UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Dec 18, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #496 of 1,096
Yeah, most people wont be plugging in HD600, cranking the volume to 100% and sticking them under a pillow. Most of the time, 15 hours with a nice IEM at normal volumes is enough to fly to Hawaii and back on one charge.
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #497 of 1,096
I went ahead and ordered an Icon Mobile. I'll see how it compares with my lyrix after a day of burn in when it comes then I'll let it burn in over the holidays. Thanks again for the great indepth review Larry. Your dedicated reviews are really invaluable for the head-fi community
smile_phones.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #498 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went ahead and ordered an Icon Mobile. I'll see how it compares with my lyrix after a day of burn in when it comes then I'll let it burn in over the holidays. Thanks again for the great indepth review Larry. Your dedicated reviews are really invaluable for the head-fi community
smile_phones.gif

The Icon needs about 180-200 hours to compare to the Lyrix, and the main advantage will be the Icon's DAC has more micro-detail and the amp section will sound more forward than the Lyrix. The Lyrix on the other hand will have more power, but doesn't mate as well with headphones with recessed mids like the Denon D2000, Proline 2500, Darth Beyer - where the Nuforce will sound a little more like the Meier Headsix and fill in the mids nicely. And, the Lyrix bass can be a little too much with the Denon D2000 and over power the D2000 slight recessed mids, while the Nuforce is just right with the D2000 (even woodied recabled ones like mine) and the bass and mids are better matched to each other. With the D2000 the Nuforce comes very close to matching the power of the Lyrix, where with HD600 a bigger difference in power is noticed.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #499 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Icon needs about 180-200 hours to compare to the Lyrix, and the main advantage will be the Icon's DAC has more micro-detail and the amp section will sound more forward than the Lyrix. The Lyrix on the other hand will have more power, but doesn't mate as well with headphones with recessed mids like the Denon D2000, Proline 2500, Darth Beyer - where the Nuforce will sound a little more like the Meier Headsix and fill in the mids nicely. And, the Lyrix bass can be a little too much with the Denon D2000 and over power the D2000 slight recessed mids, while the Nuforce is just right with the D2000 (even woodied recabled ones like mine) and the bass and mids are better matched to each other. With the D2000 the Nuforce comes very close to matching the power of the Lyrix, where with HD600 a bigger difference in power is noticed.

That's great information because over the past week or so I've been considering purchasing a pair of d2000 at the end of next semester.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and I'll definitely let the Nuforce burn in for the 200 hour mark. The only thing that I feel is lacking from my lyrix is the dac as you mentioned in your review. Once the Nuforce gets settled in I'll likely enjoy it more than the lyrix due to the more foward sounding dac.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #500 of 1,096
After about a month of searching for something to go with my D2000's, I think I'm going to purchase this as both my first DAC and amp. Going to wait on the order until Friday to get the new casing. It seems like this $100 investment will provide everything I have been looking for: cheap, good, USB rechargeable, includes dac, synergy with D2000
biggrin.gif
Thanks again Larry!

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #501 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's great information because over the past week or so I've been considering purchasing a pair of d2000 at the end of next semester.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and I'll definitely let the Nuforce burn in for the 200 hour mark. The only thing that I feel is lacking from my lyrix is the dac as you mentioned in your review. Once the Nuforce gets settled in I'll likely enjoy it more than the lyrix due to the more foward sounding dac.

jaykay,

I'm very interested in your impressions since I am considering buying one of these two, as well as possibly an ibasso Boa. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #502 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jaykay,

I'm very interested in your impressions since I am considering buying one of these two, as well as possibly an ibasso Boa. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Sure thing! It'll take about a week after I receive the amp before I start to listen to it more critically though. I want to give it a chance to open up first. I'll be sure to give you my impressions of them compared to my lyrix.
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #504 of 1,096
Hi I have been a lurker here in headfi, have been following HeadphoneAddict's impressions and review of the Icon Mobile.
I have not too long ago purchased an HD650 and I have been looking for an amp in my budget ever-since. This leads me to my question, will the Nulforce Icon Moblie properly drive the HD650? I am aware that most if not all portable headphone amps will not drive the HD650 to it's fullest potential, as many people here say, but all I would want is better sound than that of the sound coming straight from my cowon d2.
Excuse me for my ignorance and thanks in advance for answering a rookie's question.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #505 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by KiwiChristchurch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I have been a lurker here in headfi, have been following HeadphoneAddict's impressions and review of the Icon Mobile.
I have not too long ago purchased an HD650 and I have been looking for an amp in my budget ever-since. This leads me to my question, will the Nulforce Icon Moblie properly drive the HD650? I am aware that most if not all portable headphone amps will not drive the HD650 to it's fullest potential, as many people here say, but all I would want is better sound than that of the sound coming straight from my cowon d2.
Excuse me for my ignorance and thanks in advance for answering a rookie's question.

If you read the review you'd see the tonality is good at medium volumes with 300 ohm Sennheiser, but power with them is lacking. The Pico, V1, or D3 would be better suited for HD600/650.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #506 of 1,096
Is there any negative effect to the battery life (if any) when connecting any of these amp/usb dac with built-in rechargeable battery all the time to a computer through usb cable? If so, how difficult or easy is it to change the built-in rechargeable battery?

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #507 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by bostitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any negative effect to the battery life (if any) when connecting any of these amp/usb dac with built-in rechargeable battery all the time to a computer through usb cable? If so, how difficult or easy is it to change the built-in rechargeable battery?

I have no idea. Sorry.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #508 of 1,096
From the review, it looks like the Lyrix is pretty solid if used purely as an analog amp. So long as the DAC is not used, it's quite a nice sounding amp?

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #509 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4N5H1N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the review, it looks like the Lyrix is pretty solid if used purely as an analog amp. So long as the DAC is not used, it's quite a nice sounding amp?

Yes. With some headphones like Proline 2500 and Denon D2000 or Darth Beyers the mids are still a little bit recessed, which is the fault of the headphones, but with Grado and Sennheiser and Ultrasone the mids are just fine. The DAC is decent, just not the best, it doesn't hurt the sound as much as it doesn't allow the full experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back