Upgrading from AKG Q701 + NuForce Icon HDP
Dec 13, 2011 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dsp0704

Head-Fier
AKG Q701
NuForce Icon HDP Amp/Dac
Laptop: Asus G73SW-A1
Foobar2000 (Wasapi, FLAC: 24bit/44.1-96kHz)
Music Taste: Beatles/Pink Floyd/Classical (in order of preference)

I'm thinking about upgrading. I love listening to the Beatles. Especially now that I found the USB 24bit/44.1kHz Beatles Remastered albums. I listened to Mono Remastered version and I have to say this release is much better. So where would be a good place to start upgrading? I thought about getting Senn HD650 because it would be nice to have some different sounding phones to compare. Plus I heard it pairs nicely with HDP but I'm wondering if it will sound good with my music taste.

One more question. Only a week ago I started listening to 24bit music. And I have to say it made the same songs sound worlds better. After half year of listening I wasn't completely satisfied with my purchases (Q701+HDP) until now. Under Foobar setting I made output to 24bit (from 16bit) and under HDP sound properties (from system tray) to 24bit 44.1kHz (since the beatles USB songs are in this format). If I listen to 96kHz I increase settings to 24bit 96kHz. I have noticed improvement in SQ (I can't describe what I hear with my detail as you guys, but I can say it was a much needed improvement). So my question is am I doing this correctly? Is there anything else I can do to improve SQ. If so maybe I can drop my thought of upgrading for now.

Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 17
Sorry for double post but I could not edit. Anyways I have another question. I have these Pink Floyd files but they are 6 channel.. When I try to play them in Foobar I get an error msg. It won't play under Wasapi settings. But it will play with DS settings. Is there a way to play them under Wasapi setting?

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 17
6 channel audio files just won't happen under WASAPI, sorry. As far as being satisfied, what exactly about your set isn't satisfying? Is it the sound stage? Bass? Warm mids? If it's bass and better mids, then go for your HD650. I suppose you could try ASIO4ALL for a free solution but I doubt you'll hear a difference in sound. As far as set up goes, you're doing pretty good. I would've figured a NuForce HDP + AKG 70x would be one heck of a sibiliant combo but if ya love the sound then all the power to ya.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 17
I actually do like the sound that it gives. It's very detailed, very analytical but I think it maybe too bright at times especially classical music with violins. Bass is good enough but wouldn't hurt if it was gave little more. I guess I am looking for more warmth in sound but I don't even know what that would sound like. Which headphones pair good with HDP? And which amp pair good with Q701?

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 17
If you want a more full-bodied presentation, Burson 160-HA. If you want a good comparing for the HDP, HD650, they're warm and laid back, a great match given the excellent treble detail on the HDP.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 17

HDP is no slouch ~ 

1. 288mW rms @ 30 Ohm
  2. 210mW rms @ 120 Ohm

Interpolate between those two points best you can to guesstimate but at 62 ohms, those

K701's would have the necessary power delivered. Voltage swing is another story, those
     statistics are not published. Your issue is with the quality of your material or the occasionally
     strident nature of the K701's ~ The HDP is fairly warm and forgiving, upgrading to a more clear
     and neutral amplifier like the Violectric series, Lehmann and others will only worsen your issue.

There is one answer ~ tubes! Maybe a Woo Audio 6 if you're into a bit of vacuum tube warmth.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 17
Please ignore addy888 he has been reported for SPAM.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 17
I'm ordering a Hifiman EF2a this holiday season, I wish I had it already so I could recommend it but from all accounts it has been awesome for introducing some life into the analytical headphones (K701, DT880, HD600)

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 17
i heard the HDP's DAC section isn't very good, narrow soundstage and cold sounding. i think you should upgrade your DAC and possibly the amplifier too. m-stage is cosidered a very good warm amplifier that pairs well with k701. i heard the Rega and Eastern Electric are very good neutral while slightly warm DACs. the DACmini is considered a very good DAC+Amp combination.  it's not warm but i think it would sound better than the HDP.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
i heard the HDP's DAC section isn't very good, narrow soundstage and cold sounding. i think you should upgrade your DAC and possibly the amplifier too. m-stage is cosidered a very good warm amplifier that pairs well with k701. i heard the Rega DAC and Eastern Electric DACs are very good neutral while slightly warm DACs. the DACmini is considered a very good DAC+Amp combination.  it's not warm but i think it would sound better than the HDP.

Better DAC's for sure but in a completely different price range

For example the Rega DAC sells for $999USD on it's own while the Nuforce HDP is a competent Dac/amp for $500 odd USD.

I found the HDP DAC to be a sweeter listen than the Cambridge DacMagic Plus - now that's a woeful Dac/amp.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 17
yes you're right about the Rega but the Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and Centrance DACmini are 750$. the DACmini is a better deal but it's also less warm than the Minimax.
i heard the DacMagic isn't very good compared to newer DACs in it's price range. i don't know about the Plus though.

Quote:
 Better DAC's for sure but in a completely different price range

For example the Rega DAC sells for $999USD on it's own while the Nuforce HDP is a competent Dac/amp for $500 odd USD.

I found the HDP DAC to be a sweeter listen than the Cambridge DacMagic Plus - now that's a woeful Dac/amp.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 17

One to consider, I'll get a quick impression up next week is the AudioLab M-DAC ~ it's a Sabre 9018 DAC with a Class A
 amp section.

Might not mean much to many, but What HiFi gave it 5 stars and crowned it DAC of the year for 2011.

Will see if the hype equals the actual performance ~ but this could one of the better high end DAC/Amp solutions
 out there for not much more than $1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back