gets a bit taller.

For comparison purposes the Erlkönig manages to reach Solaris or IER-Z1R sub bass presence and is the first IEM since the Solaris to provide this tremendous subwoofer like sense of power. A great option to have the 2 switch. I am almost wondering how signature 1 can sound at this point since bassheads wouldn’t be too sad with 2!

Signature 1
    This signature takes things one notch up and features a whopping +3db at 100Hz compared to 2. It’s very obvious that this setting is meant for bassheads, so if you fall into that category rejoice! The bass is no overpowering the signature with massive presence, and I get flashback of my two years with Campfire Vega... only the Erlkönig has softer attack so the Erlkönig1 is less tiring than the Vega but do expect some ear fatigue on this setting.

Mids

Signature 4
    The Erlkönig4 could be seen as the most mid centric signature having no high boost and the flatter bass response. It’s certainly the way I hear it and I confess, it’s my favorite setting of all 4. On this setting the mids feature an exquisite balance in the signature : the transition from bass to mids is seamless as well as mids to highs.

The Erlkönig4 mids feature full and articulate mids, and I do feel timbre is the most accurate of all 4 settings. Vocals are just a tad forward but not so much that it would compromise the depth which is excellent. The Erlkönig resolution and black background provides great nuances in the artist vocal performance and from this standpoint it can be a very emotional IEM contributing to its engaging nature.

Lower mids have enough presence to grant male vocals sufficient power but not too much either to make the Erlkönig too warm. Instruments are portrayed beautifully with exquisite detail delivered in a very smooth manner. Upper mids share the same fine balance, the Erlkönig4 is very articulate but never harsh. The mids overall are smooth and detailed. You can clearly pick up nuances in interpretation but at the same time I don’t see the Erlkönig as an unforgiving IEM revealing the flaws in a way that make records unlistenable.

Signature 3
    This signature features +2db above 4kHz compared to signature 4 and the upper frequencies focus certainly shows but is not overdone. The mids remain smooth and full but the upper mids and treble focus adds further excitement to the Erlkönig mids compared to 3 and it’s particularly interesting when listening to Jazz.

Things almost go to the edge of what I consider my personal limit in upper mids but never cross the limit. Think Trumpets going to the upper edge : this adds a satisfying excitement but can test your personal limit.

If I had to sum it up, Erlkönig3 is the utmost of what the Erlkönig can provide if you want maximum excitement up top. It will certainly appeal to most of those who like reference signature.

Signature 2
    This signatures features +3db at 100Hz compared to 4, with the same mids and highs so most of what I wrote for signature 4 does apply here. Depending on the genres though, the changes will be more or less apparent. On less bass heavy genres, the bass line will have more presence, for example on Jazz the double bass will be more forward and fill more space but the signature is quite close to Erlkönig3. This is an interesting more relaxed setting. On more bass heavy genre, the attention will be taken away from the mids to the bass, highlighting percussions over lead instruments even if those are clearly still very articulate. There is a tad less air and the bass boost does infuse warmth to the signature.

Signature 1
    This signatures features +3db at 100Hz compared to 2, as described in the bass section this shifts the signature to full on basshead territory. This does affect the signature radically especially bass rich genres where the mids are set back into the mix : the bass simply takes most of the attention. I think it’s the more polarizing switch position, and also the one that is a bit too far away from the baseline.

Treble

Signature 4
    This signature does feature less highs than signature 3, but I found this is very relative as the Erlkönig4 has very good treble extension and presence already. Vision Ears certainly has retained the great tuning qualities of the VE8 in the upper treble section and it’s simply the best BA treble I have ever heard. The Erlkönig builds upon this with more lower treble energy which makes it a more vibrant IEM than the VE8. Piano notes are spot on with clear edges to the notes and sublime highs. You don’t loose much compared to Erlkönig3, despite less presence it is sufficient to give you the full refinement of the upper treble and a smoother lower treble experience that is both exciting and delicate. A very rich and nuanced presentation enhanced again by the blackest of background. Something to behold!

Signature 3
    This signature features +2db above 4kHz compared to signature 4 and it’s immediately apparent (but not overdone). This build upon Erlkönig4 refinement and adds welcome excitement and bite to instruments, it’s not as smooth as Erlkönig4 but remains safe no hints of sibilance or harshness. It certainly does provide extra air yet and definitely more bite, but signature 4 could provide enough of that with less fatigue. Great to have both in one IEM.

Signature 2
    This signatures features +3db at 100Hz compared to 4, with the same mids and highs so most of what I wrote for signature 4 does apply here. The bass boost does affect the mids more than the treble in fact, the highs are just as good as signature 4 to me.

Signature 1
    This signatures features +3db at 100Hz compared to 2, and the overall +6db compared to signatures 3 and 4 means the bass are now overpowering the signature in my opinion it takes the attention away from the mids but treble as well, especially on bass heavy genres. There are some scenarios though where records are bass light due to poor mixing / mastering where I see signature 1 being handy.

0DDAF38D-DA00-425E-B1B3-A1C0F64CE960.jpeg

Verdict
    It’s not easy to review a price no object IEM like the Erlkönig, as price definitely can skew our expectations and obviously most of us (me included) can’t justify spending this much money on a single item. I had huge expectations for the Erlkönig and in fact I expected to be somewhat disappointed. I own and have owned quite a few TOTLs over the year, and the only IEM I spent 3k on (the LCD-i4) was disappointing for the price. So much so that the past few purchase I have done are fantastic value for money TOTLs.

The law of diminishing returns certainly does apply, but not as much as I expected in the case of the Erlkönig. The King of the VE range certainly delivers, and compared to other TOTLs it might be marginal in several areas but all combined together makes up for a unique package that many people will wish - for the sake of their wallet - to unhear!

If I could have only one IEM and put all my eggs in one basket, I‘d be hard pressed to find a more stunning flagship than the Erlkönig and would probably save up to get what could very well be considered a real endgame universal IEM. Build quality is nothing short of perfect and fit and isolation are as good as it gets for a universal. The Erlkönig is technically flawless with fantastic resolution, a pitch black background which provides fantastic note contrast and class leading soundstage but more importantly every of its technical abilities is at the service of a very musical and smooth tuning that you can tweak to your preference. What more could you wish for?

Hats off to Vision Ears!

images

1. 75D0D591-97DD-41AD-95EB-6C0C575E68DB.jpeg
    2. 661B2AD1-408D-425D-A639-338376DDC161.jpeg
    1. Erfan Elahi
      expecting comparisons with other BA monsters like the U18t...
      Erfan Elahi, Nov 20, 2019
    2. davidmolliere
      I would love to, but I only can review what I can afford (or demo for a significant time), I don’t get samples like the pro do so I am a bit limited... I auditioned U18t but it was a long time ago so not enough to write in depth comparison. Same goes for Fourte... Maybe Deezel177 or Twister6 can chip in!
      davidmolliere, Nov 21, 2019
  2. MrLocoLuciano
    Erlkönig, beware of the demon !
    Written by MrLocoLuciano
    Published Nov 11, 2019
    Pros - Refinement and intensity
    Incedible technical abilities
    Neutral signature, exquisite and not boring
    Smooth overall sound
    Cons - Strange fit for my ears
    Some might say safe tunning
    Price

Introduction

The Erlkönig is a demonstration unit graciously lent by Vision Ears, whom I thank for their confidence.

Vision Ears is a German company based in Cologne that has been in the business since 2013 and whose reputation has been built on their old High-End flagships, the VE6 and VE8. Essentially focused on customs, Erlkönig is the only universal unit of the line up. They belong to the premium line and are THE overall flagship. They are available at 4200€ and are composed of 13 balanced armatures (BA) housed in silver shells. They have a small switch allowing you to choose between 4 signatures.
    The stock 2.5mm (balanced) jack cable was developed with Effect Audio and is made of OCC silver. It is very flexible and allows you to really enjoy the quality of these inear.

Erlkönig signature in position 2, my favorite and the one on which this feedback is based, is rather neutral with a bass boost.
    Here are the Crinacle measurements (uncompensated) to compare with the InEar PP8BB (with bass boost).

[​IMG]

The bass response is well controlled and very pleasant. Attack and sustain are a little slower than those of Elysium or PP8BB allowing sounds to flourish a little more. But the release seems to be shorter, which avoids the pitfall of soft bass by giving dynamism to the notes. Subs (20 to 60Hz) are there in greater quantities than those found on PP8 or Elysium. Bass (60 to 250Hz) are thick but very well defined, and they provide a real grounding for the delivery of the music. We don't have here the impact and texture of the Trinity SS or even Fusion bass but we find some material and some nice subs.

Low mids (250 to 500Hz) is warmer and denser than that of the Elysium or PP8BB, and reminds a little of that of the Fusion, except that it is much more precise and technical. Mids (500 to 2000Hz) are airy and larger than on Elysium or PP8BB. High Mids (2000 to 4000Hz) has a peak at 2500Hz, as well as that of Fusion. It then slowly drops to 4kHz where the Elysium's continues to rise. As a result, High mids is comparatively softer but still retains sufficient openness and space. In the end, we are quite close to what the Elysium offers, but because of the differences mentioned, mids have a real thickness and intensity that is not unlike that of the VE8. They are simply more embodied than those of the Elysium.

[​IMG]

Highs are quite neutral with a gentle slope from 4 to 8000Hz. No risk of fatigue or brilliance, as it may be the case for sensitive people on Elysium. There is a reasonable amount of air and there is no zoom effect that can sometimes be artificial. The treble sounds natural, just like Trinity SS or Fusion can offer. We are somewhere between these 2 references in terms of restitution, with always a feeling of intensity in the sound, very pleasant and uncommon for BA.

The soundstage width is good, and seems a little wider than that of the Trinity, similar to that of the Elysium but less than that of the PP8BB and Fusion. The depth is equivalent to that of the Elysium, greater than that of the PP8BB, but less than that of the Trinity or Fusion. The height, on the other hand, is excellent. All this contributes to creating a real and intimate atmosphere that is not lacking in air.

Once again, and as with the Elysium, the magic square resolution - separation - definition - transparency is at the top level. The definition seems to me to be the best ever heard, even above that of the Elysium. The resolution and separation are at the level of what the Trinity SS has to offer. Transparency seems a little less than on Elysium or Trinity SS.

Switch

For Vision Ears, position 4 is the reference position. I have done very few listening in this configuration because I find that it lacks life at the top or bottom, and it turns out to be rather bland to my ears.

Position 3 increases treble above 4kHz by 2dB, compared to position 4. It is the setting that reveals the greatest refinement. Mids (250 to 4000Hz) are very similar to those of the Elysium but with more intensity in the lower midrange. Unfortunately, there is no sufficient foundation at the bottom for me with a 100Hz peak and subs that are equivalent to those of PP8 without the bass boost.

Position 2 increases the area below 500Hz with a +3dB at 100Hz compared to position 3. We lose a little bit of the magic related to the balance of position 3, but we gain in foundation. The scene seems a little narrower, but the voices are a little thicker and centered. And above all, we finally get a real slam down there.

Finally, position 1 increases the area below 500Hz with a new +3dB at 100Hz compared to position 2. Bass becomes really massive and gets a little dirty on the midrange, less precise and more distant. The rendition can be qualified as a V rendition.

Pairing and tips

Despite trying all my tips, I could only obtain a decent fit with double or triple flanges (ideal in my case) with a rather very deep insertion and large internal diameter.
    For the cables, compared to the stock cable, which is of excellent quality, the PW1950 does a little better on almost all criteria, and above all brings a very nice texture to the mids. The PW1960 2w offers, thanks to its technique and analytical power, more refined and slightly more withdrawn mids. As a result, the scene becomes a little more rounded. The basses are also slightly swollen.
    Concerning the association with DAPs, the LPG, compared to the WM1Z K mod premium which is the reference for this feedback, smoothes a little the technical habilities of Erlkönig. It offers a little more subdued bass and a more linear and softer midrange. Soundstage is also a tad more intimate.

Final Thoughts

What strikes you from the outset with Erlkönig is the refinement and intensity of the restitution. It tilts slightly to the warm side of the force and relies on an incredible ability to analyze music tracks. However, their exceptional musicality will soon make you forget it and you will be able to enjoy their liquor served in a silver case without any restraint.

"Resolution is the ability to individualize a voice or instrument"
    "Separation is the ability to feel space between the various sound sources"
    "Definition is the ability to perceive as much information as possible"
    "Transparency is the ability to transcribe the nuances and subtleties of music"

My topic on Tellement Nomade here : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=671123#p671123
      kodarkI, Vision Ears, ZeDuK and 4 others like this.
    1. toaster22
      Any comparisons to 64A A18?
      toaster22, Nov 11, 2019
      Erfan Elahi likes this.
    2. MrLocoLuciano
      Nope sorry. Only knows U18, and it was a long time ago. But did not have this double feeling of refinement and intensity with them.
      MrLocoLuciano, Nov 11, 2019
    3. toaster22
      interesting...looking forward to hearing the ve8 and elysium shortly.
      toaster22, Nov 17, 2019