UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Mar 21, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #46 of 1,096
There comes a point where to decide which amp/dac you are going to get, you need to just listen to them, because everyone has different ears. Luckily, both RSA and headamp have generous return policies (not to mention great resale).

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #47 of 1,096
It is remarkable how good these portables have gotten. The one thing about the Predator is the natural quality it imparts as it sends the music on its path to your ears. It seems to transcend its solid state construction. It is as if it is made out of a fine wood, like something that had an organic beginning in life.

Organic vs silicon.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #48 of 1,096
Jam, I love reading your posts, must be that NorCal air, I'll be back in two months
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #49 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot Larry for all the informations
smily_headphones1.gif

I have finally decided to order the Predator or the Pico in the next days. From what I read on the forums, the Predator will be slightly better that the Pico for my ALO-780Vs and my RS-1 ?

Now I'll probably need to sell my Headsix and my AKG 271s to finance this new purchase.

Oh my poor wallet once again
confused.gif

If you buy the Predator,you'll be very surprised with the build quality and size,and the lifetime warranty doesnt hurt eithier!

The battery life this thing spits out is tremendous,even when using large cans that normally just inhale juice at a fast rate.Also seriously consider getting the chassis in a off color,other then black.I got mine in Black and my Wife's in Red.The pics you may have seen online of the colored ones,just do not do the final product justice,at all.Just jaw droppingly sexy in red,or blue or green.Worth the extra coin for sure !

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #50 of 1,096
I love the gold face and rear plate with a read body. It just speaks quality and is a real stand out. You can put it on display like a piece of art!

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 1,096
Thanks for the advice
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy the Predator,you'll be very surprised with the build quality and size,and the lifetime warranty doesnt hurt eithier!

The battery life this thing spits out is tremendous,even when using large cans that normally just inhale juice at a fast rate.Also seriously consider getting the chassis in a off color,other then black.I got mine in Black and my Wife's in Red.The pics you may have seen online of the colored ones,just do not do the final product justice,at all.Just jaw droppingly sexy in red,or blue or green.Worth the extra coin for sure !

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #52 of 1,096
Quote:

So, I give the Predator a 10/10. I'll give the Pico a 9.7/10 for opening the soundstage a bit and crisp detail, but with a cooler more analytical sound. The D2 has moved up from a 9.0 to a 9.4/10 for the D2 now, while still missing some of the warmth of the Predator and the final bit of transparency of the Pico. I have to give the Lyrix a 8.8/10 now. To me anything above an 8/10 is great but might not be a keeper if I have more than one amp sitting above 9/10.

Certainly appears to be diminishing return territory, when you can get the Headstage Total USB for < $200! You can buy some nice gear (separate DAC? Arietta? HD650s?) or great music for the extra $300! To each his own, but a desktop and a portable seems like a good idea to me.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #53 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly appears to be diminishing return territory, when you can get the Headstage Total USB for < $200! You can buy some nice gear (separate DAC? Arietta? HD650s?) or great music for the extra $300! To each his own, but a desktop and a portable seems like a good idea to me.

It's always about diminishing returns, and I think the leap from $200 portable DAC/amps to $500 portable DAC/amps is not huge but to some it is worth the cost (me
biggrin.gif
).

In the $200 range, it is clear to me the D2 DAC is superior to the Lyrix DAC, for about the same price, but the Lyrix has those extra features that I love so much. If the DAC and ultimate/maxx sound quality are most important, then the Predator, Pico, and D2 are the ones to set your sights on. However, if the DAC is not that important, the Lyrix is a fantastic amp for your portable source and sounds very similar to the D2 and Pico when they run via the same analog input.

Also, the Lyrix DAC is still better than the headphone out of my Macbook or any of my ipods. With a better external DAC, like my HR Micro DAC or iMod, the Lyrix amp is very good.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 1,096
The Predator has the uncanny ability to capture the body and soul of the music. I keep hunting for words to define the sound but it isn't as easy as with some amps, even those that are very good as the Predator seems to transcend.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #56 of 1,096
:O My Predator just arrived like 2 mins ago and my god I had no idea how tiny this really is. None of the pictures do justice to just how small and compact this little thing is!

As for listening, need to run and grab myself a usb cable for it, cant find one with the right connector in the house
frown.gif

EDIT: Bleh, my cables work :/ was just mixed up cos it looked slightly different. Ah well
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #57 of 1,096
Sorry for slightly off topic but does anyone know if this opamp will work with the D2 viper?

OPA2111 KP

Details:
8-pin DIP
Dual precision DiFET OpAmp
LOW NOISE: 100% Tested, 8nV/ÖHz max at 10kHz
LOW BIAS CURRENT: 4pA max
LOW OFFSET: 500mV max
LOW DRIFT: 2.8mV/°C
HIGH OPEN-LOOP GAIN: 114dB min
HIGH COMMON-MODE REJECTION: 96dB min

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2111.pdf

I had originally bought it from ebay to use with a Little Dott Mk1 but at the last second decided on a D2 instead :/

I read in a opamp rolling thread how it was a great opamp. I hope it can work with the D2??

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #58 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by onlychild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Manny,

How does the Predator sound with the ESW9s? I have heard the ESW9s are warm sounding and so is the Predator. Is it too much warmth.

Thanks

I am terribly sorry for taking so long to respond.

Its damn near perfect with the ESW9's.The ESW9's are NOT 'warm' sounding IMHO.I find them nuetral if anything.Best can under a K for near any genre.
I was not a beleiver in burn in until the ESW9's and Predator arrived... Both improved with use.

I recently had the chance to hear the competition,and now my decision to get two Predators feels sooo much better.I think many of the peeps jumping on the other bandwagon are not getting thier moneys worth,imho.I dont own an army of amps like the OP,but have a handful,and have used a handful more on a few occasions.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #59 of 1,096
UPDATE #4, 3/25/08 10:00PM - 2MOVE UPDATE

I just spent the last 7 hours with all the amps, and a well burned in 2MOVE from Skylab. I first listened them all (except the Lyrix) with the ALO modded HFI-780, then I switched to my APS re-cabled RS-1 for more detail and layering, and listened to everything again.

I used the same music as in the first test, but had to add a few more items: "Handel Messiah" conductor Christopher Hogwood, William Orbit "The Best of Strange Cargo", and various pop and hip hop artists from my kid's music.

I have rough notes and am trying to put it into paragraph form. I will post the additon soon.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #60 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for slightly off topic but does anyone know if this opamp will work with the D2 viper?

OPA2111 KP

Details:
8-pin DIP
Dual precision DiFET OpAmp
LOW NOISE: 100% Tested, 8nV/ÖHz max at 10kHz
LOW BIAS CURRENT: 4pA max
LOW OFFSET: 500mV max
LOW DRIFT: 2.8mV/°C
HIGH OPEN-LOOP GAIN: 114dB min
HIGH COMMON-MODE REJECTION: 96dB min

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2111.pdf

I had originally bought it from ebay to use with a Little Dott Mk1 but at the last second decided on a D2 instead :/

I read in a opamp rolling thread how it was a great opamp. I hope it can work with the D2??

I have one, and when I tried it in my D1 it was my favorite for a while. But, when I reviewed the D1 vs Headsix and Lyrix, the D1 was too distant and far back from the stage, while the AD797 added more bass and was more forward and I stayed with that for 3 months - then I went with a little more neutral but still forward AD743. Both the AD797/743 require a 2:1 adapter and wont fit in the D2. I didn't try the OPA2111 in the D2 because of the distant soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back