UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Jul 4, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #871 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D10 optical > D10 amp
D10 USB > D10 amp
Predator USB > Predator amp
D10 optical line-out > Predator amp
D10 optical headphone out > Predator amp
D10 USB line-out > Predator amp
D10 USB headphone out > Predator amp
Pico USB > Pico amp
D10 optical line-out > Pico amp
D10 optical Headphone out > Pico amp
D10 USB line-out > Pico amp
D10 USB headphone out > Pico amp

Just wondering why the coax was pretty much ignored in the review and comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #872 of 1,096
maybe there is no coax on his macbook? but coax is the king as it is the best for 24/192

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #873 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering why the coax was pretty much ignored in the review and comparisons
smily_headphones1.gif

Because I don't have a portable audio device with coax, just my Macbook and iRiver H140 and some Sony CD players. I suppose I could have used a large Marantz CD5001 with coax out (which I do use coax with my desktop rig) but that didn't seem worth the time after trying the D10 with a variety of combinations of two inputs and two outputs.

I acquired an Akai portable DVD player with coax audio out, but (1) I have a paucity of DVD-A discs and (2) I do not have a duplicate of the music on CD to compare to, and (3) the Akai doesn't do audio CD through the coax out.

We did try the coax hooked up to an S/PDIF distribution center with one source and 5 other DACs - but with the mishmash of digital and analog cables to connect the source to the distribution center, and the DAC's to the pre-amp, and the pre-amp to the 4 amps - the sound wasn't good and was unreliable to compare to other DACs.

Jul 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #875 of 1,096
Quote:

There is a u-shaped indentation, either physical or painted on, at the end where pin one resides. Sometimes the solder pad around where pin 1 enters the opamp board is square, instead of round like the other pins.

Thank you Larry, I founded the U shaped mark and the square on the pin#1, you're a gem!
So, when you receive the D10, it comes with AD711-8532A*2 buffers and a ADA4841-2YRZ opamp.
In the opamp rolling kit, we have AD8656*2, LMH6643*2, Dummy adapter*2.
Are these opamps or buffers ?
What am I supposed to change to test the differences of sound ?
Thx++
Pat

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #876 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatLogan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Larry, I founded the U shaped mark and the square on the pin#1, you're a gem!
So, when you receive the D10, it comes with AD711-8532A*2 buffers and a ADA4841-2YRZ opamp.
In the opamp rolling kit, we have AD8656*2, LMH6643*2, Dummy adapter*2.
Are these opamps or buffers ?
What am I supposed to change to test the differences of sound ?
Thx++
Pat

Opamps are used as buffers, and can be used in the main amp socket as well. The dummy buffers cannot.

Just listen, swap opamp, and listen again. Focus on particular aspects of the sound, and maybe each time you listen you can write down your thoughts about the bass, mids, treble, detail, transparency, neutrality and soundstage. Then compare notes.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #877 of 1,096
Quote:

Opamps are used as buffers, and can be used in the main amp socket as well. The dummy buffers cannot.

Just listen, swap opamp, and listen again. Focus on particular aspects of the sound, and maybe each time you listen you can write down your thoughts about the bass, mids, treble, detail, transparency, neutrality and soundstage. Then compare notes.

Thank you Larry
smily_headphones1.gif

Do the ICs need some burn-in?
Cheers

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #880 of 1,096
Right since my HF2 order has been confirmed, I need to look for a good cheap DAC/amp for them.
Do you think that the HF2's need an amp, or are they fine if they are ran of an iPod touch?
Let's say budget of around £100, which would you say is the "best" for a Grado HF2?

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #881 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right since my HF2 order has been confirmed, I need to look for a good cheap DAC/amp for them.
Do you think that the HF2's need an amp, or are they fine if they are ran of an iPod touch?
Let's say budget of around £100, which would you say is the "best" for a Grado HF2?

Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube hybrid with USB DAC. I have a recent review on it, and it works well with most headphones and IEM, including HF-2: REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #882 of 1,096
Larry, that is insanely epic! Grown alot since I last looked! Thankyou for spending the time to do it - a credit to the community!
biggrin.gif

Looks like an Icon Mobile and D1001's are on my list FOR SURE now! The Denons sound well rounded and pretty balanced from what i've read, and the Icon Mobile should thrash my Behringer and Micro Amp combo, mainly as the Behringer isn't a great source for it really! Ideally i'd like to keep the Micro Amp, grab an Alien DAC, and D1001's for a great rig, but I can't afford to right now! So, Micro Amp is out (so long as someone buys it!) and finally I can get some comfy balanced sounding home cans suitable for around the house (closed!) and not have to lug an amp that is too hissy with my only decent cans, my Livewires, a bad source of a DAC, a power supply, AND a 500g step down transformer for the power supply to Dads whenever I chose to go there for a few days! - and I get a break from stuffed ear canals and constantly taking IEM's out all day (when Mum talks!) with the Denon's!

One day I will replace the Micro Amp, and hopefully be able to get the Micro DAC too, and D5000's! But for now, only way is to sell the Micro Amp, and get better suited gear for the constant moving between homes, and my Livewires...and more gear with a pair of cans for home use too, finally! - Oh I can't wait until finances for a car and insurance is sorted! Big spendddddd time!
tongue.gif

Just hope the Icon Mobile won't have problems with shielding with the Nokia N97 I plan to use as a (miniature version of a netbook like) source at home... Might need the Icon with the D1001's when using the N97. From your review it sounds okay though
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the synergy any good with the Livewires? I hope so, even though they'll only be used with it on occasion, the D2 and N97 will drive the Livewires fine on the go, and when i'm at home, the Denon's will be in use so. Still, good synergy is a bonus in case my soon-to-be-bought Denon's ever have to go (hope not!) and i'm back with just Livewires, or for when i'm ever travelling with the laptop on trains alot (if ever!)...

Wow ramble-a-thon!

Anyway, cheers for the hard work and great review Larry... Set me on the Icon Mobile for sure now, especially for the $80 i've seen them on the forum for! Budget rig FTW!
biggrin.gif

Matt

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #883 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, that is insanely epic! Grown alot since I last looked! Thankyou for spending the time to do it - a credit to the community!
biggrin.gif

Looks like an Icon Mobile and D1001's are on my list FOR SURE now! The Denons sound well rounded and pretty balanced from what i've read, and the Icon Mobile should thrash my Behringer and Micro Amp combo, mainly as the Behringer isn't a great source for it really! Ideally i'd like to keep the Micro Amp, grab an Alien DAC, and D1001's for a great rig, but I can't afford to right now! So, Micro Amp is out (so long as someone buys it!) and finally I can get some comfy balanced sounding home cans suitable for around the house (closed!) and not have to lug an amp that is too hissy with my only decent cans, my Livewires, a bad source of a DAC, a power supply, AND a 500g step down transformer for the power supply to Dads whenever I chose to go there for a few days! - and I get a break from stuffed ear canals and constantly taking IEM's out all day (when Mum talks!) with the Denon's!

One day I will replace the Micro Amp, and hopefully be able to get the Micro DAC too, and D5000's! But for now, only way is to sell the Micro Amp, and get better suited gear for the constant moving between homes, and my Livewires...and more gear with a pair of cans for home use too, finally! - Oh I can't wait until finances for a car and insurance is sorted! Big spendddddd time!
tongue.gif

Just hope the Icon Mobile won't have problems with shielding with the Nokia N97 I plan to use as a (miniature version of a netbook like) source at home... Might need the Icon with the D1001's when using the N97. From your review it sounds okay though
smily_headphones1.gif

Is the synergy any good with the Livewires? I hope so, even though they'll only be used with it on occasion, the D2 and N97 will drive the Livewires fine on the go, and when i'm at home, the Denon's will be in use so. Still, good synergy is a bonus in case my soon-to-be-bought Denon's ever have to go (hope not!) and i'm back with just Livewires, or for when i'm ever travelling with the laptop on trains alot (if ever!)...

Wow ramble-a-thon!

Anyway, cheers for the hard work and great review Larry... Set me on the Icon Mobile for sure now, especially for the $80 i've seen them on the forum for! Budget rig FTW!
biggrin.gif

Matt

I don't recall what I thought of the Nuforce with Livewires. I also don't use the Livewires much ever since I got my Westone ES3X in February, and my son has taken over the Nuforce amp for a while now.

Using the USB input the Nuforce sounds better than with analog input - I added a note to my review a few months ago (around the time of CES show) that it seems to get brighter and more forward via analog input than USB input. LW should be fine with USB input, but I am not sure about with analog input.

I did a review looking at certain IEM + amp combos for synergy, and I would look at that for amp suggestions for amping the Livewires. You can extrapolate conclusions for DAC/amps not in that review, based on my descriptions of the amps compared in this review. Synergy between Portable Amps and IEMs - 9 IEM compared with 9 portable amps = 81 chances to mess up! - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #885 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow not bad at all. Thanks HPA, always a brilliant help.
biggrin.gif
Just a tiny bit over budget (Due to currency rates) but nevertheless, I will look into this amp. All I need is money after spending it all on the HF2's -_-

EF2 is the closest thing to meet your DAC/amp/HF2 needs at near the price you specify. The cheaper portable DAC/amps like Vivid V1 and Nuforce Icon Mobile would not be my choice with the HF-2 as they are not their best with Grados. They will get the job done for $100, but when you've heard better it's hard to recommend them for your headphones.

The Nuforce Icon desktop is also good with HF-2, although not quite as good with HF-2 as the EF2, and it also has a DAC like the EF2, but the EF2 is $189 vs $249 - so that is out. Another option for DAC/amp for HF-2 is the Travagans Green and it is about the same price as the EF2 but also not quite as good for HF-2 as the EF2.

The portables that sound best with HF-2 and have DAC's will cost more than EF2 as well, such as the iBasso D3 and above, including D10, 3MOVE, XM5, Predator, etc. The D2 Boa could do a decent job with the HF-2, but at close to the price of the EF2 and it's not as good with HF-2 as the EF2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back