UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Apr 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #106 of 1,096
You can leave it plugged in all the time. I never unplug mine, well when I take it out I do or I use a really, really long cord.

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #107 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by psilu001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question. Could D2 use AC adapter all day? Is it safe for D2? Or could damage the D2?

I use mine all day plugged in at work and haven't had any issues

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #108 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use mine all day plugged in at work and haven't had any issues

Thank you.
But I still have some question about that.
Is the battery always charging when i used D2 by AC adapter?
could it damage the battery because the battery always been charged?
Or the battery would not charge when I use the D2?

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #109 of 1,096
I've looked at mine a few times throughout the day and it seems to always have the green LED on which means its fully charged. I don't think you'll be reducing the battery life by using it in this way.

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #110 of 1,096
The D2 has a charging circuit which takes care of charging and protecting the battery so there is nothing to worry about.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #111 of 1,096
Great review. I was wondering one thing it is clear that Pico's DAC is superior to any of these amps that you have reviewed, so the amp section is holding it back from being the best portable DAC+AMP combo ever? Am I right or DAC does not play a important role as the amp does in the portable world ??? Thanks...

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #112 of 1,096
I just think the Pico sounds better driving an amp than driving headphones, but it is still a very good amp - the amp is not holding it back, it just doesn't have the sound signature I am looking for. Neither did the D2. But at least I was able to roll new opamps into the D2 to get the sound signature I wanted.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #113 of 1,096
PS: in other words, with a particular reviewer the Pico doesn't have to do anything wrong to not take 1st place, and 1st place can go to things that don't do everything right. With another reviewer the Pico will be first. When one amp scores a 9.7 and one is a 10.0, it all comes down to preference and synergy, not which is better.

Most of the reviews out there only looked at amps with analog input while I wanted to look at the whole package and what it has to offer, meaning feeding it through the USB. The rank was based on how the sound coming out of my headphones made me feel, in terms of getting lost in music that sounded real and accurate.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #114 of 1,096
Thanks for the responses. I am guessing Predator's analog sounds better that its DAC. While Pico's DAC sounds better than its analog. How would you comment on this ??? Thank you...

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #115 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses. I am guessing Predator's analog sounds better that its DAC. While Pico's DAC sounds better than its analog. How would you comment on this ??? Thank you...

I don't know how to answer that question - I use the Predator most with my iMod and Livewires, and the D2 with my laptop and whatever phone is on hand, and Pico as DAC only into to my tube amp rig in the basement. It's just what feels right to me. But, that doesn't change my ranking when driven by their DACs and looking at the whole package. Read into that what you will
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #116 of 1,096
For anyone using the se530's here's what i found when testing a few different opamps with the D2, if anyones interested
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest I wasn't expecting much difference with IEM. I thought most change would be in open or closed cans...this is probably true to some extent but I personally noticed huge differences in both low and highs.

I was happy last night to finally solder my first opamps to the little IC to 8 dip converters - LM6172 & THS4032. Damn those things are too small!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've now tested using:

1\
main socket\ LT1364 (stock)
second socket\ NE4432 (stock)

2\
main socket\ OPA2111
second socket\ OPA2111

3\
main socket\ LM6172
second socket\ THS4032
Larry suggested this setup mostly for a livewire/grado sounding setup but i liked what he said about the opamps so wanted to test with se530's too
smily_headphones1.gif

I've only had time to REALLY listen to one song
Interpol - Hands Away

I chose this song because it has nice vocals, riffs, bass, its quite short, i know it well and it also has quite a busy section around 1:50
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the song:
YouTube - Interpol-Hands away
2:10, is where I'm referring below to the bass guitar kicking in (or evidently not with stock) and throughout the song you can clearly hear the cymbal I'm referring too. Of course I wasn't using youtube as a reference track! lossless was used. I just wanted to link the track so you know what style Im listening to when i give my opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

main socket\ OPA2111
second socket\ OPA2111
So much bass...more than any of the other setups. nice separation, highs were nice and live sounding. Instruments sounded very spread out...very wide soundstage but sounded nice with this track. High hat sounded clear and live, bass guitar was very pronounced along with the kick drum.

I also listened all day yesterday at work with this setup and electronica was nice. Very full bass. Couldn't complain
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course I wasn't paying full attention but certainly noticed the nice bass.

main socket\ LM6172
second socket\ THS4032
Nice bass again, not quite such a wide sound stage as the 2x OPA2111. Cymbals sounded fantastic just like I was watching the drummer hit the high hat live. Bass guitar was clearly pronounced sounded great. Kick drum clear. Vocals were fantastic.

One thing interesting with this setup is that there wasn't a confused sound when all instruments were playing. I could clearly distinguish each instrument. I could also distinguish with the OPA2111's but the bass was a little heavy with this style music i thought...

Edit: forgot to mention, one amazing change with this opamp setup is that in certain rhythm guitar riffs you could CLEARLY hear the electric guitars distortion ... you know the classic electric guitar distortion when playing through a PA speaker? But not just that...it sounded so live. I loved it. I think its characters like this which the different opamps emphasis. Subtle things which add together to improve certain tracks. Anyway, I'd Never heard this in the song... i was amazed. Well...so amazed that I forgot while writing this
tongue.gif

main socket\ LT1364 (stock)
second socket\ NE4432 (stock)
The standard setup sounded fairly rubbish when directly comparing. Its strange because up until now I thought it sounded fantastic stock!

Basically, bass was non existent in comparison. At certain points in the song i knew I could clearly distinguish the kick drum & bass guitar with the other setups. As stock I could barely hear the kick drum, and bass guitar was a no show. Vocals sounded quite good but the high hat was shocking. It was really bright and just didn't sound "live" like the others did.... i don't know but it wasn't as nice over all. I hope it wasn't just a mental "oh thats stock it can't be good!!"
tongue.gif

Anyway I know the song well and recently saw Interpol so know how the sound engineers want them to sound live. I remember the bass was very nice and full which was just how setup 2 & 3 sounded
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll keep listening to the LM6172 & THS4032 today but will listen again more scrutinizing tonight with a couple other tracks

Other setups I'm keen to try based on Larry's suggestions are:
2x LM6172
&
1\ ISL55002
2\ THS4032

I can't track down the ISL55002 atm though, anyone want to get rid of one (and another LM6172) and can ship to australia?
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #118 of 1,096
wired00,

Thanks for your feedback and testing of different opamp combos. I have one OPA2111 that I might try out, and I am also getting some LMH6622 to try, as well as having a 2:1 over/under adapter made with OPA627 soldered to it.

Let us know what other combos are good!

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #119 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was happy to stumble upon the LM6172/THS4032 combo, and I might get to trying more combinations this weekend too
smily_headphones1.gif

ahh mate im loving that combo. Rock especially just sounds fantastic. There seems more detail which wasn't there before. Again, High hats rattle and sound, electric guitar distortion, kick drum it all just sounds much more live.

For the last couple hours I've been listening to some electronic. I'm thinking that the 2xOPA2111 setup was really nice for that though so I'll give that another try tonight but for now, LM6172/THS4032 combo is staying for some time :p

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #120 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how to answer that question - I use the Predator most with my iMod and Livewires, and the D2 with my laptop and whatever phone is on hand, and Pico as DAC only into to my tube amp rig in the basement. It's just what feels right to me. But, that doesn't change my ranking when driven by their DACs and looking at the whole package. Read into that what you will
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious, how did you separate the amp and DAC for the pico? Does it have a line out that bypasses the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back