Upgrades for the RE0s
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

psgarcha92

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
i have a pair of RE ZEROs, and am thinking of buying the 0s again, as i love the analytical sound signature, and everything they have.
now, at the same time i am thinking, why not go for an upgrade rather than going for the 0s again?
i've seen the DBA02s, and i think these might be upgrade to the 0s, but what other options do i have?
treble and clarity are extremely necessary,
i have a Sansa Fuze, and in sometime, would have a Mini^3 amp in my hands too.

Thanks

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 15
should the RE-262 be in the list? am "thinking" of having a budget with the upper limit at 160USD.
or should i go RE0 again, and amp it, play with it for another year, and then come back and upgrade?

also, what about the availability of the CK10s? i read in another thread that they have been discontinued....

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Radiohead, ur a rich kid for sure.
How much did ur Etymotic ER4S cost you?
C'mon guys, what should i go for?i am for the love of analytical, would the dba02s be fine?rather better than the 0s?i mean properly amped 0s?
Any other options i have? VSonic GR7, labor of love iems. Are these analytical?

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Radiohead, ur a rich kid for sure.
How much did ur Etymotic ER4S cost you?
C'mon guys, what should i go for?i am for the love of analytical, would the dba02s be fine?rather better than the 0s?i mean properly amped 0s?
Any other options i have? VSonic GR7, labor of love iems. Are these analytical?

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 15
DBA-02 would be an excellent choice.. as would the GR07.  The GR07 has a smoother, "stage monitor" friendly, signature.. great treble detail and extension, though.  Its more balanced than the RE0 (much better bass presence & texture, and extends just as deep) & sounds excellent unamped (RE0 needs an amp to shine).  Neutrality is the name of the game with the GR07.. the DBA is a bit more musical but doesn't have the bass presence the GR07 does.

The Brainwavz B2 might be a viable alternative to the DBA-02, since the DBA seems hard to find (in stock) at the moment.

I've got both the GR07 & DBA and find them very complimentary.. and would certainly have an EXTREMELY hard time choosing between the two.. so you couldn't go wrong with either.

If you want a phone with a brighter sig, the DBA would be the choice.  If you want more neutrality and value bass presence, GR07.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 15
RE262 is definitely not analytical - it is very warm, smooth, non-fatiguing with a relaxed treble. If you can afford it, I highly recommend JVC FX700. You may or may not like it, but it's a must try IMO. I also used to prefer mostly "analytical" 'phones until I heard the FX700 which redefined the meaning of analytical for me. I now no longer consider analytical as necessarily a flat sound with a bright treble. With FX700, I can hear all the detail as clearly separated and defined as with the best neutral IEMs I've heard, such as DBA-02 or the RE0, but with an absolutely awesome bass that's very powerful, but at the same time very natural sounding without overpowering the rest of the spectrum. The RE0 has no sub bass by comparison, while DBA-02 is not only missing some sub bass, but also yields to FX700 in bass quality as well IMO.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 15
@flysweep, which one of the two, the DBA02 and the GR07 gets better with amping?which of the above has more texture and detail, even if just slightly more than the other?
The DBA02 is BA based and i am tempted to try that first. Saying that it is Dual Balanced Armature, does it mean that one earpiece has 2 BA drivers? Also, the DBA02s are more musical than the GR07s, can anyone compare them to the ZEROs i have?i like more thin sounding iems, more like the 0s and not like the ZEROs.
Is the GR07 more of the 0s than the DBA02s?

I'd like to try the FX700 even, but wish i could get these for auditioning atleast.

I have a Sansa Fuze as my source which won't change for quite some time, if that also lowers the list of recommended iems.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 15
@flysweep, which one of the two, the DBA02 and the GR07 gets better with amping?which of the above has more texture and detail, even if just slightly more than the other?
The DBA02 is BA based and i am tempted to try that first. Saying that it is Dual Balanced Armature, does it mean that one earpiece has 2 BA drivers? Also, the DBA02s are more musical than the GR07s, can anyone compare them to the ZEROs i have?i like more thin sounding iems, more like the 0s and not like the ZEROs.
Is the GR07 more of the 0s than the DBA02s?

The two amps I use (the Headstage Arrow & the Audinst HUD-MX1) are very neutral, transparent amps.. these don't lean to the warm or cool side of neutral, instead aiming to stay true to the source as much as possible.. they do a great job of preserving the signature of the phones used with them.  Both phones sound EXCELLENT unamped from my iPhone 4.  That being said, I'd say the GR07 improves more with amping.  Note that it's not even close to a night & day difference vs. being unamped, but it's noticeable.  The DBA improves too, but to a less degree.

Re: detail & texturing, it's really a toss up, between the two.  The DBA's BAs provide abundant crispness & speed.  This coupled with their slightly aggressive presentation helps in picking out microdetail easier.  Once the GR07's drivers are burned in sufficiently, they show surprising speed, excellent end to end extension, well rounded timbre.. all this contributes to revealing top notch microdetail for dynamic driver while maintaining a smoother overall sound.  I'd classify the detail retrieval for both phones at the top of their class (<$200), but they present that detail in different ways.

Both the DBA & GR07 have a very 3D quality to their sound.  The GR07's calling card is it's ability to show the layers in music.. which it does better than any phone at it's price point, and arguably a price point above.  Texturing is really a toss up too.. both texture wonderfully.  The EVER so slight edge might go to the GR07 b/c it's got more bass presence, weight, and decay which helps to round the mids and bass.

It's quite tough to pit the GR07 against the DBA because they're phones with different signatures and aim to achieve different things in their presentation of sound.  It really comes down to how much you value bass presence (b/c that is the biggest point of contention in the DBA for many).  The GR07 has astonishing balance and neutrality.. reference level, IMO.  It's tuned for stage use so listener fatigue shouldn't be an issue.  The DBA is also a balanced phone, with a brighter, aggressive (yet smooth) sound.. this paradox in sound is precisely why I (and many others) like it so much.  Rarely does one come across such a musical phone that is aggressive, but non-fatiguing at the same time like the DBA is (the caveat being: correct fit is of SUPREME importance with the DBA!).

I haven't heard the RE0 but feel like I have a fairly good idea of what they sound like based on the abundance of reviews here.  The speed of the DBA will probably allow it to approximate closer to the thinner sound you like from the RE0 moreso than the GR07.  The DBA's mids are by no means thin, though.. only comparatively to the GR07.. and even this is quite arguable.  The GR07 is neither thin nor thick sounding.. it's really, quite freakishly, balanced and neutral across the fq range.

The things that would help make the decision easier are to know what kind of music you listen to & what kind of sig you're interested in.  If you listen to music that requires more bass presence & longer decay (i.e.hip hop, reggae), the GR07 would be the better choice of the two.. though I am a hip hop head and listen to plenty of hp hop with the DBA.. gosh, I'm not making this easy.. lol.

I'd say the DBA is more akin to the RE0 than the GR07 is, but that isn't implying the RE0 & DBA share a signature.  Others who have heard the RE0 & DBA could articulate better.

If you held a gun to my head and made me choose between the DBA & GR07.. you'd probably just end up pulling the trigger cause I would take too long to answer.. lol.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 15
There is also the Phonak PFE, not quite as aggressive as DBA-02 on the treble but still plenty analytical. It has one thing the DBA-02 can't quite match, a very good soundstage.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Hey man we met again,  So you are deciding to upgrade from RE0. Hmm i have RE262, you could auditon them ,, but one side has stopped  working.
How  is Amarbir with replacements? You have returned your RE0, any problems from him?

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 15
@dilpal, yup, luking for a viable upgrade.
I'd like auditioning them, but u are located in Amritsar right?

He's good with handling replacements, just don't bug him too much asking when the replacement will be delivered and stuff.i called him 3 times, pissed him off.
And this cable breaking seems the tendency of the RE series.and hey,word of caution, get a 262 in place of the broken ones, and no other.i took the ZEROs inplace of the 0s and regret it big time.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Check ur inbox and drop me a msg if u can.
Hey, dont worry BTW, if u'd be in chandigarh on 8th, i bet he'd replace before 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back