Upgrade from SE215, Recommendations
Oct 5, 2017 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TikantiXD

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi(ers)!

As the title suggests, I'm looking to upgrade from the Shure SE-215. I have a small portable amplifier if needed, but I'd like to avoid carrying it around if possible.

Qualifications, in order of importance:

- In-Ears, with over-ear cable
- Under $200
- Durability matching the Shure SE215
- MMCX or EPIC/2-pin removable cables, though MMCX takes the priority here
- Comfortable, like the SE215
- Bass level/quantity between the Shure SE-215 and Sony MDR-XB90EX

Music tastes include:

A Day To Remember
Excision (not very much, but I like to every so often)
Three Days Grace
Gorillaz
Mayday Parade
Born Of Osiris
Neck Deep
Kai Wachi
(Mainly anything post-hardcore, alternative, rock, or punk)

Reasoning:

I've owned the Shure SE-215 for four years now, and after one replacement cable, they still work great. The durability is amazing on these, something I intend to stick with. These were my first real pair of great sounding earphones.

In addition, I own Sony's MDR-XB90EX, which I find to be less enjoyable than the 215's. I find that an amp is required to really enjoy them, and while the bass is great, the rest is just...not. They are uncomfortable and give me migraines. Great for dubstep and to show people dubstep songs. Every-day listening... Nope.

I've tried someone's Beats by Dre urBeats, but the lack of clarity and horrible durability turned me off. I've also tried someone's Bose IE2 (i think), but i found it had no bass and horrible (again, horrible) durability.

Possibilities include (in their order of my interest)...

Simgot EN700 Pro
Cons:
- Not released
- Too few reviews, if none at all at the time of writing

iBasso IT03
Cons:
- Harder to drive

Shure SE215LTD
Cons:
- Worried about Shure coming out with a new series soon
- Unsure about bass level
- Shorter cable length

Macaw GT600
Cons:
- Harder to drive

VSonic GR07 Bass (2017 detachable version)
Cons:
- Too few reviews
- Might not have enough bass

Simgot EN700 Bass
Cons:
- No detachable cable
- May lack bass

RHA T10
Cons:
- No removable cables
- Might be fatiguing
- Unsure about durability

RHA T20
Cons:
- Not sure about bass on these
- No removable cables

Dunu Titan 5

LZ A4

LZ A83

Feel free to recommend anything else as well!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 20
Great to see a Mayday Parade fan here :D saw them live the other day.

Now I'm going to throw another headphone into your list which I would pick over any of the above you listed.

It should be available worldwide this month, the Simgot EN700 Pro, it has enough bass warmth to be enjoyable but is very refined and well balanced overall. A true all-rounder and extremely comfortable.

Similar to the EN700 Bass so read up on those, but the Pro version has detachable cables and is a bit more neutral sounding.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 20
Great to see a Mayday Parade fan here :D saw them live the other day.

Now I'm going to throw another headphone into your list which I would pick over any of the above you listed.

It should be available worldwide this month, the Simgot EN700 Pro, it has enough bass warmth to be enjoyable but is very refined and well balanced overall. A true all-rounder and extremely comfortable.

Similar to the EN700 Bass so read up on those, but the Pro version has detachable cables and is a bit more neutral sounding.

I liked what I read about the EN700 Bass (aside from it's lack of detachable cables), but I won't know about the EN700 Pro until some reviews pop-up. One thing I did notice was that the colors designating the side were...odd. Usually left is blue, and right is red...

I will add your recommendation to the list.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 20
I liked what I read about the EN700 Bass (aside from it's lack of detachable cables), but I won't know about the EN700 Pro until some reviews pop-up. One thing I did notice was that the colors designating the side were...odd. Usually left is blue, and right is red...

I will add your recommendation to the list.

If you read about the EN700 Bass you will get a very good idea of the sound as they are essentially the same with a slightly different cable. All this does is add a tiny bit more detail, but they are still a smooth and easy listen, superb for the price.

Also they changed it, my pair has red for the right and blue for the left :D

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 20
If you read about the EN700 Bass you will get a very good idea of the sound as they are essentially the same with a slightly different cable. All this does is add a tiny bit more detail, but they are still a smooth and easy listen, superb for the price.

Also they changed it, my pair has red for the right and blue for the left :D

Have you heard the iBasso IT03? It's a tad bit over my price range, but I am leaning between it and your recommendation (though yours is out of stock on Penon Audio)

Oct 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 20
Have you heard the iBasso IT03? It's a tad bit over my price range, but I am leaning between it and your recommendation (though yours is out of stock on Penon Audio)

I haven't but there will be others who have. The IT03 is supposed to be a little brighter in presentation, the Simgot smoother.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 20
I haven't but there will be others who have. The IT03 is supposed to be a little brighter in presentation, the Simgot smoother.

I do hope somebody else chimes in as well. It may take a few more days.

I understand the meaning of bright, and I do believe you intend smoother as in the opposite of bright, but could you describe smooth? The only smooth sounding music I've heard came from some Bose IE2, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 20
I do hope somebody else chimes in as well. It may take a few more days.

I understand the meaning of bright, and I do believe you intend smoother as in the opposite of bright, but could you describe smooth? The only smooth sounding music I've heard came from some Bose IE2, but I don't think that's what you mean.

The Simgot are smooth in a way that means the treble is present but without any big spikes that could cause fatigue.

The bass is slightly more present than other frequencies without being too dominant, it adds body without taking away too much detail.

They are not muddy like the Bose you listened to.

Oct 5, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 20
The Simgot are smooth in a way that means the treble is present but without any big spikes that could cause fatigue.

The bass is slightly more present than other frequencies without being too dominant, it adds body without taking away too much detail.

They are not muddy like the Bose you listened to.

Looks good to me. I am really leaning toward those over everything else, however, I will not stop my search here. I'm going to wait and see what others say as well.

How is the 2-pin/EPIC cable compared to the MMCX?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 20
Looks good to me. I am really leaning toward those over everything else, however, I will not stop my search here. I'm going to wait and see what others say as well.

How is the 2-pin/EPIC cable compared to the MMCX?

Again I personally prefer 2-pin, they are stronger in my opinion and don't wear out as quickly if you change cables a lot.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 20
Again I personally prefer 2-pin, they are stronger in my opinion and don't wear out as quickly if you change cables a lot.

Great.

I emailed Penon Audio, and they have the Simgot EN700 Pro in stock for $149.99 (though their website says differently). Thank you for your time, I'm sure these will be amazing.

Now I wait for a friend to pay me back so that I can get them. -.-

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 20
Great.

I emailed Penon Audio, and they have the Simgot EN700 Pro in stock for $149.99 (though their website says differently). Thank you for your time, I'm sure these will be amazing.

Now I wait for a friend to pay me back so that I can get them. -.-

You'll be impressed coming from the SE215, give them time to burn in too

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 20
Hi head-fi(ers)!

As the title suggests, I'm looking to upgrade from the Shure SE-215. I have a small portable amplifier if needed, but I'd like to avoid carrying it around if possible.

Qualifications, in order of importance:

- In-Ears, with over-ear cable
- Under $200
- Durability matching the Shure SE215
- MMCX or EPIC/2-pin removable cables, though MMCX takes the priority here
- Comfortable, like the SE215
- Bass level/quantity between the Shure SE-215 and Sony MDR-XB90EX

Music tastes include:

A Day To Remember
Excision (not very much, but I like to every so often)
Three Days Grace
Gorillaz
Mayday Parade
Born Of Osiris
Neck Deep
Kai Wachi
(Mainly anything post-hardcore, alternative, rock, or punk)

Reasoning:

I've owned the Shure SE-215 for four years now, and after one replacement cable, they still work great. The durability is amazing on these, something I intend to stick with. These were my first real pair of great sounding earphones.

In addition, I own Sony's MDR-XB90EX, which I find to be less enjoyable than the 215's. I find that an amp is required to really enjoy them, and while the bass is great, the rest is just...not. They are uncomfortable and give me migraines. Great for dubstep and to show people dubstep songs. Every-day listening... Nope.

I've tried someone's Beats by Dre urBeats, but the lack of clarity and horrible durability turned me off. I've also tried someone's Bose IE2 (i think), but i found it had no bass and horrible (again, horrible) durability.

Possibilities include (in their order of my interest)...

Simgot EN700 Pro
Cons:
- Not released
- Too few reviews, if none at all at the time of writing

iBasso IT03
Cons:
- Harder to drive

Shure SE215LTD
Cons:
- Worried about Shure coming out with a new series soon
- Unsure about bass level
- Shorter cable length

Macaw GT600
Cons:
- Harder to drive

VSonic GR07 Bass (2017 detachable version)
Cons:
- Too few reviews
- Might not have enough bass

Simgot EN700 Bass
Cons:
- No detachable cable
- May lack bass

RHA T10
Cons:
- No removable cables
- Might be fatiguing

RHA T20
Cons:
- Not sure about bass on these
- No removable cables

Dunu Titan 5

LZ A4

LZ A83

Feel free to recommend anything else as well!
Hi can I buy ur Sony xb90ex .plz message me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back