Upgrade from SRH-840
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Swatcsi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an upgrade for my SRH-840's, I would like something with a similar sound signature, but better. I would like something that can provide me with the most detail, and be very honest, no exaggeration of the bass, mid or treble, I want to hear the song the way it was ment to be heard.

What I'm Looking for:

- Closed
- A step up from the SRH-840's
- Very Detailed
- Very Honest/Neutral
- Less than $1400; Cheaper the better

Thanks

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 33
Sep 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 33
Heya,

Hrm. Just noticed he's in Canada. Ouch. Customs are going to be absolutely torture for a $1k headphone my friend. I used to live up there. Maybe that is included in your overall budget of $1400? Get $600 headphones, a $400 amp, and the other $400 to taxes & customs?

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 33
Honest and neutral are actually very subjective.  For example, people think both the LCD-2 and HD800 are neutral and they couldn't sound more different. 

Try making a pros and cons list for your SRH840.  The more you say about sound quality the better your recommendations will be.  Avoid subjective words like "better". 

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
Honest and neutral are actually very subjective.  For example, people think both the LCD-2 and HD800 are neutral and they couldn't sound more different. 

Try making a pros and cons list for your SRH840.  The more you say about sound quality the better your recommendations will be.  Avoid subjective words like "better". 

alright, so here are the pro's and con's:

Pros:
- Very good detail for headphone in it's price range
- Very honest, they sound as if there is no "extra" bass or treble, it seems to have a really balanced sound.

Cons:
- Could be better quality
- Comfort/Size

basically what I would like is something with an extreme amount of detail, and it has to be closed. Overall I would like a headphone that does what the SRH-840 does so well, and do it better(sorry can't think of another word), and have a similar sound signature

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 33

Quote:
alright, so here are the pro's and con's:

Pros:
- Very good detail for headphone in it's price range
- Very honest, they sound as if there is no "extra" bass or treble, it seems to have a really balanced sound.

Cons:
- Could be better quality
- Comfort/Size

basically what I would like is something with an extreme amount of detail, and it has to be closed. Overall I would like a headphone that does what the SRH-840 does so well, and do it better(sorry can't think of another word), and have a similar sound signature

Heya,

Try the AKG K272 HD, it's velour and closed back, very good in terms of what you're after. It's only $200. Otherwise, again, I'll say explore the new Beyer T70 if you want to spend three times the cost.

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 33
i don't want to piss anyone off here, but the problem isn't your 840.
the problem is your source and amp.
an ipod, right?

why don't you invest in a decent dac and a nice amp with that $1400?

trust me.  the SRH840 scales up incredibly well.
i listen to mine each and every day from an Apex Peak/Volcano.  and the sound is world class.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
i don't want to piss anyone off here, but the problem isn't your 840.
the problem is your source and amp.
an ipod, right?

why don't you invest in a decent dac and a nice amp with that $1400?

trust me.  the SRH840 scales up incredibly well.
i listen to mine each and every day from an Apex Peak/Volcano.  and the sound is world class.

My source is lossless files or 320kbps mp3, and yes its straight from a macbook pro. I understand that a good dac and amp is what will make it much much better, but when I do buy these components, I might as well have headphone's to match. I have already done research into which amp and dac Im getting now I just need some new headphones to go with them.

DAC options:
Meier StageDAC
MHDT Havana
Benchmark DAC 1 USB

AMP:
Schiit Lyr
Meier Corda Classic

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:
Audeze LCD 2 look good for tht price

What? 
1.  he said closed.
2.  the LCD-2 are one of the finest headphones ever made.
3.  you need to read the post before responding.  and you don't need to recommend headhpones you haven't heard.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:
Otherwise, again, I'll say get the new Beyer T70 if you want to spend three times the cost.

but, Malveaux.  who has really heard the T70. 
wink.gif

i mean, besides vendors and the like.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
Heya

Try the AKG K272 HD, it's velour and closed back, very good in terms of what you're after. It's only $200. Otherwise, again, I'll say get the new Beyer T70 if you want to spend three times the cost.

Very best,

IME the K272 doesn't have the same balance of bass and treble as the SRH840, it has significantly less bass, though the velours do help.  But it's not a big upgrade, it's more of a sidegrade, a different flavor. 

Seems like the OP wants something with the same frequency response and tone as the SRH840 but better in technical areas.  I'd say amp and source is a good way to go, because I don't know of many headphones that fit this requirement.  There aren't many balanced sounding closed phones.  I haven't heard the T70 but from what I've read it doesn't seem like it shares a similar balance to the SRH840.  From what I've read, the Ultrasone Edition 8 might be your best bet if you really want a new headphone, and it's fairly easy to drive as well.  Or the JVC DX1000.  But I haven't heard either, that's just what I've gathered from what I've read. 

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 33

Quote:

My source is lossless files or 320kbps mp3, and yes its straight from a macbook pro. I understand that a good dac and amp is what will make it much much better, but when I do buy these components, I might as well have headphone's to match. I have already done research into which amp and dac Im getting now I just need some new headphones to go with them.

DAC options:
Meier StageDAC
MHDT Havana
Benchmark DAC 1 USB

AMP:
Schiit Lyr
Meier Corda Classic

okay.  you're doing your homework.
but, i will warn you:
closed headphones is the most disappointing realm of head-fi.
because there's basically not one that gets everything right.
i have heard lots of them.  including the Edition 8 and D7000.  own them both.
and they are both fun and do certain things well.

but my everyday headphone that i listen to while at work is the SRH840.  because it is effectively neutral and detailed.

from a stagedac and peak/volcano.

the stagedac is BOSS for $750.
don't let anyone tell you differently.
without a doubt, the most musical and smoothest source under a thousand bucks.

best of luck in your search.
but, why not get the dac and amp first, so you can see what effect it has on your lowly little Shures. 
wink.gif

I say that with tongue firmly planted in cheek.  i think you're gonna be amazed how much they improve.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 33
beat me to it.  exactly my sentiments, RD.
just better put.

Quote:
IME the K272 doesn't have the same balance of bass and treble as the SRH840, it has significantly less bass, though the velours do help.  But it's not a big upgrade, it's more of a sidegrade, a different flavor. 

Seems like the OP wants something with the same frequency response and tone as the SRH840 but better in technical areas.  I'd say amp and source is a good way to go, because I don't know of many headphones that fit this requirement.  There aren't many balanced sounding closed phones.  I haven't heard the T70 but from what I've read it doesn't seem like it shares a similar balance to the SRH840.  From what I've read, the Ultrasone Edition 8 might be your best bet if you really want a new headphone, and it's fairly easy to drive as well.  Or the JVC DX1000.  But I haven't heard either, that's just what I've gathered from what I've read. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back