Upgrade from Fiio E10
Nov 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
LCD 2 is my next target too...even I am quite fine with HD598 now...what is the price of rev2 in the states now? waiting for your coment for LCD 2+ O2+ODAC...

Need to wait until they arrive (this is going to take several weeks actually). 
frown.gif
 The price is the same as usual (995 USD I guess) but I was successful in getting them absolutely new, unpacked for 880 including shipping and fees (US). Now I need to get them from States but have a plan already.

In my opinion, if you are after perfect neutrality (i.e. you want to hear the source, not the gear), O2 + ODAC + headphones like Audeze LCD-2 (or Hifiman HE-500) are going to work absolutely fantastic, based on objective measurements from sources like Innerfidelity or headphone.com. When I'll finally receive LCD-2, I am not interesting in any other upgrades related to the hardware part of my audio chain for several years at least. You absolutely don't need anything like tube amps etc. if you are after fidelity (as close to source as possible) and not distortion (even though it can be pleasing as you can see with vinyl or already mentioned tube amps). You already have objectively fantastic amp and DAC so you should get a very nice pair of headphones to get the best out of your multimedia.

As for Stax or LCD-3, they must be stunning but honestly, they are definitely not worth the money... If you try to properly EQ your HD598 and then compare with some high-end, you are most probably going to realise that the difference between 50 dollars and 5000 dollars is definitely not DRAMATICALLY high. Just my opinion...

To finish up, I am really glad you decided to purchase O2+ODAC... Absolutely worth every dollar.

Will give you my opinion on LCD-2 as well later :)

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Need to wait until they arrive (this is going to take several weeks actually). 
frown.gif
 The price is the same as usual (995 USD I guess) but I was successful in getting them absolutely new, unpacked for 880 including shipping and fees (US). Now I need to get them from States but have a plan already.。。。。

Many thanks for the sharing...

Both HE500 and LCD 2 are attracting me, and really wating for your comment on them...but before I get one of them, I am waiting for the cable, which I have order, for connecting O2 to my Roland R1, iPAD, and iPod Touch...they are definitely not portable, but I am curious abot what kind sounds will flow out.... 

Nov 24, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 22
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 22
Currently, my devices are laptop pc + O2 (DAC +amp) + HD 598. I also just bought a B&W P3 for the potable phone...

If I would buy a LCD 2, should I upgrade the laptop and O2?

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
Currently, my devices are laptop pc + O2 (DAC +amp) + HD 598. I also just bought a B&W P3 for the potable phone...

If I would buy a LCD 2, should I upgrade the laptop and O2?

Well, it depends on what you are looking for...

I would definitely suggest you to get ODAC, it will blow you away by its performance (it's powered by usb cable).

And if you are after completely neutral and transparent amplifier, get O2 along as well. I have the combo right here and absolutely love it, regardless the music I am listening.

However, you may want to use different amp (tube or coloured a bit) so at best, try to read up and/or ask here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556585/portable-amp-for-lcd2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626739/audeze-lcd-2-best-amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back