CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Nov 29, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #646 of 775
Out of all of VE's lineup: VE8 > Erlk. For me, the VE8 has the best mid-range ive heard to date and the erlk just didn't have the same meaty goodness. Sounded a little thin to my ears. However, the Erlkonig was incredible at being clean and separation of instruments.

The only real deal breaker for the VE8 is the treble hotness on some tracks. Cymbal hits blow out my ears.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #648 of 775
just back from a month+ long road trip when i didn't have any of my audio gear (ny > key west / miami, fl)

popped erlky in my ears as soon as i got home and immediately fell in love all over again.

what a masterpiece.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #649 of 775
So last Thursday I was just finishing a 3-week loaner stint with the MEST, an IEM I liked about as much as I could like an IEM without it making me want to sell off my gear to purchase one. The VE tour kit came in that day but I wasn't feeling that excited about it-- I've already bought and sold a VE8 earlier in the year and while I was curious about Ely I'd pretty much resigned myself to the thought that it probably wouldn't wow me. What I really wanted was to just sink in and spend some QT with my newly acquired Andromeda MW10 and I vainly imagined that after going through the motions the VE kit would languish in a corner as I focused on the Andromeda. Suffice to say that's not how it went down. After a couple hours with the Elysium, by the time my brain actually wrapped itself around what it was hearing, the effect it had on me was little short of cathartic and the net result was that my idea of what was possible with IEMs-- the degree of intimacy and connection they could achieve-- was so broadened and came as such a liberating shock that it feels like something of a re-birth of enthusiasm for this hobby. Suffice to say the more I listened to the Elysium the more I realized I had to have one. Presently my MW10 is on its way to Europe and my Elysium, the first IEM I've purchased new in over a year, arrived yesterday thanks to Andrew at @MusicTeck and the magic of DHL. I'm smitten!

Thanks @Barra and Vision Ears for this incredible opportunity...it certainly worked its magic on me!

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #650 of 775
And from you onto me. Life got in the way a couple months ago and I withdrew from the tour... well @Rockwell75 was so floored by these, a person who was so committed to his Solaris that I couldn’t see anything ever displacing them, that I had to ask to be let back on the tour... thanks @Barra for being so kind. I am really looking forward to hearing this revolution..

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #651 of 775
And from you onto me. Life got in the way a couple months ago and I withdrew from the tour... well @Rockwell75 was so floored by these, a person who was so committed to his Solaris

It's not so much the Solaris I was committed to as finding a proper upgrade-- this finally came with the Elysium. Everything else I've tried has been different shades of sidegrade at best. Elysium changed and upped the game for me. Our preferences don't totally align, but they do more often than they don't and especially on the fundamentals-- on account of that I think you will love these. They do love power so hopefully you've got a good source. Can't wait to get them out to you and hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #652 of 775
@rockwell The commitment comment was more tongue in cheek as in the last year our paths have been quite different with me going through gear like mad and you with your rock in the Solaris SE.
Anyway, I’m very excited to hear something that has so thoroughly captivated you.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #653 of 775
So last Thursday I was just finishing a 3-week loaner stint with the MEST, an IEM I liked about as much as I could like an IEM without it making me want to sell off my gear to purchase one. The VE tour kit came in that day but I wasn't feeling that excited about it-- I've already bought and sold a VE8 earlier in the year and while I was curious about Ely I'd pretty much resigned myself to the thought that it probably wouldn't wow me. What I really wanted was to just sink in and spend some QT with my newly acquired Andromeda MW10 and I vainly imagined that after going through the motions the VE kit would languish in a corner as I focused on the Andromeda. Suffice to say that's not how it went down. After a couple hours with the Elysium, by the time my brain actually wrapped itself around what it was hearing, the effect it had on me was little short of cathartic and the net result was that my idea of what was possible with IEMs-- the degree of intimacy and connection they could achieve-- was so broadened and came as such a liberating shock that it feels like something of a re-birth of enthusiasm for this hobby. Suffice to say the more I listened to the Elysium the more I realized I had to have one. Presently my MW10 is on its way to Europe and my Elysium, the first IEM I've purchased new in over a year, arrived yesterday thanks to Andrew at @MusicTeck and the magic of DHL. I'm smitten!

Thanks @Barra and Vision Ears for this incredible opportunity...it certainly worked its magic on me!
chills man...chills.

Enjoy the new pickup, and HNY!

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #654 of 775
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #655 of 775
Out of all of VE's lineup: VE8 > Erlk. For me, the VE8 has the best mid-range ive heard to date and the erlk just didn't have the same meaty goodness. Sounded a little thin to my ears. However, the Erlkonig was incredible at being clean and separation of instruments.

The only real deal breaker for the VE8 is the treble hotness on some tracks. Cymbal hits blow out my ears.
I own the VE8s. I had that same problem with cymbals with the stock cable. Then, I got an upgraded silver plated copper cable and all sibilance disappeared completely. It never gets hot like it did with the stock cable. Then, I wanted to see if I could make it light and airy and so I got a gold plated silver cable and it reduced the thickness and warmth to make it bass light and really extended the treble to make them perfect for Big band jazz and Classical music. It's literally like 2 completely different TOTL IEMs. Again, no sibilance. If I had one recommendation for Vision Ears, it would be to provide a high quality cable with their IEMs like Empire Ears does. I drive them primarily with a Hugo 2/2go streaming Tidal Hifi. The only way I could be happier is if these IEMs had DD drivers for bass and subbass. If you make such an IEM, I will probably buy it sight unseen as long as its tuned similarly to the VE8s.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #656 of 775
I own the VE8s. I had that same problem with cymbals with the stock cable. Then, I got an upgraded silver plated copper cable and all sibilance disappeared completely. It never gets hot like it did with the stock cable. Then, I wanted to see if I could make it light and airy and so I got a gold plated silver cable and it reduced the thickness and warmth to make it bass light and really extended the treble to make them perfect for Big band jazz and Classical music. It's literally like 2 completely different TOTL IEMs. Again, no sibilance. If I had one recommendation for Vision Ears, it would be to provide a high quality cable with their IEMs like Empire Ears does. I drive them primarily with a Hugo 2/2go streaming Tidal Hifi. The only way I could be happier is if these IEMs had DD drivers for bass and subbass. If you make such an IEM, I will probably buy it sight unseen as long as its tuned similarly to the VE8s.
The new VE Meister might suit what you're looking for.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #657 of 775
Not sure what cable comes with the VE8, but the stock cable that comes with the Elysium is a very, very good SPC cable. It is very well made, a good looking cable, and really complements the qualities that the Elysium is known for. I found it better (with the Elysium, at least) than most of the aftermarket cables I tried with the Elysium. IMO.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #658 of 775
Not sure what cable comes with the VE8, but the stock cable that comes with the Elysium is a very, very good SPC cable. It is very well made, a good looking cable, and really complements the qualities that the Elysium is known for.

I was going to say this-- the stock cable that comes with the Elysium is incredible. It's easily the nicest stock cable I've ever received with an IEM. The only thing I'd change about it is a 4.4 termination...but adapters from 2.5 are not that hard to use or cumbersome so maybe in the big picture even this is a plus as it makes the cable more versatile for future sources.

I found it better (with the Elysium, at least) than most of the aftermarket cables I tried with the Elysium. IMO.

This is great to hear!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #659 of 775
Jan 1, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #660 of 775
It's not so much the Solaris I was committed to as finding a proper upgrade-- this finally came with the Elysium. Everything else I've tried has been different shades of sidegrade at best. Elysium changed and upped the game for me. Our preferences don't totally align, but they do more often than they don't and especially on the fundamentals-- on account of that I think you will love these. They do love power so hopefully you've got a good source. Can't wait to get them out to you and hear your thoughts.

Glad you agree the Elysium is incredible.

Everyone in my circle acted shocked when I claimed it being superior to VE8... but it’s quite immediately audible. Bass is very naturally presented, and despite not being the most gripping - it sounds very correct. Treble is on another level, and very close to the king (KSE).

Fave iem’s so far are: KSE, Ely, Z1R and MEST

70E5845F-2CA1-4368-ADBB-90C34173EB30.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back