UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Jan 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #556 of 1,096
PS: I got the B-Stock 3MOVE that I bought, which was a demo returned by one of Jan's customers. It sounds already burned-in, but Jan recommends 100-150 hours for burn-in so i will do that much anyway.

Later I will compare it to the Predator, Pico, and XM5 while my D3 and D2 Boa and Nuforce are with Skylab. So far it sounds a little more forward than the XM5 but both are very good with my woodied recabled D2000. These two amps also have the exact same DAC.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #557 of 1,096
Thanks for the updates and can't wait for your official reviews/comparisons with the XM5 and 3Move!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #558 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the updates and can't wait for your official reviews/comparisons with the XM5 and 3Move!
smily_headphones1.gif

My writeup is well under way, and is longer than it needs to be, as usual. (so far 6.5 pages in MS Word with 1" margins all around).
eek.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #560 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hpa do u think a pico wud pair up well with hd600s?

Yeah the Pico is fairly good with them for a portable amp
tongue.gif

With the review I am going to post soon, I did spend some time with HD600 on the Pico, Predator, XM5 and 3MOVE, so keep an eye out for that soon.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #561 of 1,096
Jan 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #564 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is 3 AM and I cannot stop listening to the XM5 with Edition 9. Help!

I will help you my friend!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Ship both to me and you will be able to sleep.
wink.gif

Pd: Do not forget to include the original boxes and stuff included by their respective manufacturers.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #565 of 1,096
Very good job Larry.

I noticed that you mention listening with the crossfeed set by default. I don't remember how mine was set, I instantly began turning it to full mono to hear that and then moving it to minimum. I prefer to leave it at that minimum setting (full counter clockwise).

At this setting it is a very subtle but very effective. I used to own a Porta Corda MkIII-USB and I thought the crossfeed was excellent. I can only assume that the current Meier amps use the same circuit.

I currently have a Corda Cross-1 crossfeed which I use with my main rig for comparison. The XM5 crossfeed is equally effective for me although I haven't done any critical testing between the two.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #566 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will help you my friend!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Ship both to me and you will be able to sleep.
wink.gif

Pd: Do not forget to include the original boxes and stuff included by their respective manufacturers.
evil_smiley.gif

No worries mate! The solution was to fall asleep with the music...

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #567 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good job Larry.

I noticed that you mention listening with the crossfeed set by default. I don't remember how mine was set, I instantly began turning it to full mono to hear that and then moving it to minimum. I prefer to leave it at that minimum setting (full counter clockwise).

At this setting it is a very subtle but very effective. I used to own a Porta Corda MkIII-USB and I thought the crossfeed was excellent. I can only assume that the current Meier amps use the same circuit.

I currently have a Corda Cross-1 crossfeed which I use with my main rig for comparison. The XM5 crossfeed is equally effective for me although I haven't done any critical testing between the two.

Actually I did back off the default setting a bit for the review - as default the flat part of the xfeed knob was at about 2 o'clock and now it is turned down to 12 o'clock.

Basically the XM5 Xfeed still improved the extreme L-R spread program material to reduce the "pressure" effect on the opposite ear, but the effect was a little different as I described in my review. I still cannot listen to that CD without crossfeed, but with the XM5 and 3MOVE or Micro Amp I can. The XM5 seems to bring the far left/right instruments closer to center stage, but they also feel closer to the listener to me; while the 3MOVE brings the far left/right instruments around closer to the center but not closer to the listener. This sounds just like my Headfive crossfeed as well. My Headroom Micro Amp crossfeed is closer to the Meier crossfeed but unlike the Meier which does not change the tonality or frequency response, the Headroom's sound seems to get warmer and slightly more rolled off.

I have the Corda Cross kit, but haven't sourced the parts list or case for it yet, and will need to hire someone to assemble it for me.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #568 of 1,096
Larry, have you ever had an opportunity to listen to the O1 Amp/Dac? It is not a portable/transportable because it needs to be powered from the mains but it is a very nice sounding unit. At one time it sold for $299 and later it was re-labeled as the Octavart Amp/Dac.

If interested let me know and I will send it your way.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #569 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, have you ever had an opportunity to listen to the O1 Amp/Dac? It is not a portable/transportable because it needs to be powered from the mains but it is a very nice sounding unit. At one time it sold for $299 and later it was re-labeled as the Octavart Amp/Dac.

If interested let me know and I will send it your way.

I appreciate the offer. I need to take a break right now, and also decide if I will start to include desktop DAC amps or not. Right now I want to wait a while and just breathe before I do the next DAC amp.

I'm a little frustrated by my difficulty ranking the top amps, because depending on the headphone and music, any of the amps could switch places between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you asked me to get rid of any of the amps in 1st - 3rd, other than the D2 Viper that was redundant I would be unable to pick. The Pico and Micro DAC are my best small portable DACs, the Predator is my smallest and favorite amp but not favorite DAC, but the XM5 and 3MOVE really stand out with synergy with certain headphones or music.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #570 of 1,096
Hi Larry - HeadphoneAddict,

Thank you for the excellent reviews on the portable DAC/Amp's. I have a HD-580, and recently purchased and am enjoying a V1 from Vivid Technology based on your your reviews.

In response to your "decide if I will start to include desktop DAC amps or not" in your Jan 4 posting, it would be great if could review desktop DAC Amps and share with us your experience and opinion.

Please, include CA DACMagic among your selections, and keep up the good work ... thanks/e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back